Posts by Trespassers

It would huge, yes ! But there is a much bigger issue : extending AFS world even with only a few sceneries would quickly necessitate the ability to choose choose which scenery to activate or deactivate.

Did you notice for instance that since the NYC DLC load time raised to 18s (on my config, compared to 9s previously). OK, it's very reasonable, but whenever AFS2 rises to a grown-up sim load times will quickly rise to several minutes and the system will collapse due to unnecessary data being loaded.

Unfortunately there is no such feature yet in AFS2 and the architecture doesn't seem thought for it : there's no separation between mesh and photo texture. Worse, the 3D objects seem to be merged and compiled within the mesh, leaving no chance for third party editors to develop compatible add-on sceneries.

Imagine for instance somebody creates a nice, detailed scenery for the JFK airport, with a dedicated mesh and high resolution photo texture. I don't see how to integrate it to the existing NYC DLC, you have to choose : either the NYC DLC, or the local scenery.

I feel somewhat concerned. I'm afraid I don't see where you expect Orbx to come in unless IPACS start listening to editors needs and rethink their architecture for an open platform.
    Otherwise I fear it'll remain a nice one shot like AeroflyFS v1...

Cheers
    Antoine

The 2nd page of the thread has english hints for avoiding your mods to be overwritten when AFS2 gets updated, I'd advise to follow Jan's (Jet Pack) recommendations.

For the modification itself, it is a very simple parameter change in the tmd file of the aircraft, Jet Pack provides the exact code change for the ASW glider, it's the same for other aircraft. I did it for the Corsair and for the Cessna (Wow, I now have breasts when looking down...)

Cheers
    Antoine

The aerial photos used for the Switzerland DLC are obviously the old Endoxon ones dating of the 1990's. The same ones Flylogic used for their FS sceneries.
    BTW you can juge the excellent colour corrections and rendering work done by AeroflyFS when you see the saturated poor quality of the original picture and what Flylogic achieved in comparison : AeroflyFS looks way better, though not perfect either.

This effect you mention on some forests was already seen in old, early 2000's Endoxon products and I assume IPACS simply used that mesh for their AFS sceneries, without adding such treatment.
    The Endoxon mesh is not bad for most places. It has quite a lot of what I suspect to be hand corrections in order to feature some local details that usually aren't as visible with the finest meshes.
    Some places have unfortunately been damaged, like LSGL Lausanne, where the terrain has been largely flattened out, resulting in a flat, inaccurrate runway in AFS...

Cheers
    Antoine

As far as pilot eyepoint movement, you can assign keyboard/buttons to move forward/aft, left/right, up and down. Settings->Controls->View->Move (at the bottom of the scrollable list). Personally, I use the Point of View HAT on my Thrustmaster Hotas 4 Joystick/Throttle system because I feel that each aircraft needs a different setting. I want to be as close to the instrument panel as possible so I can read the instruments (old steam gauges are easier than electronic displays) but I still want to see well. I also like to sit back in my physical chair sometimes and then I need to move the eyepoint.

The Track IR already does it. But what I would need is the possibility to move the recentering position.
    The existing keys are inoperative when you use a Track IR and I expect it not to work either in VR.

The only workaround I found so far is to offset my head in the opposite direction, pressed my Track IR recenter key, then recentering my head... but this must be done each time I need to recentering the Track IR...

The next workaround would be to fiddle with values in the config files, but it would then be hard coded...

Cheers
    Antoine

Dear IPACS team,

A tweak was provided in a former thread to display the pilot in virtual cockpit view.

It's a great plus IMO.
    I'm using a Track IR and it really adds to immersion.
    Aeroflyers using VR seem to appreciate it also.

Unfortunately the point of view is inside the 3D pilot's head, which is correct but spoils somewhat the vision with teeth, parts of helmets, etc. in the FOV.

The settings allows to define keys for view point X/Y/Z offsets, but they are inactive when using a Track IR.

Could it be possible to have the 3D pilot without head for that display ? I think it would improve the experience for both Track IR and VR users.

Additionally, it would be great if one could move the default centered point of view with keys, in order to adjust it to our taste.

Thank you in advance and best regards.
    Keep up the good work

Antoine

On my side I assigned the T and Shift+T keys, but same usage. Very useful also when you load another place, no need to compute the local time : once the scenery loaded I just adjust time for the desired lightning.

The direct lightning and shadows cast by buildings are beautiful in Manhattan, although it seems quite heavy for the graphical engine.
    In neighbouring districts this effect rather draws the attention on missing buildings (much less visible by mid day lightning).

A video showing the beautiful effect, and my flight through the shadow cast by the Empire State Building.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Unfortunately this direct lightning and shadow casting doesn't apply to ground texture and mesh making mountain flight look somewhat odd when not mid of day or early afternoon.
    I'm afraid however that having the mesh to cast shadows might be expensive for fluidity...

Cheers
    Antoine

Hello Antoine,

thank you for sharing the screenshots with us. For those of us that are not good at depicing the flight simulator in use just from a screenshot, do you mind editing your post to include the source of the screenshots? (P3D with scenery add-on xy). People that just briefly visit this thread will probably mistake one simulator for the other. Thanks.

And please also mention that this is not default P3D, is it?

Ok, done, understood.

If you look at screenshot S06a and S06b you can see the mentioned mismatch in tree coloring. The trees are so dark that my eyes can only focus on them. Their placement is pretty good though, I don't like the placement of the Aerofly FS 2 trees either.

The opposite is actually the case : it's the ground picture that is too bright in this case, the color of the trees is much more correct.
    There are 2 facts to consider:

1) the difficulty of photorealistic scenery is that you have to do with available aerial pictures, the quality of which varies a lot depending on the place. But in the end of the day, you have to assemble a patchwork of photos and find a colorimetric compromise that fits for the whole region.
    IPACS was able to achieve a very good ground texture on covered places, but it won't be possible everywhere I'm afraid. Screen S05a shows a burned texture and that's it with aerial photos, until a new release of aerial pictures gets available.

2) the add-on scenery was designed for FSX, and P3D definitely gives different colours and the match between autogen and ground texture is less good, but it's actually the ground texture that doesn't display anymore in P3D exactly the way it does in FSX. For technical reasons I had to switch to P3D and this difference is acceptable to me. The biggest drawback IMO is rather the hard coded LOD-RADIUS in P3D that causes the ground to blur at mid range, but that's another topic.

Regarding point 1) we all cook with water. Regarding point 2) I expect the so far excellent ground texture quality in AeroflyFS 2 to allow an optimal color match, while the brilliant graphical engine allows more distant sharp display.

S09 to me does not look as repetative to me. Sure if I wanted to I can find repeating textures but I don't think it pops into the eye as quickly. The colors of the textures blend in nicely with the colors of the missing buildings on the ground textures and there is no larger spot on the screen with the exact same colors or textures. Its randomized with enough variation, compared to S05b where there a large orange spot on the middle right of the screen, due to the same roof texture. On the screenshot S05a (plain, no auto-gen) you can also see some tiny trees on the ground texture near the wing tip and a lot of variation in tree density on the middle left in that small forest. With autogen on (S05b) all that detail information is replaced by a very boring looking patches of trees (all same color and height).

In S09 the colors blend in nicely at noon time because the ground picture is actually quite repetitive, bright white/light grey flat roofs. On the other hand, if you set morning or late afternoon local time the few sprayed buildings will pop out due to their direct lighted walls, drawing the attention to the missing buildings...

In S05b you actually have dozen of different roof and wall textures. If necessary you could improve the patchwork effect by increasing textures variety and contrast range, it doesn't change anything to the technique. It's only a question of fine tuning.

Regarding the trees in S05a/b, it is a typical but accurate effect with photos and database. The ground photo is several years older than the fresh trees database, and this is a patch of planted trees. On the photo these were very young trees, while they're now grown up in the database. They're all approximately the same size because they're all the same kind and age and must be more or less the same size in reel life. That's pretty accurate actually.

If we want to implement auto-gen it has to be better than that. We need trees in variying sizes and types (a lot more than on these screenshots), their placing should be at least as good as shown on these images. And they need to blend in a lot better. Detail information should be preserved and the result should look photo realistic, not cartoonish. And to me photorealism is only achieved when the entire screen looks good. Otherwise I drop out of the immersion right away.

I find very positive to have high expectations and aim at high immersion quality, that's what I'm (and many others are for sure) searching for.
    But you need to start with something.

Manual placement is a dead end when it comes to representing a flight region.
    It's ok for micro sceneries à la Orbx, it's very nice, but it definitely doesn't make a flight region and you cannot cover a flight zone with such techniques.

Most add-on airports available for FSX/P3D/XPlane don't even feature the necessary ground details for flying the published traffic pattern because they concentrate on a tiny range. It's lovely to make a few snapshots at ground, but doesn't bring much when it comes to flying if they're not integrated in a convincing, flyable region with homogeneous quality.
    We used to do manual autogen placement back in the times of FS9 when there was no choice, but it's monk work for a result definitely worse than what we achieve today extracting databases. We could hardly display 10% of what is currently achieved in FSX, and God knows how limited we are by the old graphical engine...

Look at NYC you would spend years manually placing buildings and trees over the whole area, without any payback chance and a significant risk of overloading the graphical engine, without necessarily better result than procedural 3D. You would just waste your energy.

Yes we all want more detail and the 3D is very appealing to our eyes. Auto-gen can create that sense of highly detailed scenery around the globe at a low cost compared to modelling the whole world. All I am asking is that we should not stop in the uncanny valley but give the extra 15% to 20% of effort to get it looking photorealistic,

I fully agree, but the first step is to have the tools enabling to generate mesh, ground photo and autogen/procedural 3D in AeroflyFS and figure out how the graphical engine can cope with objects density, what are the winning combinations to achieve the best visual quality without loosing game smoothness / fluidity.
    Textures variety is a matter of fine tuning afterwards, even if it's definitely not limited to 15-20% of the job.
    As usual, 80% of the job is done with 20% of effort. The remaining 20% need 80% of effort.

Third party editors are willing to step in, because it is obvious AeroflyFS has a strong potential, but the current SDK doesn't allow to generate even a patch of ground and it's not yet obvious it will in the future.

Cheers
    Antoine

The good thing with XPLANE is is the night. Out of FSX/P3D/AFS2/XPLANE, the latter is the only one featuring a night setting, with realistic darkness and light effects. High traffic roads are superb at night.

Unfortunately, daytime scenery is still a poor old fashioned ugly landclass and there is no proper SDK to develop accurate photorealistic sceneries with 3D coverage, XPlane autogen is poor and sluggish...
    Pretty much disappointed not to detect any kind of improvement in XPLANE 11 in this direction...

A+
    Antoine

Hi José,
    Thanks for your wishes. The flight behaviour in AFS2 seems not far away from what it was in AFS1.
    I've been flying different Robin models, either 160 or 180 ho. They each behave a little bit different, but the real inaccurate modeling in AFS 2 is the engine/prop behaviour. It was already the case in AFS 1 and reported, but since since AFS 1 was dropped by Ikarus just after release, it has unfortunately never been fixed...

Anyway, as long as the engine modelling doesn't take mixture, magneto, carb heating into account, engine driving in AFS 2 has nothing to do with real flying. Thus, if you manually set gentle throttle settings you can artificially set realistic power output for the current flight sequence and live with it.

But I couldn't overcome yet the ground steering issue...

Cheers
    Antoine

The screenshots 4, 5 and 6 show some of the issues with autogen that I was mentioning. The trees have all the same color and height, are not even close to dense enough and don't blend into the ground textue coloring at all.

Each of us obviously look at what we want to see. Screenshot #5 would however have shown a handful of tree sizes, varieties and colours (look at the distant tree tops).

The previous shots were taken on purpose at very low altitude so that distinct trees and house textures could be identified.
    Below are further shots taken from typical visual flight altitudes. You obviously have a lot of tree varieties, sizes and colours and they weld in as well as 3D object can weld in the scenery. The density is way higher than what you could reach with your manual placement.

Following pictures are taken from P3D v3.3 with modified shaders and Regional VFR add-on sceneries from France VFR (for FSX)

#S01 P3D v3.3 + PACA vol.2
    [Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93773613/Images/Autogen/Prepar3D%202017-01-01%2015-57-41-40.jpg]

#S02 P3D v3.3 + PACA vol.2
    [Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93773613/Images/Autogen/Prepar3D%202017-01-01%2016-02-51-63.jpg]

#S03 P3D v3.3 + PACA vol.2
    [Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93773613/Images/Autogen/Prepar3D%202017-01-01%2016-12-44-21.jpg]

#S04 P3D v3.3 + Alsace - note the electrical lines, also from databases…
    [Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93773613/Images/Autogen/Prepar3D%202017-01-01%2016-38-44-00.jpg]

Have you ever heard about the uncanny valley? To me FSX and X-Plane fall into that. They want to create automatically generated scenery that has a lot more generated 3D detail but is not quite looking authentic and that looks way worse to me than just having the flat ground but details ground texturing insted.

Well, comparing the scenery with or without autogen + 3D makes the difference obvious. I definitely prefer with than without.

#S05a P3D v3.3 Aquitaine without autogen + 3D
    [Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93773613/Images/Autogen/Prepar3D%202017-01-01%2016-29-49-54.jpg]
    #S05b P3D v3.3 Aquitaine with autogen + 3D
    [Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93773613/Images/Autogen/Prepar3D%202017-01-01%2016-30-26-41.jpg]

#S06a P3D v3.3 Aquitaine without autogen + 3D
    [Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93773613/Images/Autogen/Prepar3D%202017-01-01%2016-39-54-86.jpg]
    #S06b P3D v3.3 Aquitaine with autogen + 3D
    [Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93773613/Images/Autogen/Prepar3D%202017-01-01%2016-39-29-82.jpg]

Ok, you can argue these are still 3D objects and you can say they’re not real, but generating ground data for a flyable flight region definitely necessitates some automation, you cannot do it manually.
    In NYC DLC you just have a tiny part of the scenery with the heart of the city beautifully covered with buildings, but 95% of the scenery is just more or less randomly sprayed with trees on a flat photo carpet. It doesn’t nearly look realistic.

#S07 AeroflyFS2 EA.66 with NYC DLC
    [Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93773613/Images/Autogen/aerofly_fs_2%202017-01-01%2016-53-53-37.jpg]

#S08 AeroflyFS 2 EA .66 with Californian HD DLC, in L.A.
    [Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93773613/Images/Autogen/aerofly_fs_2%202017-01-01%2016-51-12-51.jpg]

Even in Manhattan there are almost no lights, no ground life, no street details, no ships in the rivers… just very nicely done 3D buildings and a bunch of trees here and there.
    You’ve flown across the “detailed” zone within 5 minutes in the Cessna…
    The main interesting point to me in that NYC DLC is that it demonstrates the graphical engine is able to cope with a high density of 3D buildings and that’s pretty good news.

San Francisco alos show that “repeated textures effect”, but I think it’s ok, even if only a tiny part of the city is treated.
    #S09 AeroflyFS 2 EA .66 with Californian HD DLC
    [Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93773613/Images/Autogen/aerofly_fs_2%202017-01-01%2016-45-59-83.jpg]

Ground rendering in a flight simulator is a matter of tough compromises. Photorealistic scenery covered with this autogen + procedural 3D is the result of highly optimized compromises in order to keep acceptable framerates in FSX/P3D, and reach a homogeneous quality rendering across a whole flight region
    AeroflyFS 2 has the potential to go far beyond than FSX/P3D thanks to its outstanding graphical engine.

If someone is willing to manually create micro sceneries with hand carved eye candy details, it’s very nice, but it doesn’t make a flight region. Tools are necessary for third parties editors to create the mesh + photo scenery where not yet available, and add autogen + 3D coverage from databases, and the micro scenery will integrate in it.

The Google Earth rendering systme necessitates 3D laser 45° scanning and photos to recreate the volume, only a few areas are available by now. It looks fantastic at some 4-5’000ft AGL, but terrible at low altitude. Bump mapping would just tear pixels, since aerial photography are taken and projected vertically.

Let me finish my lengthy proselytism by repeating my best wishes for all of you in 2017, and hope that AeroflyFS 2 grows to the next generation flight simulator we’re all expecting for…

Cheers
    Antoine

My biggest concern with auto-gen has always been that the houses all look the same, the trees are not really where I can see them on the ground textures, they have the wrong color and are of the same height. If auto-gen not done well it looks less authentic than just having just ground textures which is currently the case for default X-Plane and FSX terrain generation, if you ask me. And X-Plane have spend a lot of time on terrain generation and I still think it does not look authentic, I really hope they get there at some point in the future. Its nice to have all those cars, roads, buildings but right now it just does not look like the real world. The generated stuff just doesn't blend in well.

Dear Jan and dear IPACS team,

The state of the art in FSX/P3D autogen on photoreal sceneries really doesn't match your depiction IMO.

I would like to illustrate it with a few untouched screenshots:

FSX example of automated placement of pure autogen based on free available databases (no procedural 3D). Everything is always perfectible, but you can see the relative variety and accuracy of both buildings and trees. The scenery is definitely better with than without.
    [Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93773613/Comparatif_FSX_X-Plane/fsx%202016-05-15%2013-26-33-12.jpg]

[Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93773613/Comparatif_FSX_X-Plane/fsx%202016-05-15%2013-28-04-97.jpg]

Below are P3D examples of a payware photoreal scenery seen at very low altitude, with a mix of autogen (vegetation and buildings) and, where necessary, procedural 3D for buldings :

3#
    [Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93773613/Images/Autogen/Prepar3D%202016-12-31%2014-17-38-25.jpg]

[Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93773613/Images/Autogen/Prepar3D%202016-12-31%2014-21-40-29.jpg]

[Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93773613/Images/Autogen/Prepar3D%202016-12-31%2014-23-38-37.jpg]

[Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93773613/Images/Autogen/Prepar3D%202016-12-31%2014-28-42-53.jpg]

As usual, trees and buldings density and variety is the result of compromises in order to cope with the FSX/P3D's technical limitations.

Looking at Aerofly FS 2's current autogen, I agree it rather matches your depiction : more or less randomly sprayed trees that don't blend in the beautiful base photo.

[Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93773613/Images/Autogen/aerofly_fs_2%202016-12-29%2022-33-09-66.jpg]

I fully agree with your idea of "scenery islands", as far as "islands" are seen as VFR flight regions, not just isolated airports with a tiny local ground scenery.
    Aerofly FS 2 has a superb graphical engine that eventually could allow to overcome many old historical limitations in FSX/P3D/XPLANE. The NYC scenery is a superb demo of how AFS 2 could handle procedural 3D, it's way beyond what our "traditional" simulators could perform.

Anyway, in order third parties developers to create add-on sceneries they will need adequate tools to integrate mesh + orthophoto, and generate autogen and procedural 3D out of available databases, with manual corrections where needed (because databases are databases and it will always be necessary).

Lights and light effects is another topic. The shadowing effects on buildings in NYC is superb (but looks heavy for the graphic engine). However, ground mesh doesn't cast shadows, so that morning/evening flights in mountains look quite odd. Better fly mid-day anyway.

My 2 cents
    Cheers
    Antoine

Dear IPACS team,

I love the Robin. I used to enjoy that plane in AFS 1 and could not wait flying her in AFS 2, since that's also the family of planes I fly the most IRL.

The flying model is perfectible regarding engine and Dutch roll stability, but for now I'm just happy having her in AFS 2.

Ground steering has however a problem, making it quite unsteerable.
    It has been said previously that the front wheel has a kind of auto-locking system preventing deflection >10° at high speed (reduced weight on front wheel).q

In AeroflyFS steering behaves like the front wheel is always locked. Even with differential braking one hardly can taxi down to the runway and line up.

IRL it happens the front wheel keeps locked after a very soft touchdown and gentle slow down keeping the stick to the belly. One just has to move the stick forward and use the brakes to put more weight to the front wheel and unlock it. In AeroflyFS it doesn't work however.

I thought I was the only one having that bug, but saw some users video showing the same problem.

Thanks in advance.

I take the opportunity of this new thread to wish everyone a Happy New Year. May 2017 be the year of AeroflyFS, with an upcoming SDK enabling third parties to develop add-on sceneries with mesh, ground photo, autogen and procedural 3D. And third parties aircraft designer to start involving themselves in AeroflyFS 2 !

Cheers

Antoine

Dear IPACS team,

I love the Robin. I used to enjoy that plane in AFS 1 and could not wait flying her in AFS 2, since that's also the family of planes I fly the most IRL.

The flying model is perfectible regarding engine and Dutch roll stability, but for now I'm just happy having her in AFS 2.

Ground steering has however a problem, making it quite unsteerable.
    It has been said previously that the front wheel has a auto-locking system preventing deflection >10° at high speed (reduced weight on front wheel).

In AeroflyFS steering behaves like the front wheel is always locked. Even with differential braking one hardly can taxi down to the runway and line up.

IRL it happens the front wheel keeps locked after a very soft touchdown and gentle slow down keeping the stick to the belly. One just has to move the stick forward and use the brakes to put more weight to the front wheel and unlock it. In AeroflyFS it doesn't work however.

I thought I was the only one having that bug, but saw some users video showing the same problem.

Thanks in advance
    Cheers

Antoine

I fully agree with John. And thinking ahead, when the forum becomes a mess with valuable feedback, bug reports or helpful users hints get lost amid dozen of daily messages and repetitive questions because people don't search through pages and pages for answers that where given 10 times, the administrative burden will grow even bigger for the team.

Cheers
    Antoine

Just came back home, downloaded the SDK and compiled the DR400 according to the PDF. Everything went fine in my case with 1 click and maybe 1 minute compilation.

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 4.00GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit (should now appear im my signature).

Thank you so much for that great Robin being now available for AFS 2 !!! what a nice Christmas present !

Cheers
    Antoine