Posts by Jet-Pack

Hi Steve,

Fuel Controller

here are all properties that are available currently:

The FuelFlowLowIdle, Maximum control the fuel flow range (in kg/s) which are basically the hard limits for your low ground idle (where the engine can run without assistance and your full power (which melts your engine).

PFuelFlowNH is a constant that defines how much fuel is to be added per target NH increase, that is roughly: (fuel_max - fuel_idle) / (nh_max - nh_idle) - more means the engine will add a lot of fuel to accelerate up to target nh and less means not burning up in flames.

PFuelFlowThrottle is a feed forward control from the InputThrottle, that's like how much fuel goes in - can be tuned via throttle map

FuelFlowLightUpFlat controls how much fuel is injected for the first part of the engine start - that fuel should be enough to stabilize the flames but shouldn't flood the engine at such low speeds - NHLightUpFlatEnd is defines the NH at which the controller switches to NH governing mode. The NH start is when you manually introduce fuel but you could just use a logic_greater NH > some value to change your condition lever input.

NHTarget is the target rotation speed at the start of the simulation, needed because internally the FADEC ramps the target up and down slowly.

NHRating is the maximum takeoff power core rotation speed, which could be 1.07 or 107% or 1.04 (104% NH)

ThrottleMap is a mapping from your throttle input to a fraction between NHIdle and NHRating, for input 0.5 that mapping above returns the half way point between idle and rating. So basically nh_target = nh_idle * ( 1.0 - mapping_value ) + nh_rating * mapping_value. This is very useful because the actual thrust or power curve of the engine tends to be non-linear, this would be a way to counter that and could artificially increase the target NH early so that you have 50% thrust or power for 50% throttle input. Normally this would not be the case because the engine components get more efficient for higher power settings (towards their design power setting).

The condition lever has a cut off range from 0.0 to about 0.1 I think and above that it goes from low idle target to high idle target (which you can adjust if you need) - you can think of that as your engine start/stop switch if your helicopter has that, if not - it probably has a cut off switch, then use that.

ITT

Yes the ITT rises nearly instantly, this is realistic in a sense that the actual ITT follows very close to the fuel flow, if you burn more fuel you heat up the gases very quickly. What you have experienced in the real world is the time delay caused by the heat transfer within the ITT probe. You can't directly measure the temperatures, your probes would melt, so you use other methods with metal parts that don't melt, but those need to get hot first before you can see an ITT increase.

If you want to see your ITT increase slower you can use a first order delay:

Code
    1. <[first_order_low_pass][EngineTOT][]
    2. <[string8][Input][EngineStation45.OutputTotalTemperature]>
    3. <[float64][TimeConstant][3.0]>
    4. <[string8][Value][755.8]>
    5. >

This simulates the probe heating up and your indicated turbine temperature becomes slower.

Generally speaking this is how our engine stimulation works:

Each turbo component simulates the thermodynamic process of that part with compressor maps, turbine maps, efficiency coefficients, etc. etc. These parts together create what we call an engine. Currently the only place we can adjust is the fuel flow, but we might add stuff like reverser flaps, mach inlets, variable stator vanes, bleed air extraction, etc. And we have connections to the outside using gear boxes to the core shaft and also the power turbine shaft. Those connections are necessary for the generators and starters.

The fuel flow that we add to the combustion chamber is in kg/s and it can either be controlled fully manually if you create some form of mapping from the throttle lever or it can be fed through the simple fuel_controller, which is pretty stupid on its own, or it can be generated by the FADEC which can have more complex, fully digital control loops.

So far we have only implemented a few FADECs specifically for that particular engine (see q400) but I think when we add more FADECs for the turbofans for example, we might create a more generic FADEC which can handle a certain engine category (e.g. twin spool high bypass turbofans or an afterburning jet fighter engine or maybe even a helicopter one with rotor speed governing, etc.)

What I love about this

The problems that you will encounter with controlling the engine are actually really similar to real world problems. It helps me better understand the physics behind real world engines.

I think with the developer camera (the outside one) you can already teleport but you need to double click the mouse for that, don't think there is a vr assignment yet and I don't know if that works in VR or not.

It's not that it is impossible, we just don't want the average user have to go through a lengthy setup process for each aircraft individually.

But if we keep the default profile assigned to all aircraft I don't think that would be an issue.

I'd still prefer that a profile could be saved for each aircraft. For example I use two Saitek throttle quadrants for the Duchess with the two levers on the left for the throttle, the two in the middle for the prop pitch and the two on the right for mixture. When I fly the Learjet, I use the same Saitek throttle blocks with the lefternmost lever for the spoilers, the right lever of the first and the left of the second for the throttle and the right lever of the second quadrant for the Flaps. Same for the A320, I use some modified Levers for that. Either way, I have to reprogram the throttle blocks every time I switch from the Duchess to the Learjet iror the other way around.

So you are willing to setup all controls for all 20 default aircraft? Don't you think there is at least a little bit of similarity between the control assignments for a twin engine piston Baron B58 and a twin engine piston Duchess?

Between these two aircraft, what would you assign different? And doesn't the C90 fall into the same category, too?

And what would you switch if you change from the Learjet to the A320?

Of course different assignments are desired between different aircraft categories, but could you live with having one assignment for the different categories, instead of for each aircraft? This could then switch automatically, depending on what aircraft you load. And it would work for any new aircraft that you install - without the need to set up everything all over again.

And what do you think of my other suggestions, i.e. prioritizing which functions you want on your throttle quadrants and then not even needing to assign anything specifically for the different categories?

Under Windows \ or / might both work and it does also not distinguish between capital letters and lower case letters in file names. This is where a lot of user sceneries break, because of the upper and lower case differences. If you are developing any kind of content for aerofly, please stick to lower case only otherwise Mac users and maybe even Linux, Android and iOS users won't be able to use it.

Sounds fantastic! Are we talking cold and dark when you start in a parking spot like with the Duchess, or do we have to turn everything off ourselves?

Same as before, simulation starts with engines running but you can shut them down if you do the right steps. It just means the aircraft systems are capable of doing a complete shut down and restart.

The option to start the simulation with engines off (cold) or even cold and dark is independent of the aircraft. If we add that in it will be a menu option when you select the location on the ramp at the gate or parking position and will work for all aircraft that support having their engines shut down. And it is this list of aircraft that we try to extend first in order to make this feature useful enough or worth it to be added.

Hi Michael,

We had similar threads in the past were we explained our intentions.

I always asked what exactly you need to have different between aircraft but never got a really good answer.

What stops you from having several devices like your yoke and sidestick connected all the time? As far as I know we allow multiple devices to control the same axis and the last one you used will become the active controller.

The only thing that I see that maybe needs a differentiation is the assignment of the throttle levers. You might want to have a different assignment for a single engine, twin engine or multi-engine aircraft, gliders or fighters if you only have a single throttle quadrant. But you probably don't need to change something within one aircraft category... Or, realistically speaking, what would do different between say...

an A320, B737, LJ45, F15, F18 or any other twin jet?
    or between C90, B58, P38 or other twin engine aircraft?

or between B747, A380 or any other jet with that many engines?

or between C172, Camel, DR400, Extra, Pitts, F4U, Jungmeister? (e.g. switch flaps for propeller speed)

Or maybe you could live with a totally different solution?

Define which device axes are your priority axes (axis 1, 2, 3, 4 in that order)

and which functions you prefer to control with axes: E.g. throttles (all together or individual), next your propeller speed, then mixture, then flaps and maybe airbrakes (in that order).

And then the simulator could decide what to assign where. E.g. if the simulator sees an aircraft with flaps but without propeller speed it could swap those out for you. This way you don't have to setup anything much and it doesn't depend on the aircraft specifically but we can find an optimal solution for you.

We could even break this down further into few basic decisions:

Multi throttle controls | one axes for all | two axes (smart) | as many axes as there are engines |

Multi propeller-speed controls (same options as above)

Multi mixture controls (same options as above)

Please reorder to change the priority

| Throttle | Propeller Speed | Mixture | Flaps | Airbrake | (you could for example drag them left and right)

We are looking into ways to save the last flight's settings better but we will make sure that if you do any damage to your aircraft that this is not persistent between sessions so that you can enjoy flying and don't have to find the hidden menu option to reset the aircraft.

We also want to make some cockpit settings carry over from one aircraft to the next or when you move around. E.g. keep the radio frequencies and course selections and, if possible, things like selected heading, altitude, state of the engine (running/not running if you are on the ground) and stuff like that.

This is going to take some time though as you can imagine and you might see more and more things get persistent over time, or maybe not... i.d.k. we haven't decided exactly what we will do and we would like to keep this open so that we can change things around. This has to be thought out well because there are many places where annoying bugs can be introduced.

With this alpha we mainly want to check if aerofly runs stable on all your different setups and that we didn't miss anything critical. There are a lot of new features in the alpha, yes the ones I mentioned are included, but we would like you to focus on testing if everything else works as it should before getting distracted with the news stuff :)

Hi Steve,

try initializing the speed at 0.1 or so, small but non-zero, this should help.

The numbering we use follows the international agrees standard for turbo engines but you can rename the objects as you wish.

What actually matters is how you connect the components, e.g. hook up the compressor between stations 2 and 3 (or what ever name you give them), etc.

I've never seen the ITT running away, maybe you have some internal connections not set up correctly? E.g. if one component adds mass flow to the wrong station or gets values from the wrong station you could get a lot of unwanted side effects. (Essentially violating actio=reactio)

Would be great if we could have stores to be added

• Center tank, to print STBY 121-50 on the side ;)
    • Aim-9X on win tip
    • AIM-120C on the fuse

Please remember that Aerofly is USK 0, weapons are not really suited for children, that want to play Aerofly, too.

Hi Steve,

MassFull is the new name for MaximumQuantity, the latter will be removed at some point. They both control the internal MassFull varibale, I just left the old name in so that the user aircraft won't crash right away but they will eventually crash if they don's switch to MassFull (just not yet).

To mix multiple fuel inputs for a tank you should use the fuel_line and just keep adding fuel onto it. The fuel collector tank is then just connected to the fuel line. But: this is not working 100% consistently, so you can overfill the collector tank and it will happily void some of the fuel (simulated as if it would overflow through the fuel vents). I wouldn't put too much effort into this, rather keep it simple because we plan on overhauling the entire fuel system which will break yours. So don't spend to much time here, it will change at some point.

I would do sth like this: two fuel tanks, two fuel lines connected to those and those two lines connected for cross feed, then, from each fuel line, run a pump to the engine fuel line - done. Leave the collector tanks away for now.

Hi Joe,

how do you connect the logitech 3d to your mobile device?
    Or are you actually talking about the desktop version, in which case I am going to move this thread over there?

If you are using the mobile version, if you disconnect the joystick, does the reverser work when you travel fast enough (e.g. above 100kts, pull throttle slider all the way back)?