Posts by Trespassers

Hi,

I successfully Geoconverted Level 15 (but not Level 16).

If the source image resolution isn't as high as (or higher than) target Level resolution, Geoconvert pretends compiling but doesn't output any file.

The effective resolution corresponding to a world grid Level depends on Latitude.

Cheers

Antoine

I tend to agree the C172 panel doesn't look so real due to that tv screen in front of the pax seat.

I'd say the same for the DR400 device featuring an old frame-mounted GPS but displaying a kind of tiny moving photo map without much useful information.

It however starts looking better when you switch it off... ;) but it would be nice if there was a GPS display instead.

Cheers

Antoine

(...)

I see there are a lot of errors coming from 3rd party scenery in that log file.

Yes, I noticed quite a lot of error from Florida Keys scenery and some Orbx products.

While fixing errors from my own sceneries I noticed most errors, if not fatal, tend to cost some load time while the system is searching for stuff...

Good luck with your investigations

Cheers

Antoine

This approach seems very interesting to me. But, how can I compile a TGI file as XREF-library (do you have an example of a *.tsc file for the "content converter" of IPACS)?

Here's a quick XREF generating tuto.

Below the TMC code, with [type][xref]

And do the XREF objects also work if they have multiple textures?

Yes if you mean a single object uses for instance a set of 3 textures. What is relevant is object name : you call an XREF object by this name, not by its textures...

If you mean a same aircraft with 3 liveries, each must be defined as an object in the library, i.e. 3 aircraft, each with 1 livery.

Cheers

Antoine

One more point : if you place objects at an airport for which you have a ground polygon (flatten) defined, then it's important to call all objects, cultivation or XREFs from the same airport TSC file, otherwise autoheight calculation won't take the airport ground polygon into account, resulting in floating/sunk objects.

Cheers

Antoine

No idea how to compile objects into a library, or how to create .toc files.

You have above an example of TOC file with 3 objects.

The first, easy step is to just copy-paste and edit it with Notepad (or even better Notepad++, it's free) to call 3 specific objects from an existing XREF library (see IPACS XREFs) and place them to your desired coordinates (lonlat). It may be 3 times the same object, like the DC3 for instance.

You save that text file with a .TOC extension in your scenery folder.

You do the same with the example of TSC file, or if you already have one for your airport, you just add the bottom cultivation call block (lines 28-31 of my example) to your airport TSC file. Make sure you edit the TOC file name at line 29 to match the file you just created.

Cheers

Antoine

Creating own custom XREFs libraries is quite easy too : just superpose all 3D objects of your library in a single TGI file and compile as XREF.

Perhaps it's better to define all your objects as XREFs, you can even scale them (water towers, helipads are good examples)

Cheers

Antoine

I Kenneth,

There are 2 methods:

1) place a dummy object and name it after the XREF object you want to appear. It's easy but usually requests a tool like 3DSMax or AC3D to place the dummy object.

2) XREFS may be placed as cultivation (it's actually now a 4th category of cultivation objects after plants, bulidings and lights).

The second method is much easier and versatile. There's even now a scale parameter that allows scaling the object (very useful for generic objects like pylons, churches, etc.)

Below an extract of xref_lib_LFPL_APT_access_X_10_81C0_A800.toc file, showing the code to place 3 XREF objects from a custom-made XREF library (the complete toc file contains many more entries).

Like any other cultivation, the TOC file must be declared in a TSC file

Example of TSC file declaring the above xref_lib_LFPL_APT_access_X_10_81C0_A800.toc file

Hope this helps

Cheers

Antoine

Hi all,

The topic has been discussed here, with even a statement from Admin clarifying the allowed structure (though without explicit preference) :

Thread15031 - add-on-scenery-structure

Of course, structure 2 is far superior since you can gather all components of an addon within a same folder.

Structure 1 forces mixing addon files in common subfolders, quickly leading to a growing mess, this must be avoided!

Unfortunately, the user-defined folder still doesn't recognize structure 2, which doesn't make much sense in my opinion. IPACS acknowledged this years ago but never implemented it.

Cheers

Antoine

I have finished my personal project and would love for you guys to enjoy!

Wow ! it looks so gorgeous, congratulations! and thank you for sharing.

I'm in a hurry these days and won't have the chance to download and test for now, but looking forward to it in an hopefully near future.

I take the opportunity to wish everybody here all the best for 2020.

Cheers

Antoine

I'll check your DAE asap.

Regarding vertex weighing, it is linked to vertex color in 3DSMax exporter tool, no idea if it works from Sketchup via MCX. Same question of course for Blender.

I'd assume somebody already tried it and we'd know it if it was working... I reckon the TGI export format of MCX is of "Object" type only, not "Scenery"...

To be tested anyway.

Cheers

Antoine

Nethertheless it would be great to have a free design program besides 3DSMax and AC3D.
    But sketchup uses a proprietary file format, not so easy.

Blender could be the choice, but as long as we don't have a converter to aerofly, it is not an alternative.

Sktechup lacks the vertex weighing option (red = visible, black = not visible, and blend in-between) that is unfortunately requested for AFS2 airport design.

Otherwise, it exports collada that you can easily convert to AFS2 by the mean of MCX, this works very nicely for 3D objects.

I assume Blender has the vertex weighing capability , has anybody tried exporting in a format that could be read and converted into TGI by MCX ?

Cheers

Antoine

The number of users that possess the skills and the required programs to build an airport with taxiways and ramps can be counted on one hand. The single most limiting factor for user development. What in the world would AFS2 look like if we didn’t have fsCloudPort and AeroScenery?

I'd rather say the required programs, raw data and the time to do it. Getting all 3 together is a tough combination to manage.

You don't need much skills once you've figured out a method based on the way too laconic wiki tuto, but doing it the right way is way too time-consuming for regional scenery making.

For instance, there are some 20 aerodromes for the sole region of Paris, no way I can design them all in 3DSMax within 1 single product.

Especially, if you look at an airport like CDG, the textured mesh creation part itself is a heavy project with all these small surfaces to individually triangulate and texture :

Cheers

Antoine

Hi Jean-Pierre,

It is unfortunately not so easy.

There are various BGL files to make a scenery in FS. The one you try to extract is a library of objects, without placement. Thus you cannot just convert it into a scenery for AFS2, there's no information where objects are to by placed.

Placements are compiled in separate BGL files that just call the objects from the library like we place XREF objects in AFS2.

For instance, among many objects in the library, you have a blue taxi light, and the placement file places copies of this taxi light all along taxiways.

So, to make it short, it will be:

1. you'll need to extract each object from the library and convert it to AFS2 specific format, with _color, _light, lowercase texture naming and alpha layer workaround.

2. you'll need to extract placement files to find out where each object is to be placed in the scenery

The next issue you'll face is the GUID.

Objects of FS libraries are not identified by their name, but by their GUID, that looks like {9cbe248e-8965-4647-870a-9c48c8903f39}

In other words, the placement file tells you GUID {9cbe248e-8965-4647-870a-9c48c8903f39} is placed at some coordinates and then you have to search in which library you have an object with that GUID...

It is feasible, but it's not just opening the BGL in MCX et clicking export...

Last but not least, you're trying to convert a copyrighted product that's soon to be officially released for AFS2, a little bit of patience and it will finally come...

Cheers

Antoine

However some objects do not show up in scenery (e.g. samedan houses). (...)

What is the reason that some do not show up?

A potential reason is xref object name. Since we don't have a list of them for ch, we only have texture names for guessing what could be the corresponding object name. If the texture isn't named the same as the object, it won't work.

Cheers

Antoine

Thanks Antoine. Very interesting. I hope we get to see it one day. The design of the cracked concrete is quite realistic and the buildings appear to be exact replicas like the 2020 image.

Does the sloped runway have the smooth undulation with the flat ramps at the high end?

Regards,

Ray

Yes, it does, like the original one, allowing very reaslistic landing and departure operations.

Cheers

Antoine

Courchevel looks great!

Is it based on a freeware or payware? And on wich one?

it’s the famous payware. It was merely a porting test of 3D slope. It works nicely except 3 aspects :

1) it crashes retractable U/C, there might be something with dual face polygons to be sorted out.

2) the original ground textures make a visible array (that’s new, it wasn’t the case earlier).

3) the original ground textures need color matching correction with background.

So, it should need some work to be done on it before asking the author if he would be interested in releasing it...

cheers

Antoine