Flusinews.de: Aerofly fs 2 Review:

• https://flusinews.de/2017/07/review-ipacs-aerofly-fs-2/

Aerofly FS 2 from IPACS is now more than a year old, the developers were represented in May at the flight simulator conference in Paderborn ( flusinews.de report read ) and enthusiastically there with their simulator as well as a virtual reality glasses. Reason enough to take a second look at the program. Of course, we also looked at the free Utah extension as well as the DLC "Northeastern USA" and Orbx Innsbruck closer. Everything else in the new edition of the flusinews.de test report!

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• "Nearly no system depth".... Yeah sure, just plain ignore my entire work of 1.5 years, alright.

We got a dark cessna and a cold Q400 and with the autopilot update the a320 is also quite descent. LJ45 and B747 have a CAS now and there have been a lot of features added...

I know we're not done yet but we're reaching default FSX level and already exceed it in some areas.

Okay, I'm done now. :D

Thanks for the link

• I'm glad it's written in German... this way I don't even have to bother with reading any rubbish....

AEFS2 is moving, in a very sound and promising way, in the right direction. Being based on a very small team has it disadvantages for us impatient users, but also the big advantage of not suffering from the same budget constraints of having a lot of developers behind it.

People should really give the Q-400 a good try. Even those features that we could not test with the previous ME prop aircraft now highlight the quality of the flight dynamics possible with AEFS2. Fail an engine in the Q-400 and experiment that kind of emergency. Turn off the Yaw Damper ( which I believe is actually being modelled )...

Promising and already more than worth the have!

Limited by Main Thread...

• The part about the flap pitch moment also shows a significant lack of basic aerodynamic knowledge.

Probably false training by other sims and very important youtubers telling them it should be like this... *ahem*

When neither of them have actually flown the real deal.

All I can tell is that the glider in my flying club that has flaps has the trim attached to that lever. When you increase flaps it automatically trims back. Net change in pitch is small but the trim is now further aft... So flaps create pitch down there....

In real life there is a lot more going on. Depends if you have fowler flaps or just plain flaps or even split flaps. Even spoilers have a pitching moment and that is all modeled relatively well in Aerofly...

But yeah if they want pitch up that is an easy fix, just increase the CmFlap of the airfoil and you have more pitch up. Make is even more negative and you don't have to trim at all or even trim up when you set flaps. Depends on the aircraft.

• Turn off the Yaw Damper ( which I believe is actually being modelled )...

Yes it is. May need some improvements for dutch roll and maybe some compensation for side slips (coordinate turn better).

But yeah, you can turn it on or off.. or even fail it if electricity goes out

• Very evident for instance in the way different sims model, for instance, the pitching moments due to flap deflection in a Spitfire...

The real aircraft pitches down because the downwash in the HS and elevator causes a sudden decrease in their relative AoA, and hence a reduction in their lift and pitching moment, and the elevator actually moves fwd in the cockpit, the pilot having to pull it back to counter the pitch down...

You can actually see it all correctly simulated for instance in DCS World, but not in IL2, or many of the models available for X-plane or MSFS and derivates...

In AEFS2 I believe it can be realistic since the engine actually calculates downwash deflection on-the-fly...

We have to get a Spitfire in AEFS2 :)

Limited by Main Thread...

• Look at it on the brightside. AF2 is being measured against the 'cream of of the crop'. And that's a compliment for the progress such a young sim has already made.

We know in which area's the sim will develop further. A review pointing that out, in not so subtle way, wont change that.

• No worry. I always believe "a bad review is better than no review". :)

And I can't read German. Neither can most people. :)

"Nearly no system depth".... Yeah sure, just plain ignore my entire work of 1.5 years, alright.

We got a dark cessna and a cold Q400 and with the autopilot update the a320 is also quite descent. LJ45 and B747 have a CAS now and there have been a lot of features added...

I know we're not done yet but we're reaching default FSX level and already exceed it in some areas.

Okay, I'm done now. :D

Thanks for the link

• The real aircraft pitches down because the downwash in the HS and elevator causes a sudden decrease in their relative AoA, and hence a reduction in their lift and pitching moment, and the elevator actually moves fwd in the cockpit, the pilot having to pull it back to counter the pitch down...

Yeah but then DCS models stick force and not stick deflection. This is a difficult one because you can't get it right with the limited hardware that we have.

I could argue that I am holding the stick fix and suddenly it drops down when it should just increase the pressure. Then the aircraft would probably pitch up and not down, who knows. This is a really though question and it's affected greatly by how someone interprets the spring force in his/her control device.

When you remove the spring in your joystick and map the real world stick deflection 1:1 to your joystick and set it up this way another person will tell you the flap behavior is wrong. You just can't get it right, there will always be someone who thinks it should be different.

• Use google translate, I did and it's pretty good

Overall I think it's very good review.

I have been simming since day one, I'm 50yo, I own them all (the Sim), I have spent 1000' of $$ in that hobby.

So i'm not new to this... but I could't care less about my expensive PMDG plane. To complicated for me. I have NO time to learn everything.

Even after all those years I am still a casual simmer so AF2 suit me perfectly. And yes, I own V4 and use it sometime....

In real life I am multi IFR certified but I just hate when I have to use it, I always fly VFR, and on top I love the simple 172, why, it's simple and as high wing, perfect for VFR.

Cheers

Ben

BennyBoy. I5 8600K @ 4,3ghz, 16 ram, GTX 1060 6G @ UW @2560 X 1080. Sim: AF2 & P3D V4