Posts by pmb

Thanks Rodeo, offline editing of the OSM data might be a good solution worth trying. Honestly, I was rather into quick and dirty solutions and would leave the hard work to actual scenery designers (like Godzone who are said to work on NZ).

Anyway, I am tempted to try your procedure. Should I ever overcome JOSM crashing while loading the (600 MB) .osm file, but this probably doesn't belong here.

Kind regards, Michael

Hi,

I'd expand a bit. I tried ground tiles plus cultivation for Auckland, NZ, perhaps one of the most beautiful cities of the world I happen to know. After adding the Sky Tower the result doesn't look bad (and, perhaps, can be improved upon playing with the script), however, I see two more general points.

1) Auckland City is quite well represented in OSM, however, as soon as you leave the city center you will find empty areas. The general answer to that situation in the X-Plane world (say W2XP) is "These areas can be excluded and will be filled with autogen, it's not that exact but better than nothing".

Autogen in this context (as fas as I know) refers to buildings being not placed based on their exact position in, say, OSM but on, e.g. landclass data. Do we have a similar possibiliy within ScenProc for AeroflyFS2 to fill these empty places? (The documantation is more geared towards FSX in general.)

2) "My" Auckland features two types of buildings, industrial and residental. That is understood from the (Rodeo) script. Now, City centers like Tokyo or Auckland are often dominated by neither of the two but office buildings and high rises (Tokya and Auckland for sure). The SenProc documentation does at least mention a 3rd class, i.e. "commercial". Can we try this as well or are there no fitting buildings in the libraries - yet?

Thanks and kind regards, Michael

I see. You make several different grids using the Grid tool and process them with different resolutions in FSET. This makes sense, I'll try it.

But you have to select the small squares one by one, I think.

I've got one more question.

The present workflow according to the video which I follow and which works, requires to select one square in Google Earth, save as Area.kml, shift this upon FSET and let it do its work. Next, you proceed with the second and so on. This may become a bit nasty in case you want to process a larger number of squares in a row.

Would there be a way to export a number of (say five) squares at a time to Area.kml before shifting it to FSET? I think this is less a question about the grid tool but about Google Earth, but I was not able to achieve a multiple export so far, as I can't select several of the squares at a time.

Kind regards, Michael

Here's a simple one which I made based on an example (don't ask me which one).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<[file][][]

<[tmsimulator_scenery_place][][]

<[string8][type][airport]>

<[string8][sname][Jena]> //Short name of airport

<[string8][lname][Jena Schoengleina]> //Full name of airport

<[string8][icao][EDBJ]> //ICAO Code

<[string8][country][Germany]> // country

<[string8][coordinate_system][lonlat]>

<[vector2_float64][position][50.9153990 11.7141080]> //main coordinate of airport

<[float64][height][373]> //average elevation in meters

<[float64][size][5000]>

<[vector2_float64][tower_position][50.9144997 11.7181206]> //tower coordinates

<[float64][tower_height][20]> //tower height in meters

<[bool][autoheight][true]>

<[string8][lights][]>

<[list_tmsimulator_scenery_object][objects][]

>

<[list_tmsimulator_scenery_object_animated][objects_animated][]

>

<[list_tmsimulator_runway][runways][]

<[tmsimulator_runway][element][0]

<[vector2_float64][endpoint1][50.9107319 11.7114902]> //start rwy 02

<[vector2_float64][endpoint2][50.9201747 11.7171335]> //start rwy 20

<[vector2_float64][threshold1][50.9107319 11.7114902]> //copy of 1

<[vector2_float64][threshold2][50.9201747 11.7171335]> //copy of 2

<[float64][width][23]> //runway width in meters

<[string8][name1][02]> //runway sign 1

<[string8][name2][20]> //runway sign 2

<[string8][appltsys1][std]> //all about lighting system

<[string8][appltsys2][std]> //see separate tutorial

<[string8][papi1][left]>

<[string8][papi2][none]>

<[string8][reil1][reil_uni]>

<[string8][reil2][reil_uni]>

>

>

<[list_tmsimulator_startposition][start_positions][]

>

<[list_tmsimulator_parking_position][parking_positions][]

<[tmsimulator_parking_position][element][0]

<[tmvector2d][position][50.9142934 11.7167258]> //parking coordinates

<[float64][heading][10.00]> //heading of aircraft

<[string8][name][Start Position #1]>

>

>

<[list_tmsimulator_view_position][view_positions][]

>

>

>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kind regards, Michael

Round robin can be optional: just assign up to 5 views to a robin list and define one button/key to switch them through. Assignable to joystick too, of cause. There should be an default assignment for the less experienced users, which can later be changed.

I can't think of an easier way...

Agreed, this is it.

Kind regards, Michael

Hi,

I just wanted to try your tool. I made the outline kml file and saved it. Next, I called your tool, dragged the kml file upon it, it says KML loaded. However, when I press Generate KML grid it crashes - reproducibly ("stopped working"). I went into the Windows Error Report, there are two errors, first a .NET one and next an Appplication error. The reports are long (and completely bla bla for me), but I can copy and send them to you, in case you can make sense of them.

This is Win10/64 Home, if that matters.

Any idea what's going on? Anything I can test? I've attached the kml case just for testing, it's in NZ

NZNI.zip.

As others state, it can be done, and even by more or less "normal" people like me. The downside (besides Copyright) is time and storage restrictions. You can do a small area in this detail. However, I looked upon New Zealand North Island only, and even in 1m/px working time and storage are prohibitive (1.5 TB). You obviously need some planning ahead, which regions to do in lower resolutions and which in higher ones and how to fit them seamlessly (perhaps using the recent rastering tool), and that's where things start to become involved.

As a side note, NZ isn't really in need as Godzone is supposedly woking on a professional scenery. I just was interested if it would be possible as I'm a NZ nerd.

Kind regards, Michael