I am playing with OpenStreetMap, and I am thrilled at the prospect of combining it with GeoConvert scenery

• Yes I know it has already been implemented into the other sim with the third party tool, but I did not know it's so accurate with so many varieties, and so easy to achieve. I am hooked.

Especially for some European countries, it's the exact reconstruction of the real world, and it's 3D!

And it would be so much better if it could be added upon GeoConvert, as FS2 looks so much better, and runs so much smoother.

• Yes I know it has already been implemented into the other sim with the third party tool, but I did not know it's so accurate with so many varieties, and so easy to achieve. I am hooked.

Especially for some European countries, it's the exact reconstruction of the real world, and it's 3D!

And it would be so much better if it could be added upon GeoConvert, as FS2 looks so much better, and runs so much smoother.

It's 3D because the other sim uses Autogen ( I suppose you're talking about XP11), but the photoreal images are still flattened out. Have you tried it in Aerofly FS 2?, how do you know it's running smoother?.

Cheers, Ed

Can you show up some examples?

Regards,

Ray

• I have no clue what this is all about. How would you combine OSM with GeoConvert? And what varieties are you talking about and what is easy to achieve?

• Of course it's autogen, but it's special kind of autogen that sits on exactly the same location where it should be, and showing exact types. It's the perfect match with the photo real scenery.

It's 3D because the other sim uses Autogen ( I suppose you're talking about XP11), but the photoreal images are still flattened out. Have you tried it in Aerofly FS 2?, how do you know it's running smoother?.

Cheers, Ed

• I think I am beginning to get it: you must be playing with XP and Ortho4XP? I thought you were doing something with OSM itself. Your OP left out a lot of detail... ;)

• I am talking about World2XP and Ortho4XP, and I am suggesting something like World2FS2, or maybe it could be imbedded into a future advavanced version of GeoConvert that can download and convert OSM elements upon photo real scenery.

I think I am beginning to get it: you must be playing with XP and Ortho4XP? I thought you were doing something with OSM itself. Your OP left out a lot of detail... ;)

• Currently there is no way to add it to FSET. Only Ortho4XP can be used with OSM data.

I think using 3D objects from OpenStreetMap data might be especially good for FS2, as IPACS team is small and they don't have much time to develop the scenery. The market of FS2 is small and there are very few third party DLC (currently only Innsbruck and Meig), so it would be great if we users can easily add accurately classed and placed 3D objects to the GeoConvert scenery.

How do you add a data source to FSET?

• Here is a pic of OSM Saltzburg scenery. You can see the trees and buildings are all on their exact location, and the buildings are quite varied according to their type in real life. Of course it would be even better if we can hand model those 3d objects one by one, but that would take tremendous amount of work. The good thing about OSM is that it can do the work automatically and accurately.

• Tonywob, the creator of World2XP has already expressed his interest in Aerofly, and I passed it on. I believe he is waiting for them to reciprocate that interest, which I'm hoping they might, eventually.

Last I spoke to him, he was working on an airport (oceano) and mentioned to me that he would like to get it into Aerofly. https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/5…irport-l52-wip/

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• Wow that's very exciting news. Please do pass on our admiration and wish for him!

Tonywob, the creator of World2XP has already expressed his interest in Aerofly, and I passed it on. I believe he is waiting for them to reciprocate that interest, which I'm hoping they might, eventually.

Last I spoke to him, he was working on an airport (oceano) and mentioned to me that he would like to get it into Aerofly. https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/5…irport-l52-wip/

• That would be so awesome if Tonywob came onboard to make a World2XP but for AFS2. Though one of my issues with W2XP was that the buildings looked a bit bland, which is to be expected for such generic autogen, though I'm more a fan of the regional autogen from Orbx. But nevertheless, it would enhance the photoreal experience.

- Ashley

P3D v4 / AFS2 / XP11 | Intel i7-4790K oc'ed @ 4.6GHz | 16GB RAM | 8GB Nvidia GTX1070 | Windows 10 64-bit | Oculus Rift

• The quality of the individual buildings can be worked on fairly easily in the future - it's the correct placement and general height + orientation that would really be wonderful for FS2. Please IPACS, help Tonywob just a little - it would seem that a TSC file with the VREF entry for each building along with scale factor (to get the height near correct) and lon-lat + orientation would be a great start. I would be happy with a rectangular building as opposed to a completely correct footprint.

• Here you are. :)

I used to think 3D objects converted from OSM look bland, but actually it's quite accurate and varied, especially in countries like Austria, Switzerland, Germany, and France, because the users in those countries input a lot of information, down to almost every building and forest. Please keep in mind that this is not ordinary autogen and it's not guess work. It's good to know these are accurate geo appearance. It's especially a good match with photo scenery. And you don't have to create it yourself. Just download the ready made one from Simheaven, and the size is quite moderate, as it's not made of photos, but geo information.

Can you give us a shot from outside? Great work!

Andy😎