Posts by jcomm

Rotation.....that's a difficult part IRL because since the last few years loadsheet/trim errors are happening much more often.

This means that you can't simply pull back on the sidestick with the same force all the time.

Sometimes you are making a very small input and the nose immediately starts rising (and you have to immediately push the stick forward again to stop the rotation) and on the other hand you are sometimes pulling the stick back almost all the way to get the rotation just barely started.

Precious info bbrz

Well,

all I can say going through this thread is that I just want the Future of AEFS2 goes Bright !

Jan's and Ray's contributions remind me so much of their enthusiasm with MS FLIGHT ... It was contagious, and Jan did some really nice work for the user community back then.

And, let's not forget that we have among us a real driver ( bbrz ) whose contributions are Precious!

Thank you guys! You're really - finally! - driving again my attention and will towards AEFS2, even if I am so disappointed with flight simulation other than Aerowinx PSX, DCS and IL2 Battle of... that it will take some time for me to decide to push AEFS2 again to my tiny SSD disk :)

I know the latest progress is Great!, no doubt about it, and I also know ATC, and maybe even a rotary wing are coming next, but there are IMO some very basic features that I believe would be really important to be brought into the simulation:

- being able to set fuel levels and distribution, and actually being able to make fuel management, and, of course, having the aircraft engines consuming it...

- being able to at least set GW when selecting an aircraft and / or Pax + Cargo + Fuel loads...

I believe the framework used for the modelling of aircraft in AEFS2 already allows for all of this, but just like custom instruments it has to be hardcoded, including calculations for the affected CoG as fuel gets consumed along the flight, but what I ask is, will such features make their way into AEFS2, or more probably be delayed until AEFS3 ?

I gave a look at the ( tmd ) aircraft definition files for the presently included aircraft and found with help from the wiki how AEFS2 allows for fine-tuning of the propwash effects.

At least I believe I understood that:

- to each wing / stabilizer / elevator / rudder and even part of the ( up to 16 I believe ... ) fuselage components, the FDM engine applies the effects of propwash / spiraling slipstream.

- the aircraft designer can edit the tmd files and set multipliers for these effects, by adjusting the magnitude of the propwash flow over a given surface and also the "torque" it induces.

This sounds ok, but, does the core FDM automatically adapt this calculations to situations where we have one of the following, or a combination of:

.) High AoA ;

.) Sideslip ;

.) Strong X-wind, and aircraft still in contact with the ground ( for instance during takeoff ), where the propwash flow will be deflected considerably into the downwind side of the aircraft, affecting differently the left / right wing surfaces and fuselage

?

So, when we use these fine tuning parameters, can we assume that they're just there to fine tune the calculations that AEFS2 performs by default ? And, if that's the case, how does AEFS2 perform those calculations by default for each aircraft model ? Does it take into consideration, in any way, it's form / geometry ?

And... would we have some sort of debugging output where some aerodynamics / weather variables could be displayed. Propwash speed for instance, ...

CavendishD,

thank you for your suggestion. Actually I played DCS for a long while ( started in 2005 I believe.. with it's predecessor and jcomm is also at the ED forums if you search.. ), more "seriously" with the release of the p51d in 2012. Latter I was also offered a license for IL.2 Battle of Stalingrad, and I ended up playing those two sims more thanany other civil simulators, not because I like Air Combat ( even less War ) but because I couldn't find the same quality of flight dynamics modeliing in the other flightsims...

Eventually, through a scrutiny process, I ended up staying with IL2 Battle of Stalingrad / Moscow / Kuban, again not because of the purpose of the game, but rather because I still think it provides the best flight and overall physics modeling among all sims I have used for more than 25 yrs..., also with some help from my RL experience as a pilot for more than 36 yrs ...

My biggest hope is that AEFS2 can drag me away from combat simming where I really do not at all "feel at home".

To start with, it already provides what appears to be a sound and powerful approach to physics modeling of flight... The future updates and releases will certainly turn it progressively into an even better platform.

What they do ( IPACS ) can take time, but when done, is sound, well based, and rich of features and potential, even when adopting and tuning a forum software for their site!

That's why my confidence in the future of AEFS2 is growing rapidly :)

Hello Ray,

Your new website has good appeal. You may want to link to the Avsim.com review of Aerofly FS 2. AFAIK this is the only comprehensive review published this year.

I also authored a very detailed IFR Flight Tutorial specifically for the Aerofly FS2 Learjet 45. This flight tutorial was approved by IPACS and forwarded to a team member for final formatting and publishing. This was over 2 months ago and it is apparently not being worked on so if you like, we can explore putting the Tutorial on your website.

Regards,
    Ray

I was about to post asking if, by any chance, Ray was you :)

Now I know he isn't!

How's it going Ray ?

Haven't seen you most around avsim lately ?...

Jan,

thx for your suggestions. I did already play with some of those parameters, but further tests are required...

Regarding the prop rpm gauge response, I was referring to the instantaneous response to the RPM lever adjustments in terms of the indicated prop RPM. It's perfectly in sync, on both ww2 aircraft. I believe their should be some lag, after all just like in the other prop aircraft like the Baron 58, even the Extra and the Pitts.

I believe this must be related to the "[PitchControl][Governor.Output]" configuration, but there is no specific info on these parameters in the Wiki at presente date.

Well,

as my other flightsim in IL 2 Battle of Stalingrad / Moscow / Kuban, and I am there not because I like playing war games but rather because I like well modelled aircraft, specially powerful prop aircraft like those fighters from ww2, and since the Corsair is a well known and infamous exemplar of the tricky prop effects for those in control of such a powerful engine, I would really like to see those features better reproduced in AEFS2's model of the F4-U

.) Torque effects are mild, the slipstream too. Even in landing configuration, crossing the fence and about to flare, or even already while flaring, I can firewall the throttle and recover, without having to worry about getting g flipped upside down by the mighty power of the torque from such an engine, at such an AoA... This doesn't feel right to me at all... What could we do, by configuration file editing, about it ?

.) Prop governor responds instantaneously to prop rpm adjustments. There is no lag at all, both in the F4-U and in the P-38. I would like to see some "inertia" in the response to power changes in as far as prop pitch adjustment and associated RPM gauge variation go...

Any insight on where and how to chose what to edit ? A tutorial based on this "case study" would be great :)

For me it is all a question of resource allocation.

While I understand your concern, I also feel that the Team at IPACS being so small, and their involvement with this project certainly occupying so much time, leaves no room for improvement yet in another, more Marketing-oriented area.

I would like to see a huge community starting to adhere to AEFS2, because it deserves but also and egoistically from my PoV, because a growing community would more easily make 3pds look into it more seriously.

There is so much work to do to bring AEFS2 to a level of detail that starts to really attract the most demanding users, that I really prefer to have the site as it is right now, knowing their ( the developers ) time and work is being fully dedicated to AEFS2 development.

Very true...

Now just waiting for the Q-400 and an heli to fly around, between Swiss and LOWI :)