Posts by Trespassers

Very interesting Antoine. I grew up doing a lot of solo flying over and around sand bars and shallow water as the wide and shallow rivers of central Florida dried up each summer. Each day revealed a new or different fishing hole or place the walk in the warm water no more than a few inches deep.

These were fun times for practicing full landings with the prop usually stopped. This was as close to gliding as we got for a long time. Eventually, a gliding school was established with 2 gliders and a tow plane. I thought my Cessna 150 was as quiet as the S-222 in those days. I would turn off the engine at say 5,000 feet and pick a sand bar as my touchdown spot and enjoy the ride down.

I never ran out of gas or landed gear up, but I did come close a few times.

Thanks for the memories.

Wow, this remembers me a jaw dropping section in Canadian air laws stating that expect for specific places listed in a document, all of Canada can basically be considered as an aerodrome...

I think practicing emergencies down to actually landing is an extremely valuable experience I'm lacking. Around here, the sole places out of aifields where you might hope landing without damaging the aircraft are some seldom very clean fields (you'd hence destroy harvest) or large roads, meaning unacceptable hazzard for traffic, not to mention obstacles like powerlines, road signs, street lights, etc.

So while pratcicing we always go around just before actually touching down, except when practicing over an airfield.

I ever felt like the day one really has to emergency land in a field, one of the big dangers is to loose control before touchdown while afraid of being too fast. Glider pilots have that experience of full landing in the middle of nowhere and I'm sure that's a real help in case of emergency.

Cheers

Antoine

And would you say that the gliding behavior of say the Aerofly C172 is realistic? I

I don't fly much Cessna either IRL or in flight sims. My sole Cessna experience IRL gave me the feeling you apply a large amount of aileron in one direction and wait patiently for something to happen...

Aircraft like Robin DR400 have a glide ratio >9, meaning that it glides much better than most pilots would expect while practicing emergency landings. My meager experience with Cessna gave me the feeling it'd drop like a stone in comparison, but the glide ratio is still about 9, so you can travel horizontally 9 times your height AGL...

Cheers

Antoine

Well, I'd not be so definite : of all my engine out practice with Lycoming engines (mostly DR400) my experience is you have to slow down to quite low speeds to stop the prop... at 80kts (best glide speed for the Robin) the prop keeps windmilling.

It much depends on engine and prop...

BTW:

One aspect that is usually poorely rendered in flight simulators is the rather long delay between action on a fuel selector and effect on the engine.

During PPL basinc training my instructor would occasionnaly shut off the selector while asking me to identify the name of that village on the left, to test my actions. The engine keeps running for a quite a few seconds before to cough and shut down.

After failure processing, we would switch back on the fuel selector, wait for engine to restart and continue the failure exercise with throttle cut...

On the opposite, some aircraft in our fleet have 2 additional 40 liters wing tanks. When flying long range and if I have enough ground clearance I like to use them until they run totally out of gas - there's no point in leaving 5 liters in them that you won't be able to use in case you are a little bit short...

So the gauges indicate zero for several minutes (up to 10 minutes actually !), and you never know when the engine will suddenly run out until it suddenly happens.

The procedure may differ from an aircraft to the other, for the DR400 you turn on the electrical pump and switch the fuel selector to the desired tank and wait keeping level flight until airspeed drops to best glide speed, then you let the aircraft glide down keeping best glide speed (80kt clean).

I never did it with a stop watch in the hands so far, but I'd say it can last some 30 seconds, maybe more, with the prop windmilling until the engine restarts... I can tell you, with the engine out it feels like an eternity!

So never do it without enough ground clearance...

If the prop would stop mindmilling it's even worse since you don't know when the engine is ready to restart...

My 2 cents...

Cheers

Antoine

Hi all,

Macbook pro 2018 user.

(...)

On appstore version, all work fine but you have a graphical issue for macbook pro 2018.

What kind of issue?

I’not sure to understand : can you get DLC via Steam or not Steam doesn’t work at all for mac ?

If steam is not available for mac users we can find workarounds for scenery installers.

What are the specs of your computer, can you run Paris smoothly on mac ?

Thanks

Antoine

Hi Folks,

I'm desperately seeking for feedback from Mac users of AFS2, are there any on the forum ?

The information I'm searching is :

a) are AFS2 and DLCs accessible via Steam in your Mac enviroment? or do you need to get them from other servers?

b) in case you use France VFR Paris Ile-de-France scenery, did you install it with the installer or via Steam?

c) how does this scenery run on your system? what are your computer specifications?

Thanks in advance, you can reply in PM

Cheers and Happy Easter to everybody

Antoine

Could you please show pictures to illustrate your issue ?

I would suspect individual autoheight calculation issue for your series of objects. If that's the case there are 2 methods :

1) either merge your series of objects into 1 single object, i.e. 1 single autoheight calculation

2) or set autoheight_override = 0 in your tsc file and manually adjust the Z coordinate of object placement to the absolute ground altitude in meters (use the dev cam with CTRL+F1 to estimate it)

Cheers

Antoine

Hi everybody,

Now that the Mac release of AFS2 seems to work fine again, is there any Mac user around the place who gave the France VFR Paris IDF AFS2 scenery a try?

Not that I want to advertize the product, but the sole feedback I read so far from Mac users relates to 10+ years old unknown hardware*, I'd be glad to hear how it runs on current Mac computers...

Please don't hesitate reporting in PM (start a private conversation not to spoil the forum) should you have any feedback. Thanks in advance and keep enjoying AFS2!

Cheers

Antoine

*few users seem to be aware of the hardware mounted inside their Mac...

Congratulations Phil !

Watch out, aerovirus are way more contagious and virulent than coronavirus! That grin on your face is a typical symptom!

One could draw long listings of simmers that went to real flying after eventually pushing the door of the next air-club. I'm one of these and I cheer the memories of that late afternoon some 12 years ago when I climbed for the very first time aboard a venerable WWII Piper L4 and flew her by myself with an instructor just giving directions and ready to take over whenever something went wrong, but he never touched the controls... One year later I had my PPL.

The opposite way is more seldom despite a sim definitely can bring much to a pilot, but there's a strong generational effect coupled with usually a very conservative mindset towards novelty,

Regarding whether you can learn to fly with a sim whichever it is, the answer is a mix of yes and no. You'll never replace real flight hours by simming, but you can build up a real, sound aeronautical culture that'll be helpful.

What you'll ever miss in a sim are the feelings of flight that no sim can recreate, even moving platforms and force feedback. That's the most disturbing aspect when you start learning to fly for real after years of simming, but you quickly get used to it. In many ways flying for real is easier to me than in the sim, because I feel exactly how much pressure I need to apply on that pedal/stick, while in the sim I apply a force against a fix spring without relationship with flight physics.

It's therefore seldom the case that a simulator's aim is to learn how to handle an aircraft.

Holding the aircraft in flight is the pilot's top priority, but that's not a task that requests much brain skills. It's quite like bicycle, once you've learned you never really loose it. Flying is not solely about that. The pilot's job is to manage all aspects of his flight : aviate, navigate, communicate => manage the flight from A to Z, keep situation awareness.

All those tasks request a lots of pilot's attention and skills, while holding the aircraft in flight should really be a background routine that don't request much brain CPU. That's what you train in the first hours of PPL preparation.

Most "flight management" tasks request frequent training to keep fluent and up-to-date, and that's where a simulator can be very helpful if used properly.

Back to your flight with an instructor. That's typically what we call initiation flight and the goal is really that the person to initiate gets a feel of the aircraft and how to handle her. Now, how much the instructor let's you do really during initiation flight very much depends on alchemy, how s/he "feels" you.

One of the first tests is ground taxi where the instructor will gauge you. Nobody'll expect you to taxi perfectly the aircraft, you're not supposed to know how to do it, but the instructor will give you directions and wants to check how good he can establish contact with you, how you react, how you handle...

Unless touchy conditions, there are not much risks to let a "newbie" takeoff such basic instruction aircraft. The instructor can easily correct whenever you do something wrong,

Ideally, the instructor wants to feel like s/he's remote-controlling you.

In my case, he just told me "keep the stick to your belly (TW aircraft) and aim to a point you see ahead of you, a cloud or whatever, you'll gently apply full throttle and keep aligned with the feet. Expect to apply right foot, enough but not too much. When the aircraft rolls, you gently bring back the stick to center point, but never beyond. The aircraft will takeoff by her own..."

After some 20 minutes flight, the first landing was a nice 3-point on grass. The second was not so nice, ideal to remember that's where the pilot's real job starts in a Piper L4...

But in many cases the instructor doesn't let you do as much in initiation flights. Not necessarily that you behave bad, but some instructor don't feel so good with it. Anyway, if the person then registers for learning to fly, the instructor will sooner or later have to give you the controls... so better start early and gauge whether there is potential or if the candidate should rather turn towards knitting...

You can have as many initiation flights as you want, even if you dont intend to go for a Licence (In my case, after the first flight with the L4 I then test flew different aircraft of the air-club to select the type I'd choose for learning), and in case you decide to go ahead with learning, initiation flights may be recorded as instruction in your logbook.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I strongly recommend initiation flight to anyone, even without plans to go any further. They're very affordable and worth the money.

Cheers

Antoine

Salut Drassaud,

Merci pour les compliments.

Oui, cette scène s’attaque aux plus grandes complexité et densité que l’on peut rencontrer en France, raison pour laquelle elle représente un bon test des capacités d’AFS2, et les performances du simu sont assez époustouflantes.

Si la techno fonctionne sur Paris, elle fonctionnera sur n’importe quelle scène en France.

Si ton PC est un peu juste pour la VR, tu peux gagner des performances en désactivant les lumières qui consomment beaucoup de ressources même de jour.

Pour ce faire, tu ajoutes un double underscore __ devant le nom du répertoire idf_lights.

Désactiver les nuages aide aussi pas mal, semble-t-il, ainsi que les ombres sur medium.

Je contrôlerai les bâtiments dont tu as envoyé un screen. D’ordinaire, les bâtiments qui volent sont liés au chargement de la scène ou à l’affichage du mesh. Est-tu sûr d’avoir tous les paramètres graphiques sur ultra, à part les ombres ?

A+

Antoine

Hi Virgilwei,

Yes, as stated Charles-de-Gaulle, Orly and le Bourget airports are not modelled as operational airports but only featured by their main buildings + jetways + runway lights since out of scope of this VFR-oriented scenery.

What you see is the ground photo, so that the airport looks good from the sky.

We however made it flat enough so you still can take-off, land and even taxi to the gate if you really want, but it’s not a modelled airport as such.

As described, there are 3 highly detailed major GA airports in this scenery:

LFPN Toussus-le-Noble

LFPZ St-Cyr

LFPL Lognes

We advise you to rather choose one of these.

There are plans to create an expansion with more airports if there’s a demand, but it takes some time and those big airports are out of scope.

Should you really starve of having functional runways in CDG we can advise you to turn towards the free FS Cloudport addon. We can help you deactivate their generic buildings so that only runways get placed.

BTW you should rather use OpenGL since Vulkan currently encounters stability issues

Cheers

Antoine

Installation failed. Have my example and AF2 from Steam. Have it it installed and after starting AF2 the mouse was gone. Ok. I have killed my complete installation of AF2 and reinstalled. Nopw the complete AF2 failed. Another Atempt failed also.

I'm not sure to understand, what do you mean by AF[S]2 fail? you cannot start the sim?

BTW Steam has a handful function to check the files integrity of AFS2, maybe it can help.

Are you sure you have enough disk space on your steam drive?

Make sure also you don't use Vulkan, but OpenGL.

I don't remember ever flying a Cub with a working radio. We either flew without comms or used a portable hand held radio if flying into a controlled airport. But, then I don't remember flying a Cub Special either.

I logged a few hours in an authentic 1944 L4 - the L-Bird version of Cub, the only WWII warbird I could afford flying. We had a fix-mounted radio with 2 headsets (I could leave mine in the car with all the paper stuff you don't need aboard the L4).

Since there's no alternator you had to remember plugging the radio battery to the charger when tiding up the bird for the night in her hangar.

If nobody forgot to plug the charger for the night, then I could almost hear in the headset my instructor sitting in front of me and shouting in his microphone. With some explicit gestures from him I could even understand - or should I say interpret - what he meant.

I never ventured in a controlled airspace with the L4.

Not that I need the COM radio in AFS2, there's nobody to talk to. I was just wondering if anybody managed to switch it on ;)

Cheers

Antoine