Posts by HiFlyer

After being pretty much a vive exclusive for a long while now, Google earth has finally arrived for the Oculus.

Its an amazing experience flying over all that 3D landscape and very much an eye-opener.

Recommended for all flight simmers. (Visit New York And San Francisco) :cool:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Could this be too big of an update for Steam to handle reliably? Would Aero be the largest program on steam? Perhaps they would organise downloads differently if they expected to be given 70 GB updates?

I kind of doubt it. Games like Grand Theft Auto 5 and others are regularly 60GB downloads or larger, and I believe the complete X-plane comes in at about 90GB

Considering how many millions of people simultaneously downloaded GTA on day one with a relative lack of incident, I suspect Steams internet backbone is more than enough to handle the task.

Are you just seeing it now (after the GPU upgrade)? I just upgraded one of my testing PC's to the 1080Ti and haven't seen these issues as of yet.

The GPU upgrade and the issues with the AF download were nearly simultaneous, so there's no real way to tell which might be the root of the problem. I had been experimenting, and would have reported if I found any way to reliably replicate the issue at will.

I think all our current simulation tech has its flaws.

X-planes night views are unsurpassed but of course, then you have the strange-ish and generally unconvincing ground textures by day. FSX/P3d do better, but then you accept the fact that the repetitive landclass textures generally are only tangentially related to what's there in real life, though that can be mitigated by judicious use of orthophotos....

Of course then you still have the Oooms and a host of other issues of a sim that is showing its age, but tens years is a great run!

Finally you have Aerofly, which embraces the concept of Orthophotos with all the advantages, and yes all the disadvantages, including enormous size and lack of clarity at low levels, unless you accept even more enormous sizes. And of course there is the lack of autogen.

Autogen, I think, can be addressed. The technology exists to do so, though whether AF is heading that way will only be answered by time. Low level will be addressed, I suspect, by very high resolution ORBX style airports/cities that extend a few miles into the surroundings, and then fade to the standard Aerofly resolution.

The only available tech I know of that goes pretty much from orbit to individual blades of grass is Outerra, and that's moving slower than probably anything else you could name, so..........

Hmmmmmmm.

I have good feelings that AF can become something great, but yes, like all the others, it will have its challenges to address.

Hm, interesting... does this mean default XP11 will show all these buildings somehow...?

I had started a conversation about this with Tonywob, and he said his W2XP "mostly already supports" OSM3D tagging, and that the new autogen in X-plane 11 had begun using it as well. I suspect he means mostly height tags though, and not necessarily shape.

Still, the tech has appeared in X-plane previously, and I was thinking AF could do even better. On the other hand, perhaps the devs have something completely different in mind.

This shows how it could work, though. (However the facades shown here are mostly very bland, probably due to memory constraints at the time?)

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I had the same problem. Steam wanted to reserve ~70 GB but I only had 68 GB. I moved the steamapps\common\Aerofly FS 2 Flight Simulator\scenery\images\world folder to an another drive to make room for the update. After the update was finished I moved the folder back.

And this is why I always have lots of extra storage capacity. So I can transfer and reorganize main/working drives at will.

The problem as you know might be the performance hit that comes with this solution. Look at NYC, that could have been much more populated than it currently is but the building count had to be reduced to fit into the performance model of FS 2. Now, something like this could possibly be done in groups, that might be meet performance vs. population.

Also, I see these particular models as ugly, but that's just my own personal opinion talking :)

This goes back to something I asked before about LOD's, as it's pretty obvious that AF draws buildings out to a pretty enormous distance, which yes would obviously affect performance if it was all filled with buildings. But does (or can) AF not use traditional scenery LOD to keep the number of buildings on screen at any one time manageable?

Edit: Hmmmm.... and I just found out X-Plane has started incorporating this, so apparently it's at least technically possible.

Yes, please... having all those buildings as grey objects would be nice already because right now I seldom have the idea I am flying over cities due to the lack of 3D buildings. It is a shame that quite often I can't even see I am getting close to a city because of this. And when I am near or over a city I have no clue what kind of city or neighbourhood it is because everything is flat and you get a totally wrong impression of it all. This still is my biggest problem with Aerofly FS 2.

Well gray might even be acceptable as a temporary measure, but what I was actually thinking was that it might be possible to come up with a program to automatically scale and assign textured facades to the shapes. I've seen programs that do something similar, and even though the facades wouldn't be authentic to the actual buildings, in most instances that's already the case anyway.

Just a random thought.

Ha. Not hours, days and nights for me. I'm so far back in the woods that we don't even have Fiberglas yet - we are still using wooden boats. Fiber is a figment of someone's imagination. DSL is a biggie here. �� �� ��

I'm just going to avoid the bad tile area for now. Maybe the next big update with some new airplanes and AP upgrades will fix it. I'm hoping.

Regards,
    Ray

I actually had my internet upgraded yesterday to address this issue. If I'm going to be downloading things this enormous, tying up my connection for 19 and 20 hours and pretty much locking anyone else in the house out of the internet simply wasn't going to fly.

With my new connection, downloading Aeroflys 120gb of files took a much more sane 4 hours

Its called VTOL VR and is a WIP by a single programmer in Unity. I think he's doing a lot of very interesting heavily VR specific stuff. I suspect some of the things he's doing will become standard VR flightsim practice.

https://twitter.com/bahamutod?lang=en