Posts by Trespassers

@Trespassers- the elevation model already exists within FS2 but there may be an updated mash that one can use in the future. For now, all you need is the image(s) and the GeoConvert tool to make really nice looking scenery.

Indeed, but I don't know the accuracy of the existing mesh. It is pretty good yet in DLC, but I'd assume it's not worldwide so good.
    High accuracy 4.75m resolution mesh is available for western Europe. Paradoxally, this resolution doesn't bring much in mountainous terrain, but is a real plus in rather flat areas where the featured details like road banks in hills or coastal shorelines make it wonderful.

Thus depending on the area it might be great to compile a layer too, which is of course another tool...

Cheers
    Antoine

john,
    Sorry, but the FSET .inf is simply about lon-lat corners and pixel scaling. What would be great is to develop a connection to OpenStreet mapping for buildings and possibly a tool that finds where trees( or buildings?) should be placed by pattern recognition of the aerial image.

You're mixing up topics. This first tool is only about making the photo ground carpet. For this, all you need technically is aerial orthophotos and a set of coordinates.
    Orthophotos are very expensive, they are taken from aircraft (usually Beech King Airs) for cartography duties by local countries' geographic institutes. So does Google also for Google Earth.

FSET is a tool developped some 10 years ago for FS9 and FSX, allowing to automatically (and illegally) grab orthophotos from web services and compile them by feeding FSX's resample tool with the area picture and the set of corresponding coordinates.
    The idea here is users may feed AeroflyFS 2's upcoming converter with the area picture and set of coordinates from FSET.

Another tool is expected later to compile an elevation mesh, which is the layer below the aerial picture.

Autogen is a next layer above aerial picture and we really hope some tools come soon also to generate houses and vegetation coverage from databases.
    OSM is a quite good and very convenient free database in many countries for buildings layer generation.
    CORINE is the most used vegetation free database, pretty nice.

Add-on scenery providers do purchase aerial photo licenses, cadastral databases, vegetation databases, elevation databases and rework the whole to create sceneries.

This converter tool is an important first step, we hope the rest will follow soon, but they definitely need to remain separated tools for separated layers.

Cheers
    Antoine

Well, the reference has been HiFi's Active Sky for years, and they're definitely way ahead.
    Rex is more interesting for replacing FSX's poor default textures than as weather engine...

Anyway, once therés the possibility to feed detailed weather conditions into AFS2, all these engines will have their chance to work...

Cheers
    Antoine

Exactly, these are different tools.

The GeoConvert tool will enable add-on editors who purchased aerial pictures to make a photo ground carpet.
    The upcoming elevation compilation tool will allow them to provide top-level mesh.

When tools become available to compile object, buildings and vegetation coverage from databases, editors will be able to propose consistent and very enjoyable flight regions.
    And we'll also be able to add the 3D coverage that is currently lacking to the existing DLCs.

Cheers
    Antoine

Thank you in advance IPACS for this great new converter tool and access to the libraries, looking forward to testing it all.

How are priorities handled with existing sceneries ? Just by resolution ? Or the order in the folder ? I think for instance to the Geneva and Leman area where the Swiss DLC is wasted by the lack of French ground textures.

To give a general reply to other question, FSET has been a reference for some 10 years now in FS world to build ground scenery textures by downloading orthophotos from web services like Google Earth, Bing, Virtual Earth, etc.
    The tool is easy to use and provides nice features like watermask and seasonal textures generation, but the biggest amount of work is to manually rework the orthophotos to get a consistent and homogeneous result. The rest is pretty much automated.

Last but not least, downloading orthophotos from these web services is in clear violation of copyrights. As long as you keep it for you at home and don't advertize too much on it nobody will bother you, but you should forget about sharing stolen material, or even worse making money with it.
    Add-on editors who publish sceneries purchase expensive orthophoto licences.

Cheers
    Antoine

We usually obtain these informations ourself or try to find people that know the airfield in and out. For Speck we pretty much added any special trees or waypoints, local pilots asked us to add. Feedback from pilots flying in Speck has so far been overwhelming.

Thank you for this nice airfield. Why don't you ask for other airports? There are a few RL pilots around the place who would be glad to bring that kind of info.
    Talking generally, and this is true not only in AFS2 but for most sims, airport modelling usually don't even feature the landmarks that serve for flying the pattern. Regarding the swiss DLC, each airfield in Switzerland has his own VAC charts (even for some AD an AREA chart) with specific published patterns and the landmarks that will assist you while navigating around the place.
    Beyond the "official" landmarks there are unofficial landmarks like those I learned as I was learning and my instructor showed me : the church there on the hill in Saanen you can use as aiming point before last turn in final, the other church above Sion that is exactly at downwind rwy 25 pattern altitude, the bush in La Cote that serves as natural PAPI for RWY22, the blue container in Yverdon that shows the beginning of RWY05 downwind, or the small bridge to start turning base 05, the cutout in the Jura woods (on French ground, thus very low quality in AFS2) that leads to the compulsory NW reporting point to land in Geneva, the CERN building featuring GW reporting point, the Fernay customs office you follow for landing on RWY 23 grass or concrete, or the wooden sphere that marks the end of downwind RWY05, the red and white beacon you can aim to when landing RWY 05 grass, etc. I think there are such convenient landmarks around every airport and most of them are totally neglected when modelling airports.
    In Lausanne, the landmarks used as reference to fly both RWYs downwind is the Renens railway marshalling yard, that is unfortunately covered with trees in AFS2, and the surrounding buildings serving as landmark to turn base rwy 36 are not featured...

Cheers
    Antoine

Thank you Jeff,

Yes, but there are obviously only 2 PAPI's (left or right) with no glide angle and aiming position setting.

3 degrees glide slope is a standard approach for airliners, but many if not most GA runways in Switzerland feature bigger approach angles when fitted with such an aid.
    Let's keep my former example (other threads) in Lausanne, try flying a 3 degrees approach and you'd end up in the power lines...

Cheers
    Antoine

Dear IPACS team,

I think all PAPI landing lights I've found in Aerofly FS2 are 4-lights PAPI's models with 3° standard glide slope.
    In real life there are various models : PAPI, APAPI, VASI, etc. and the glide slope depends on the terrain configuration, 4 - 4.5° glide slopes are common for instance in Switzerland.

It would be great if PAPI type (2 or 4 lights) and glide slope could be adjustable in the TSC file. Currently we can just place it left or right of runway.

Thanks in advance
    Cheers
    Antoine

Thank you Jeff for your statements. Together with Jan's explanations about upcoming aircraft system we have a better view of what to expect next and the feeling that at least some people at IPACS share some of our points of view...

Keep up the good work
    Cheers
    Antoine

Very cool Kazam, really nice to see those comparisons. You make a good point about water, with depth and translucency, I don't think it's ever been done properly in a sim, there is definitely an opportunity there for iPacs to step in and show the world how it's done.

This is done pretty well in FSX/P3D with phototextures, thanks to the blend feature. However this requests to choose a water color that more or less matches the aerial photos...

Cheers
    Antoine

John, you think wisely. I would however add the aim of an early release is to get users involved, with feedback, but also with funding. Aerofly doesn't need to be finished soon, it may remain an early release for years provided it keeps evolving and the community keeps growing and getting reasonably satisfied. But if IPACS remain silent and distant I'm afraid this will fail...

Delfin, you're comming to my point : IPACS shouldn't want to do everything on their own but make the platform as open and flexible as possible for users and add-on makers to get involved with easy access step. Then users will be enabled to make it the sim they want, or at least work in that direction.

The all-in-one-project architecture of the current SDK philosophy makes me really wonder how add-ons are supposed to successfully interact. There are no obvious layers, exclude possibilities, priority settings, etc. (for instance, how can I change the ground markings of an existing but inaccurate airport without redoing the whole airport?) and the heavy&expensive CAD tools needed for any single modelling makes it out of reach of most users.

Ok, a new SDK is due to come with tools to build a ground photoscenery (but still no talks about building + vegetation autogen!) let's wait and see.

Cheers
    Antoine

Jan, it does concern me that in your roadmap and the one you linked to that multiplayer isn't even hinted at.

CavendishD, I understand Jan is working for IPACS, mainly on aircraft.
    Iinformation he provides regard what he's working on, or maybe what aircraft modelling teammated have for plans.
    It's not a general IPACS roadmap.

Cheers
    Antoine

Dear IPACS team, (and dear Aerofly FS 2 users)

Thank you for these good news.
    You sure know many things better than us based on actual facts like sales volumes, information we don't have.

We're apparently only a handful of enthusiastic and eagerly forward-looking users on this forum, and as J van E states we sometimes feel like the last of Mohicans on many other forums, still seeing in Aerofly FS2 more potential than merely a “quick fix”, as the most positive users tend to think (even Orbx’s JV wrote it), or an empty shell failure as most simmers currently see AFS 2.

Looking at the add-on developer’s market from my simmer point of view, I’ve been overwhelmed for months (even years, by now) by special discount offers (Black Friday , Xmas sales, New Year sales, Valentine’s day sales, Easter Sales, special days off, special sales, Mother’s day sales, etc.) and my understanding is they’re all more or less struggling to sell add-ons.
    Not that the quality doesn’t reach the expected level, but the market is simply low and saturated due to lack of technical possibilities.

For a third party editor the perspectives are pretty much unclear. They’re currently facing an avalanche of “new” sim platforms beyond the current ones and there won’t be room for them all to be successful, sharing more or less equally market shares or bringing new sales/markets. In order to survive, add-on editors will have to make some strategical choices between these platforms:
    - FSX
    - FSX SE
    - Flight Sim World (FSW)
    - P3D v3
    - P3D v4
    - XPlane 11
    - Aerofly FS 2
    - Condor
    - DCS
    - IL-2
    - …

The 5 first sims are the very same FSX base, with coding/compilation variants that force editors to adapt their products to ensure compatibility without much reward : simmers won’t repay the add-on full price they purchased for P3Dv3 in order to have them running for P3Dv4. Most add-ons may probably be imported without much change.
    Looking at FSW, I could manually declare my FSX/P3D sceneries and they work without trouble. It isn’t as easy for aircraft, here the backward compatibility link is more or less broken, but should not be too difficult to establish provided a SDK gets available.
    The problem with FSW will rather be the Dovetail+Steam financial model that might be a no-go for most editors.

X-Plane has unfortunately low market perspectives due to several reasons, especially cultural.

Soon will come your porting of Orbx’s LOWI into Aerofly FS 2. The most interesting IMO is simmers will then have a one-to-one comparison point with FSX, FSX SE, P3D v3 or P3Dv4 when it becomes available. This will sure demonstrate AFS graphical engine potential and its overwhelming superiority to FSX base.

But what makes a sim successful is not just the engine’s power. All the successful simulators live only by the community they gather (users, freeware add-on makers, payware editors, peripheral controller manufacturers, etc.) and the least we can say is the Aerofly FS2 community still doesn’t really builds up. From my (partial) point of view we’re always the same bunch of users posting on this forum, and I feel very lonely when trying to talk positively about AFS2 on other forums – looks like I’m not the only one here feeling so.

There are many, many simmer profiles and in order to build a community a sim must adapt to simmers wishes and propose consistent content.
    Most users, on the opposite, merely see what’s currently lacking to Aerofly FS 2 and by far it’s not ready to replace yet any sim on the market. Rome wasn’t built in one day and that’s pretty much normal.

I agree with comments (J van E, HiFlyer, etc.) who feel a bit frustrated by the lack of communication from IPACS; it was already the case with AFS1, when Ikarus kept telling us they were planning big things but preferred not to communicate before it was ready, be patient… Some users managed to tweak some add-ons, without much official support, questions and posts started to get more and more seldom, then the last users vanished in the forgotten nice try’s darkness, together with Flight Unlimited, MS Flight, Dovetail Flight School, etc.

I agree it won’t be possible to address all simmers wishes, but reading the few answers we get here and looking at the development progress my feeling is you have a sometimes very dogmatic approach (we don’t do anything until we have found the perfect solution to do it) and want to keep all add-on development under close control. In other words you decide what’s good for Aerofly FS2, who may provide what kind of add-on, and users have to adapt. The big strength of successful sims is users make it the sim they want (within performance limitations, of course).

Seen from my desk the development direction isn’t much clear either: you spend a lot of efforts to develop airliners (Q400, A320 systems, etc.) but (from what I read) intend to keep simple FMS programming level (i.e. not intended to hardcore airline simmers), while essential basic systems of GA aircraft are still missing – mixture is not even featured (atmospheric engines develop the same power at MSL as at FL100), engine start / shut down have no sequence, magnetos, carburetor heating, etc. are not featured.
    DLC’s propose a superb HD photoscenery quality where available, with a pretty good elevation mesh, but roughly spread trees and no buildings, except some tiny hand-made places. Here also the answer is rather dogmatic: 3D solutions seen in other sims are not totally perfect, thus you prefer doing nothing and spreading randomly trees than doing something that wouldn’t be perfect.

In my opinion, for an users community to build up AFS 2 needs a more consistent content in aircraft systems and sceneries seen as consistent flyable regions, no just airports and very local tiny patches with a lot of details in the middle of nice but features-less photoground scenery.
    This all takes time, and IPACS shouldn’t try doing everything from scratch on their own.

I don’t see much potential for AFS 2 among hardcore airline simmers community, they have sometimes invested many thousands of euros building their home cockpits with a lot of high end components, add-ons, programming. Seen from FL390 a generic scenery like default FSX/P3D or with Orbx generic products is far enough, they don’t need 200 FPS (in an airliner, with 25-30 FPS you’re pretty much happy, don’t need more). What they need is in-depth true-to-life systems and a consistent scenery quality all over the World from San Francisco to Hong Kong, from Sydney to London, from Helsinki to Rio de Janeiro, and this won’t be possible with photoscenery on home computers. Even Google Earth do no provide consistent photo quality over such range.
    Current sims based on FSX are excellent for this purpose and their main limitation is the 32bits architecture. This should be going to be history when P3D v4 comes out, scheduled pretty soon.

As already said somewhere, Aerofly FS2 has however a really strong technical potential for general aviation simulation, where all other sim’s graphical engines currently struggle displaying high quality sceneries with millions of objects.

I’m pretty confident the upcoming LOWI AD will show AFS 2 graphical engine’s technical potential. But GA users will need to have at least the same depth of simulation as what they’re used to before to think of investing their money into a new sim.

IMHO IPACS should concentrate on GA aircraft systems and SDK, to provide users the simulation level they expect from aircraft and an easy entry level for add-on designing.
    Editors have gathered and processed plenty of material to produce consistent high quality flight regions. I’m quite convinced they would be overjoyed to be able to compile them for Aerofly FS2, this could bring them the fresh air they’re desperately seeking for, while consistent content and nice aircraft systems will bring new users => win-win-win situation.

I’m looking forward to seeing the new SDK release.

Please don’t take me the wrong way. If you read until here (my apologizes for being so long, it had to get out of the chest), I really don’t want to sound negative. I see a real strong potential of Aerofly FS2 but I’m afraid it could get wasted and there are too few clues that you’re actually taking users and editors feedback into consideration. I’ve been talking to some add-on editors around the place and they feel pretty much the same.

Keep up the good work and long life to Aerofly FS2, please don’t let it fail!

Cheers
    Antoine

I'm dreaming of a method where you are in the virtual cockpit, press a button to enable the controls editing function, then click the switch with the mouse (highlight that clickspot while its active), then move the control device switch that you would like to have assigned for that function. E.g. load the Cessna, hit edit command short cut, click the fuel pump switch, flip your device switch - assignment done. That would be very very nice I think.

Regards,
    Jan

Hi Jan,

This sounds good but beware it doesn't bring too many drawbacks. Imagine if you had then to repeat individually all controls, switches, etc. settings for each individual aircraft, or even within aircraft variants if they feature different equipment... what a pain.

Or if the setting for 1 aircraft is universal, how would you handle overdefined/conflicting assignments?

Let's make it with an example:
    You assign your taxi light control (for instance Saitek switch) to the taxi light switch in the C172. Say it works then also for the Baron, but not for the Robin, since taxi light is called "landing light right" in that aircraft.
    You assign then your taxi light control to the "landing light right" switch in your Robin, and your taxi light control has now 2 assignments in AFS2:
    - taxi light
    - landing light right
    How dou you handle this dual definition and how to you keep an overview of the definition table?

Now comes an aircraft with landing lights in both left and right wings. Then you assign your landing light control to the left and right landing lights... what a mess if settings are not aircraft variant-specific. And what a pain in the a... if they are.

But yes there's room for improvement, and at least a dozen of assignable events would provide a nice workaround in the meantime, while designing the future solution.

Cheers
    Antoine

Dear IPACS team,

Currently the Saitek Pro Flight Panels are recognized by Aerofly FS2, but most switches cannot be assigned to commands due to the lack of corresponding parameter in the settings.

While aircraft basic systems are still not yet implemented, one workaround would be to make a page of programmable events in the settings menu, to which keys or switches can be assgined similar to other functions like the lights or communication settings.

In other words, just like we have a page with lights setting, featuring Panel, Navigation light, Beacon, Strobe, Landing Light, Taxi, etc. to which keys or switches can be assigned, we could have an extra page with Event 1, Event 2, Event 3,... Event 10 and a syntax to assign them as Inputs in our TMD files.

For instance the Fuel Pump switch of the Saitek panel could be assigned to Event 1, and then Event 1 could be set as Input for the Fuel Pump Switch in our aircraft TMD file.
    Or is there another way to achieve that result ?

I did some trial and error testing, I could for instance misuse existing commands like for instance the Beacon to switch on/off the fuel pump of my aircraft with my fuel pump switch, bu I couldn't create new commands.
    The Wiki doesn't help either...

Thank you n advance for some feedback
    Cheers

Antoine

Compared to Aerofly FS1, the turbulence model in AFS2 is quite poor, merely a random and uniform shaking field of the aircraft.
    The AeroflyFS1 wind was actually interacting with the mesh, causing updrafts and downdrafts in moutain flying. The model was perfectible, with very local and laminar influence on the flow (that could even be displayed as a field of vectors). For instance, a strong wind facing a ridge didn't cause any kind of rotor behind.
    But at least there was something.

When a weather system comes available, enabling linking to real weather engines like Active Sky, turbulence may be modelled by automatically placing local turbulence effects, just like in FSX/P3D...
    The realism of the result depends then mostly on the external real weather engine quality.

Cheers
    Antoine