Posts by Trespassers

Overloaded, do you purchase a SSD for it to be cool ? Believe me, I run AeroflyFS both versions on HDD and load times have nothing to do with FSX/P3D or even XPlane.
    I wouldn't go for any external storage device. Internal only...

Cheers
    Antoine

Almost exact, FSX/P3D makes both techniques possible : orthophotos or landclass.
    I definitely turned away from ugly and unrealistic landclass as photorealistic technology became available early 2000.

The flaws of FSX/P3D are bound to its long heritage. Some people keep compiling today sceneries with tools from the FS2k2 SDK and complain when suddenly it isn't anymore compatible with P3D.
    Even if a 64bit version becomes available the sim mostly relies on pure CPU performance and not so much on GPU.

AeroflyFS comes with a new, fresh and promising graphical engine. Way too many things are lacking for simmers to quit their current FSX/P3D/Xplane, but Rom wasn't built in 1 day.

Cheers
    Antoine

Is FS2 loaded in a compressed manner so that disk compression is pointless? Will the FS2 update process perform well enough in a compressed disk for the upgrade to install perfectly?

I think I will get a bigger 1TB SSD but they fall in price by about 70% per year and you might not issue such an enormous download for a while. Based on the information available in May 2016 a 250 GB SSD seemed more than adequate.

Well, new simulator platform with photorealisric ground scenery and a wannabe SDK for third parties to develop sceneries and aircraft should ring a bell to everybody that it will much grow up when successful.

I installed my AeroflyFS 2 on a 2TB HHD, and regarding load times we're talking about 19s on NYC.
    I dedicated a 1TB SSD to P3D and we're talking about minutes for load times...

Just my 2 cents...

Cheers
    Antoine

That's why autogen was created, with vegetations and buildings optimized to be extremely light weight for the graphical engine.

Routines were developped to place and shape autogen buildings based on databases like OSM for instance, or purchased cadastral databases. The same for vegetation databases. This allows very accurate placement with lots of variation in buildings and vegetation accurate to the real place.
    Where autogen buildings are too limited (city centers), procedural 3D allows to create the real building shapes based on cadastral databases. Landmark buildings are then manually modelled, still keeping frame rate in mind.

This way you can compile sceneries with millions of houses and trees, powerline masts, public lights, landmarks, water towers, etc. that bring the real life volume that's still desperately lacking to AeroflyFS with a very reasonable cost on graphical engine. FSX is very limited by its 32 bit architecture, but AeroflyFS 2 would sure become brilliant if only...

Well scenery making is not just placing a photo carpet on a mesh... a few city centers, a few aerodromes and radomly spread ugly trees overall.

Cheers
    Antoine

Yes, we are aware of this and working on a solution.

I don't want to be selfish, but that's pretty good news indeed. I don't want either to speak for others, but I can live for a while with this bug and wait patiently for a fix. I don't mind redownloading when the issue is identified and fixed by IPACS.

If we don't accept this we shouldn't load previews. What would have disturbed me is when the root cause remains unidentified, independant from IPACS and the problems max occur randomly each time an update gets downloaded...

Keep up the good work
    cheers
    Antoine

No files are broken, it just seems the Steam client is getting confused for some reason. For now the safest thing to do is completely uninstall and then reinstall Aerofly FS 2. It doesn't look like a bug on our side.

Should we reformat the whole PC and burn a new bios also ? (;-)
    More seriously, are you telling us that potentially each time there's a release we might have to totally deinstall and reinstall AeroflyFS because Steam gets confused with updates and there's nothing you can do ?
    The only interest for us users of the steam platform was easy and semi-automated update, so if this is the issue please find another way for us to update, I would be overjoyed to get rid of that steam thing...

Even with fast internet acces (fibre) the download speed from Steam is very limited, we're talking about hours...

Cheers
    Antoine

This Tile reappears if I set terrain photo resolution down to MEDIUM (for testing, not for workaround), but then some other tiles get missing, for instance in the mesa to the right after take-off in Monument Valley.

Thus, I'd say tiles of several resolutions are missing in the build...

Thank you IPACS anyway for this nice DLC, I'm amazed by the visual quality of the mesas...

Cheers
    Antoine

Hi,
    could you maybe open a new thread for this?
    I don't think this has much to do with the DR400 anymore and I'd like to discuss the Joystick issues over there.
    Can please someone finally summarize to me which exact switches are only working in some aircraft but not in others?
    I have no Saitek panels here on my own, I can only look at the code and guess I everything is working ok.
    - Jan

Hi Jan, we'll do it, thanks.

Cheers
    Antoine

Hi Rodeo,

Yes, that's the workaround to move eyesight out of the pilot's head, but the it's still visible when turning the head with the TrackIR.

Moreover, the pilot sits a little bit close from the panel to my taste...

Cheers
    Antoine

After writing in the Avsim review of Aerofly FS 2 I opened a support request to let IKARUS know that there are more things not working with the Saitek panels than ones that do work. It is a stretch to state that Aerofly FS 2 supports Saitek panels when it is only hit or miss for most of the functions. I am really disappointed there is zero support for the Saitek BIP panel.
    (...)
    SPAD.neXt considered supporting AerofFly FS 2 but told me there were not enough users to support his investment at that time. Hopefully, he will revisit that decision as the number of users grow.

Regards,

Ray

Hi Ray,

Did you get any kind of answer from IPACS/IKARUS regarding this issue ?

The SPAD.neXt author tries noe to make a living out of it, thus if anyone wants him to get involved in anything, they must come with $$$. We're only a handful of users...

I had a look yesterday night at the DR400 panel switches. Actually the old panel simply featured a kind of circuit breaker you engage or release to switch on/off (electrical circuit has ever been one of th weaknesses of Robin aircraft design).

Looking at the file and comparing to the C172, I couldn't however figure out how to assign landing light command to the left landing light, and taxilight to the right landing light.
    The same issue with the strobe currently assigned to the beacon, but I only had a few minutes for quick tests...

It isn't as obvious as in FSX/P3D.

Cheers
    Antoine

Yes, that's it, and the Robin also has both a Taxi Light and a Landing Light.

Currently not many switches can be operated from the Saitek panel in AeroflyFS 2, although they're all properly recognized and configured in the AeroflyFS settings. Magnetos and most switches are totally disconnected, but the gear lever is operational.
    On my flight commands, the mixture lever isn't operational, but mixture is still not rendered in AeroflyFS.
    The radio panel is working quite ok provided that you disable auto NAV tuning.
    The Autopilot panel is not working so nicely because it doesn't match the autopilot featured in AeroflyFS. But the trim wheel and flaps lever are working ok.

I'm still innthe early phase of discovering how things work inside this sim, but I'm pretty confident we'll be able to add code and make moat switches operational.

Cheers
    Antoine

This one is a very old DR400-140b, featuring a 160ch Lyco. and based on a glider towing aircraft used in Joachim's club in Germany. Registration HB-JOA is a fancy one, reflecting the author's name.

Engine and propeller behaviour is quite unrealistic unfortunately, it was already very perfectible in AeroflyFS 1.

The old panel has some pushbuttons. Move your mouse over to identify which one sets the lights. I use a Saitek set of panels, thus I don't click much with the mouse...

Cheers
    Antoine

Dear IPACS team,

Would it be possible in a next release of the SDK to add a Pilot sample, and a conversion tool in case the current converter is not suited ?

In case you don't want to spread your 3D models, would it be possible to have a paint kit similar to what you provided for the learjet?

I think some users would enjoy tuning the pilot with their own face...

Thanks in advance.
    Cheers
    Antoine