Is there a way to set the scenery location folder other than on the C drive.

• It has always worked for me. That is strange.

F:\Steam\steamapps\common\Aerofly FS 2 Flight Simulator\scenery\images\name of whatever scenery I made\then the files in that directory.

So for example: F:\Steam\steamapps\common\Aerofly FS 2 Flight Simulator\scenery\images\austria\ then the new files go in there.

But that is the unsafest method you could do. Better would be in your user documents but some people don't have room there, that is when the "extra user folder" discussed here can be used. Instead of putting your files into the original folder where steam could delete them, e.g. when it checks integrity of the game, you should move them somewhere else!

• I did try it with E:\aerofly\scenery\images\files and it didn't work.

I have never trusted folder names with spaces so I opted not to use My scenery as a folder name.

Sorry it does not work for you Ray that's computers I guess.

With regard to spaces in file/folder names I have used them for years without problems, it's probably a throw back to dos days when spaces could not be used, and still can't.

Sure you will get it sorted eventually.

Mick

• Sorry it does not work for you Ray that's computers I guess.

With regard to spaces in file/folder names I have used them for years without problems, it's probably a throw back to dos days when spaces could not be used, and still can't.

Sure you will get it sorted eventually.

Mick

It also assures cross platform compatibility. Aerofly Rc also runs on Mac OS and Aerofly FS 2 runs on mobile android and iOS as well. It is the safest option to go with no spaces and only English letters. But on your local computer you can use what ever you want. As soon as you share your work you should stick to "no spaces" only lower case etc. so that future users on other platforms are able to use your download. And if you plan to share your work with us why not stick to the rule right away, it only get's more difficult to clean it up afterwards.

• But that is the unsafest method you could do. Better would be in your user documents but some people don't have room there, that is when the "extra user folder" discussed here can be used. Instead of putting your files into the original folder where steam could delete them, e.g. when it checks integrity of the game, you should move them somewhere else!

I of course keep copies of all my created scenery in another directory on the computer. It would be a matter of a few minutes to replace them if for some reason Steam deletes them. But to each their own solution!

• In case you haven't seen the original thread, thanks to Rodeo we now have a solution:

User Defined Custom Folder Location Setting Added to Aerofly FS2 (Main.MCF)

You can't just add the scenery folder as "extra user folder". It has to be the parent folder of the scenery folder, because the scenery folder is only part of the user folder. So it should be "E:\aerofly" in the main config and not "E:\aerofly\scenery". And on the hard drive is should be E:\aerofly\scenery or E:\aerofly\aircraft

You could do "E:\scenery" in the main.mcf but then you would have to move all your files into another scenery folder on the disk and it would get confusing: "E:\scenery\scenery". Just don't call your extra user folder "scenery" like Rodeo already warned about.

• In case you haven't seen the original thread, thanks to Rodeo we now have a solution:

User Defined Custom Folder Location Setting Added to Aerofly FS2 (Main.MCF)

You can't just add the scenery folder as "extra user folder". It has to be the parent folder of the scenery folder, because the scenery folder is only part of the user folder. So it should be "E:\aerofly" in the main config and not "E:\aerofly\scenery". And on the hard drive is should be E:\aerofly\scenery or E:\aerofly\aircraft

You could do "E:\scenery" in the main.mcf but then you would have to move all your files into another scenery folder on the disk and it would get confusing: "E:\scenery\scenery". Just don't call your extra user folder "scenery" like Rodeo already warned about.

Well, we tried that a week ago and it didn't work. I have E:\aerofly\scenery\images\scenery files and it doesn't work. This was suggested by Jan several days ago. e:\aerofly is the specified user defined folder in main.mcf.

Maybe someone can actually write down something that works using non capital letters and no spaces and I will gladly give it a try - because absolutely nothing has worked so far.

It sounds like we need to avoid using the word scenery in the new user defined scenery folder, duh.

Regards,

Ray

• Just knock the spaces and capitol letters out of what I said before and it will work.

Mick

Mick,

Thanks for sticking with solving the mystery.

I thought I had already tried that about a dozen times. It has to be something else keeping it from working. Maybe the files can't be in an image folder or something along those lines.

I hate playing games when I don't know the rules.

I'm going to have my first cup of coffee for the morning and take a fresh look at it. Damn, I just wish I was as smart as a 2nd grader.

Regards,

Ray

• Ray can I respectfully suggest you start from scratch?

Set up folders the following folders on your E? drive: myscenerytest - scenery - images - test1.

Place your generated files in the test1 folder.

copy/past this to your main.mcf folder: <[string8][extra_user_folder][E:\myscenerytest]> change the drive letter if not E

If this does not work I am at a loss.

The above file structure works for me be it in lowercase, uppercase and with spaces.

Hope this helps

Mick

Just been told by the boss I have to do some gardening so will see if it works for you later.

• Nope. Followed to the letter, No Joy. Something is really F'd up.

Regards,

Ray

• Question for those IPACS gurus.

I noticed that my win7 user My Documents, rather than documents, in the path to the stored images for AF2.

Is it possible that, somehow, Aerofly FS2 is looking for documents, not My Documents, in the path for the additional user folder that I am having so much trouble with?

See image.

Regards, Ray

• I just confirmed that this is indeed working.

Ray, did you happen to manually enter the field into the main.mcf file? The last update should have entered the field automatically.

When you create a folder on a different drive, name it one word (example: test), inside the folder add a sub folder: scenery. Inside the scenery folder add folders: places and images.

Also, make sure that you don't have duplicates in the documents folder and your newly created folder.

Confirm all of this and respond back to let us know if you got anywhere

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Since Aerofly looks for the folder that you specified in the main.mcf field I don't think that this would make a difference. Are your files found in your "my Documents" folder prior to this?

On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• I just confirmed that this is indeed working.

Ray, did you happen to manually enter the field into the main.mcf file? The last update should have entered the field automatically.

When you create a folder on a different drive, name it one word (example: test), inside the folder add a sub folder: scenery. Inside the scenery folder add folders: places and images.

Also, make sure that you don't have duplicates in the documents folder and your newly created folder.

Confirm all of this and respond back to let us know if you got anywhere

Thanks Jeff.

No, I did not add the String8 line, it was there with the update around the Q400 entry period.

I have been using a one word (other than scenery) in the String8 line, i.e. [E:\aerofly] then creating that new folder on E:\ with a subfolder for scenery then a subfolder for images, and placing the user images in this images folder using unique folder names.

I do not understand the . . . .

I understand not having duplicates in the newly created folder, but I don't understand which 'documents folder' you are referring to in the first part of the statement.

Regards,

Ray

• Is it possible that, somehow, Aerofly FS2 is looking for documents, not My Documents, in the path for the additional user folder that I am having so much trouble with?

No because "My Documents" is just the name not the path. On a German Windows it says "Dokumente" but the path is still "documents" I think. Desktop is also not a real path, that is in the user directory as well... Windows hides the real path here, for some reason.

If you click into the windows explorer path (the one that you took the screenshot of) you can actually copy the path. And in the main.mcf file all you need to do is paste that path and it should work.

• Since Aerofly looks for the folder that you specified in the main.mcf field I don't think that this would make a difference. Are your files found in your "my Documents" folder prior to this?

Yes.

see image

• No because "My Documents" is just the name not the path. Desktop is also not a real path, that is in the user directory as well...

If you click into the windows explorer path (the one that you took the screenshot of) you can actually copy the path. And in the main.mcf file all you need to do is paste that path and it should work.

A little hand holding here. Copy what path to exactly where in the what file?

Regards,

Ray

• A little hand holding here. Copy what path to exactly where in the what file?

Regards,

Ray

Ray, disregard that. All you are doing is correct from my point of view. What Jan meant was to just copy your folder structure from your folder window and paste it between the brackets in the string (main.mcf)

Regards,

Jeff