Posts by Jet-Pack (IPACS)

As a VR user I find the map to be not very user friendly. There does not seem to be a method of zooming in and out without going to the mouse?

A drop down list and search box would be much more user friendly. +1

Pinch to zoom like on your smartphone...

hold both arms together in front of you to that they touch the map, move them apart to zoom in

Also if you inadvertently map the Helicopter throttle to something, I believe the governor then defaults to off. (?)

I spent 30 minutes trying to figure out why flying in Profi mode was virtually impossible. Once I cleared the throttle mapping I managed to do a flight in Profi, after getting the hang of tail rotor control.

If you leave the throttle at 50% then you are OK. But if you increase the throttle then your rotor RPM actually goes above the 100% and if you throttle down it drops below it (just like in the real thing). That's why it is best to not assign the throttle at all.

The engine is always on per default because this is what 99.99% of the use cases will be.

You can turn off the engine and restart it just like in the real thing (you can watch real world videos and should be able to follow along)

For beginners: magnetos to off, rotor brake on. Wait for it to stop.

Rotor brake off, Then clutch open, throttle cracked, mixture rich, magnetos to start (keep scrolling until it starts), clutch close, wait for rotor to accelerate, throttle up slowly until governor takes over.

The gyroscopic effect is accounted for by the links that connect the blades to the swashplate, these are very roughly about 90 degrees ahead of the blades respectively. Everything looks ok, I guess IPACS didn't miss anything.

What he said. There is a phase shift and we don't have to specifically implement this, due to the nature of our physics simulation the gyroscopic effect just comes out of the simulation, without the need to fake it.

Its the real world geometry of the blades being actuated 90° in front of the swashplate that makes it possible to tilt the rotor in the same direction as the swashplate.

The same physical effects can be seen in the Camel airplane, the high inertia of the rotating engine and propeller cause a yawing motion each time you pitch up and down. That is the exact same physics, a rotating mass which you try to tilt up and down but your input causes another movement when the propeller is rotated 90° later.

And before you ask, yes the gyroscopic effects of the tail rotor are also simulated. Even the tail rotor driveshaft twist...

Jeff, I have a serious problem after these updates; all of a sudden my frame rate in the Palm Springs area plummeted to below 20, with stuttering galore.

I switched planes, turned down clouds, etc. to no avail. I checked and installed my latest video drivers and restarted my computer. When I restarted AFS2 all was well until I approached PSP, and again frame rates crashed.

Something is up.... and it's not good

Can you send us your tm.log file from your documents, aerofly fs 2 folder?

Do you use open gl or vulkan?

There are heliports what show up as "H" on the map and there are helipads on existing airports. Click on the airport and on the airport diagram there will be an "H" for each helipad.

There are helipads now at a lot of airports, but not every real world airport has one, so you won't find one at every airport.

Places you can try: San Francisco Bay area, you should see at least two heliports there.

If you don't see any in the location dialog then please do a game file integrity check in steam.

You don't have to manage the rotation speed or the rotor, that is taken care of by the governor, default on, default enabled, default not assigned since you don't need to do any changes to it.

Let's see John

Initially the helicopter is on the ground, it is supposed to idle. Next we have to accelerate (increase the r.p.m. = Throttle); once the rpm is increased, we gently activate the collective, and consequently ascend. Once we reach the desired altitude (with rpm at approximately 75% of its power (or any other), we would continue to move horizontally.When we want to descend, we must necessarily decrease the angle of attack of the blade, consequently, it will increase its rpm (consequence of the decrease in lift), and here again, we have to decrease the throttle, otherwise, the blades would increase in excess their rpm

If my reasoning is wrong, I beg you to explain it to me, but I have a hard time believing, that it is not necessary to act on the power applied to the helicopter engine and that we solve everything with the collective, once certain rpm of the blades has been reached.

Regards: Delfin

You don't need to adjust the throttle at all. I have don't even have it assigned and it works perfectly. Just increase collective and the power will be increased automatically, by the governor. Just ignore all the engine management and raise the collective, that will lift you up.... If you want to descent just move the collective down again. No need to adjust any rotation speed!

Hi,

for me the long needle (feet in hundreds) hides behind the background between 400-800ft (on any thousands). It makes no difference if i am on Open GL or on Vulcan. It looks like the background mesh of the altimeter-gauge is not plain flat or if the needle swings behind the background.

Can anyone confirm this (just want to now if this is only on my machine...)?

Best regards and THANK YOU FOR THIS VERY GREAT BIRD! :thumbup:

Philip

Noted, thanks!

The main rotor rpm remains constant in a helicopter, so it's a bit counter intuitive at first when you are used to more power/faster prop/aeroplane goes up in air.

The clutch comes in for when the engine stops while you are still up in the air, it allows the rotor to keep spinning and give you some control even though you may have no engine power. That allows the helicopter to sort of act like a big parachute and get you down safely, it's called an auto rotation.

There are lots of good tutorials on youtube, but Nick Murray has an excellent channel of helicopter reviews, Smarter Every Day did some good stuff, and there's one called 'helicopter lessons in ten minutes or less', that's really good. I'll post some links when I have a bit of time.

The R22 also has a free wheel, you can't depend on just the clutch when the engine stopp mid air. You'd need to be fast to disengage the clutch...

The clutch is more to start the engine without having to spin the rotor.

I have noticed a bug when viewing a recorded segment of the R22. The main rotor on play back is turning in slow motion.

Other than that I have not seen any problems. I just completed a flight from Trenton NJ to the FedEx terminal at Newark airport and it was a blast to fly the R22 and to land. Getting better at landing.

Great work to the IPACS team.

I think that is like a shutter speed effect. The recording only samples the state every so often, which means couple or rotations get lost each time. We might be able to fix it, I'll ask