Posts by Trespassers

Dear IPACS team,

Thank you so much for that amazing update just before Christmas. I quickly test flew the new F-15 over the brand new NYC scenery.
    I'm totally excited by the very high detail level and the amazing fluidity! This AeroflyFS 2 is really astoundingly efficient. I really hope third party editors will pluck up courage and start developing add-ons with the sdk.

I wish the whole team and all the dear followers on the forum a Merry Christmas and all the best for a Happy New Year. Long life to AeroflyFS!

Antoine

Well in the upcoming Aerofly FS 2 dr400 aircraft we have modelled that locking (for all aircraft with front wheel steering actually)

Thanks for the info. I'm really fond of AFS and there are really good things coming up. The most demanding aspects of the simulator are already there and prove to be yet nicely efficient : the graphical engine. I'm pretty confident systems simulation will grow up with the sim. BTW, looking at our beloved other Flight sims, state of the art editors like A2A hardly use native systems modelling, but they more and more integrate proprietary external routines to render aircraft behaviours... When the aircraft SDK allows it, I don't see any reason why it could not be the same with AFS2 whenever some system is not natively featured (or not detailed enough)...

Cheers
    Antoine

If the nosewheel can deflect 5 or 10deg it's not locked. On the DR400 it's basically a fully automated switch between low and hi. (...)

I'm afraid we're just playing with words. There's no low or high, it's simply a lock that prevent the wheel from steering any further.
    Low would mean the deflection is progressive over the rudder pedal range, simply with a reduced ratio. It's not the case... Try steering the aircraft with the lock not released, applying a little pedal or full pedal gives exactly the same result : the same, limited wheel deflection. In that sense it's a lock, simply with some play.
    As you say, the slight wheel deflection is enough to keep the aircraft on track without oversteering...

Cheers
    Antoine

The real Robin DR400 has an auto-lock system on the front wheel, that reduces wheel deflection to some 5° (or is it 10, not sure anymore).
    You need to compress the front wheel shock absorber to release the lock and allow full deflection, linked to the rudder pedals. Technically, at take-off the nose wheel locks and applying moderate or full rudder doesn't make a difference on the front wheel, on rudder only.
    After landing, when braking, the front wheel sock absorber compresses and unlocks the steering...
    On several occasions however, in case of very soft landing without much braking, the lock didn't release and I was unable to steer to vacate. A short, firm braking quickly releases then the lock.
    When leaving the aircraft you walk down the rear of the wing, which in some occasions also happens to lock again the front wheel, preventing you from steering with the bar. You just hang yourself to the propeller, and hear the clung noise during compression, telling the steering wheel is now unlocked again...

This system has never been modeled in sims. The AFS1 Robin was rather easy to keep centerline at takeoff, but I'm used to steer with toes only...

Cheers
    Antoine

Does it help if you unplug and then reconnect the device? Maybe the driver software crashed but that could be restarted that way I think...?

Dear Jan,

Just tried it out again today, but this isn't even a workaround. Unplugging and replugging my yoke and pedals doesn't reactivate them, I had to reboot...

Thanks and have a good week-end
    Antoine

My mistake, I didn't notice the default settings were assigning the COM1 switch button to both COM1 & COM2.
    After reassigning the buttons everything is ok now.

Thanks a lot for your help and sorry for the disturbance

BR
    Antoine

Thanks a lot for that reply.

It actually makes a real visual difference when flying in the mountains, especially in the morning or late afternoon. But yes it increases the load on the GPU, thus such a feature would deserve a switch.

BR and keep up the good work
    Antoine

Dear IPACS team,

First of all I don't want to be the one complaining. I'm really fond of both AeroflyFS editions and just bring topics on the table for open discussion since AFS2 is under a very promising development, please don't take it the wrong way.

I noticed in AFS2 that the mesh (in other words, mountains) don't cast shadows on the ground, depending on day time.
    I know such a feature would increase GPU load but was such a topic discarded on purpose from the roadmap, or are there plans to integrate it in the future?

Thanks and best regards
    Cheers

Antoine

Dear IPACS,

The notes for latest Update Version 2.0.1EA3.36 mentions "Fixed transponder code can be set with Saitek Radio Panel and buttons/keys".

I tried this out but it doesn't work in my case, I can display the XPDER code on my radio panel, but cannot set it.

There's also a bug with Radio Panel COM1 Standby Switch Button, that switches both COM1 and COM2 sby frequencies.
    In the settings panel they work properly, but not once in the aircraft.

Best regards and keep up the good work.
    Cheers

Antoine

i am using version 2.0.1EA3.36 (not beta) and have the flickering as well. In addision the landmarks seam to be locked to the plane and not to the ground. If i activate the landmarks they are correct (flickering) but when i fly on they move with the plane.

Same for me. If I switch off and on again the landmarks, they're ok for a few seconds, then they start flickering again...

Cheers
    Antoine

The slope itself is represented well. Its only that slope changes over the runway are smoothed out. This needs to be done so that we can use the raw ground mesh that is very bumpy. Airports modelled in 3D are, for example, Catalina and Zurich Intl. But pretty much all airports in the Aerofly FS 2 have sloped runways. Only if you are lucky and the terrain underneath is very flat, then the resulting slope will be so slight that you can call it flat. (Like in the real world)

I had a closer look in AFS (both 1 & 2, it's the same regarding this issue).
    You're right, there's some overall slope remaining over the place, with the altimeter showing 2'020ft at threshold 18 and 2'000 at threshold 36 (I have no better tool yet to explore the mesh).

In the real life, threshold 18 is at elevation 2'041ft, while threshold 36 is at 1'999ft, thus twice the overall slope.
    The slope is however not constant, with a curve bottom approximately at the mid runway with elevation 1'997ft.
    The real slope is therefore more than 4 times steeper than modelled in AFS, that's why you loose the effect and miss the realistic feeling.

Since most GA airfields were discarded from AFS in this area of Switzerland (LSGY Yverdon, LSGN Neuchatel, LSGB Bex, LSGP La Cote, without talking of glider places), it would be very much appreciated if Lausanne could get a little bit closer from the real thing regarding the runway (there's anyway no building modelled).

Do you think there's a chance ?
    Thanks in advance and best regards.

Antoine

Thank you Jan,

I fully agree, the real thing is much more complex than the AFS1 model.

But at least there is something. I used to set a rather calm wind setting and was pleased to feel some turbulences when flying in the Alps.
    Typically, I avoid flying in the Alps IRL when then wind is above 20-25kt.

Of course, a glider pilot tries to take profit of aerology. As a piston engine aircraft pilot, I rather tend to do with, and a calm wind setting in AFS1 brings some life.

On the opposite, I found fancy behaviours in AFS 2 with the aircraft flying smooth and horizontal, but experiencing a sudden "loss of power" when passing by a ridge, without direct pitch effect or turbulence (the only apparent pitch effect is induced, after loosing some 300 rpm).
    As if there was a sudden down draft that however didn't affect flight path, but suddenly the cruising aircraft was in climbing conditions while flying horizontal...

Dependip on the flight direction, you suddenly reach an over rev instead, with the same phenomenon, just inverted...
    The AFS1 model made more sense in that kind of scenario IMO.

Best regards
    Antoine

Dear IPACS team,

One of AFS1's great feature was that when you setup wind, it actually flows over ground and interacts with it.
    You could even display the wind vectors, materializing the drifts.
    It makes a real plus when flying within mountains or overflying ridges, compared to the blank, laminar flow through mountains we have in other simulators.
    Of course, the real thing is extremely complex to modelize, but the result wasn't bad at all.

The wind vectors display function disappeared from AFS2. I still felt some wind interaction with the ground, but not quite comparable to AFS1 either, as if there were only up or down drift, but no turbulence effect...

What about this feature ? Is there a chance to have it back ? Or was the computing model totally removed from scope ?

Best regards and keep up the good work

Antoine

The slope itself is represented well. Its only that slope changes over the runway are smoothed out. This needs to be done so that we can use the raw ground mesh that is very bumy.

There I'm not sure to understand. As far as I could see the slope is not featured, but the whole area has been flattened out, just as if the mesh was locally "corrected".
    In the real world, on rwy18 approach you have to feel a bit low, due to the downhill runway slope, and watch your speed, especially with low wing aircraft with strong ground effect. There are also electrical power lines in short final.
    On the opposite qfu (36) you feel like a steeper than usual approach glide due to the city uphill climb and the slopy runway...

You totally loose it unfortunately in both Aerofly FS versions.

Antoine

Thanks for that reply. I understand.

There are of course special airports, especially in the mountains, with specific slopes being part of the landing/take-off procedure, like Courchevel in France. Such airport will definitely need a dedicated local 3D modeling, just like it is the case with FSX/P3D.

Slight slopes like in Lausanne, however, are not uncommon worldwide and would be a great feature of AFS if the smoothing parameter could render them.

Best regards and best luck to Aerofly FS2.

Antoine

Dear IPACS team,

This is a topic I mentioned in another thread, but let's post a thread about it.

Among so many great feature in AeroflyFS (actually both versions), one feature makes it different from most sims : runways don't need to be flat!
    It makes starting from places like LSGC Les Eplatures (in the Jura range) feel very realistic.

Unfortunately, Lausanne LSGL was applied a flatten, while the actual runway features a non-constant downhill slope up to 2.5%, making the landing on R18 slightly touchy, especially when approaching with some extra speed in low wing aircraft like the Robin.
    This flatten was already there in AFS1 and I secretly hoped it would be removed in AFS2, but it's not the case.

Is there a chance this flatten could be removed and the real slope of LSGL Lausanne be rendered in a patch ? Or is this flatten compulsory due to technical limitations only allowing slightly non-flat rendering?

Below is a link to LSGS AD INFO file, showing the actual runway profile.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4giv…ETTE_LSGL_ADINFO.pdf?dl=0

Thanks in advance and keep up the good work !

Best regards
    Antoine

Thank you Michael and Jan for your replies. Roger that. IPACS is doing a great job and are apparently actively gathering feedback from third parties editors to develop their SDK. I'm looking forward to seeing what's coming out of this, especially how AFS2 will deal with high loads of 3D buildings and vegetation like current standards in FSX/P3D. Looking at San Francisco it seems very promising.
    Regarding aircraft, as long as the SDK allows it, I'm pretty confident that editors like A2A will be able to program sophisticated models of systems behavior as they currently do for FSX/P3D.

I tried integrating AFS1's nice Robin in AFS2, but remained unsuccessful... Looking at the files and structures, it might be the case that only a few things are actually missing...

Best regards
    Antoine

Best regards

Thank you. After some testing, it seems the Saitek driver is somewhat unstable in my case, nothing to do with your mod. Amazingly enough it works very well in the Aerofly FS settings menu, where every switch can be checked, but once the aircraft is loaded the radio panel sometimes remain dark, both with or without your mod.
    BTW nothing to do with rpm, you don't idle avgas engines, or you quickly foul the plugs. You always keep some 1'000 rpm when on ground (except for idle check) which is well enough for the alternator to load.

Tonight I could make my radio and switch panels work exactly the same with or without your mod. Except 1 small bug (COM1 standby switches both COM1 and COM2 – nothing to do with your mod, I have the same without), only a few switches in the Cessna 172 can be operated from the panel (mostly lights).
    Magnetos key, battery main, alternator, avionics, fuel pump, etc. cannot be operated from the panel, although in Aerofly FS setting menu they are properly assigned and recognized as such by Aerofly FS. Looks like in the mod these switches can be operated with the mouse only... Do you think there is a chance in a next release to have these switches linked to those defined in Aerofly FS Saitek panels menu ?

Thanks again and best regards
    Antoine