Posts by mhab

Hello

Repaint 14 of the AS350 Écureuil is a South American helicopter based in Santiago de Chile. The Ecocopter registration CC-CXX.

Ecocopter is known for unusual paint schemes, all of which are designed by the president of Ecocopter himself.
    It was quite a challenge for the color transitions.

See Ecocopter version at the pacific coast in the Torrey Pines scenery.

P.S.: I'm getting a bit sad as there will be not many more repaints coming ...

Mike-DE

Hello

After the Towing discussions I want to return to the main theme and list some basic things I miss:

Instrument display size and position
    When I display instruments and arrange them where I want them, fine so far.
    Their position is remembered even at a new startup.
    Problem:
    If however I hide and later show them again they come up in standard size and in any place and not where they had been. This leads to the fact that I always let them visible although I would prefer to have clean screenshots without instruments. Later I crop my screenshots afterwards to get rid of the instruments.
    All this because I got tired of always rearranging my instruments.

Keyboard Shortcuts: ((re-edited))
    This seems to be a bit of a weak point in aerofly.
    - not all shortcuts are displayed in the menu
    - only a subset can be changed
    - usable keys are very limited
    - useful shortcuts cannot be assigned (e.g. show position pointer) ((added later))
    - in rc7 Shift+w is even used redundant (Walk Mode and Wind display) and w doesn't work as
    displayed on the console output
    - in latest update "L" doesn't toggle the split window display (as mentioned in Jet-Packs towing plane description),
    and according to manual it should be "S", but that doesn't work either ((re-edited))

These two topics spoil the experience in an otherwise extraordinary well working simulator.
    They are at the core - kind of - and in this way more important than other gimmics in my opinion

Mike-DE

Hello Rodeo

I thought it would be fair to include a German version, so here you go ...

The number 13 repaint of the AS350 Écureuil is a german helicopter. The HELIX Fluggesellschaft mbH registration D-HFIX. It is based in sothern Germany.

See HELIX Flug GmbH version in Norrison Island scenery.

P.S.: Rodeo: If you want it early (before the official download) let me know ...

Mike-DE

Hello

The number 12 repaint of the AS350 Écureuil is a very beautiful helicopter. The Native Air painting of the machine named Native 4 registration N44925. It is based in Arizona (USA). Sources in the WEB are very rare and it seems this extraordinary painting is no longer used ... If so, it is sad but it will soon be available in RC7 :)

See Native 4 version in Monument Valley scenery.

So it seems part 3 is complete, but I am not through all my favorite versions ...

Mike-DE

Hello

The number 11 repaint of the AS350 Écureuil is a South Australian rescue helicopter. The VH-ELP Life Saver Rescue 7.

See the Life Saver version in Ayers Rock scenery.

It will be available in part 3 of repaint downloads ...

Mike-DE

Hello

The number 10 repaint of the AS350 Écureuil is dedicated to an american rescue helicopter. The N104LN Life Net operated by Air Methods.

Air Methods Corp. is the largest publicly owned emergency medical services helicopter operator
    in the United States, with a fleet of over 400 medical transport helicopters, as of 2011.

Air Methods' Headquarters are located at Centennial Airport in Dove Valley, Colorado, though the postal
    designation of nearby Englewood is used in the company’s mailing address.
    (source Wikipedia)

See the Life Net version in Bennet Field scenery.

Remark:
    I am planning for another 2 repaints, which will then conclude part 3 of AS350 repaints. I have two very beautiful ones in mind, but if you are looking for a special version let me know.

Mike-DE

Hello

As it is so much fun and the AS350 Écureuil is used all over the world I gave it yet another try :) ...
    This time the UTAir version. UTAir is one of the biggest helicopter operators worldwide and based in Chanty-Mansijsk, Oblast Tjumen, Russia.

See the UTAir version in scenery Wöllaner Nock.

This UTAir version might be included in part #3 of AS350 repaints if there is enough interest for it. Let me know ...

Mike-DE

Hello

Repaint #8 for the AS350 is done and the last missing piece for part 2 of AS350 repaint downloads.

"Save the best for last" is the motto for this repaint, and it took all I could think of to do this one ...
    It was the most challenging one, but without question my favorite :)

See the Air Zermatt version in the Fassa Valley (Euromeeting) scenery:

Mike-DE

Hello

I couldn't resist to do this Austrian HUBI-FLY Version for the AS350 for it's unusual painting.
    It was the most challenging repaint up to now and I tried my best to imitate the original (within the texturing limits of the existing model).

See the OE-XCH in the Salzburg scenery ...

Hope you like it.

Remark: I was in contact with Aerofly staff meanwhile, and there should be a dedicated upload/download area for rc7 repaints soon.

Mike-DE

Hello

I think there is an inconsistency in the keyboard shortcuts in RC7 for Shift+W

Use F1 to bring up the Help menu, and there you can read a.o.:
    SHIFT+W ... Toggle Walk Mode
    SHIFT+W ... View compass rose & wind

In the View Menu there is NO Shortcut displayed after Walk Mode, but for Show Compass & Wind it says Shift+W

If you do Shift+W in fact it toggles Walk mode and at the same time gives a console message that 'w' shall be used to leave walk mode.

It would work well if "w" would toggle walk mode and "Shift+w" would toggle Wind & Compass display.
    Only problem is it is not implemented that way ....

Mike-DE

Hello

Another repaint draft for the AS350:

This time the British Army Defence Helicopter Flying School (DFHS) HT.1 with # 55

Remarks: I had to go for some compromise, as the model is slightly different from the real one (doors, windows) and texturing specifics don't allow to write the number on the front.

Upload will hopefully be in near future ...

Mike-DE

Hello

Here is another repaint draft for the AS350.
    This time a Swiss Heli of air grischa, HB-ZKP in the 2009 version.

Remark:
    It's getting more and more fun to repaint the Écureuil :)

Once I feel confident, I will head for the upload ...

Mike-DE

Hello again

A new day and new ideas. Preview problem is solved !

Here my findings:

1) The size of the preview needs to be square e.g. 512x512px and NOT 1024x768 as mentioned in the downloadable PDF description about how to repaint !!!

2) The graphic conversion tool which creates ttx (af5-makemaps.exe) expects a special png file named preview.png. If this is not present an error is printed through conversion (but the rest is still done). It seems this tool doesn't handle transparency info in a PNG as expected.

The work-around and clue is to create a Tiff with transparency info and convert it like a normal texture file, as described by Jet-Pack.

So by converting my PNG with transparency (preview_color.png) into a Tiff with transparency (preview_color.tif) and then running the "af5-makemaps.exe" to get a preview_color.ttx and finally renaming it to preview.ttx solved my problem.

A long way, but a solution in the end.

P.S.: Will keep you informed once the repaint is uploaded :D

Thanks
    Mike-DE

Hello Jet-Pack

Thanks for the very helpful hints :)

I guess I made some progress, and manged to save a png with transparent background.
    Still the conversion does NOT recognize the transparency info and "ruins" the png during conversion.

I don't have metasequoia and needless to say I don't have the 3D model of the AS350.
    This is a bit frustrating and I really don't get why the preview thing needs to be such a difficult hassle grrrrr ...

It's getting late, I will fight on tomorrow ...

Thanks for the cheers
    Mike-DE