Posts by Dionos

Without the sensors Oculus can't position you, it only knows through the gyroscopes whether you're turning or moving your head.

Exactly. I did a quick search and it seems Oculus currently combines the information from the sensors and the IMUs (gyroscopes and accelerometers) to determine exact head tilting/rotation. The sensors are mainly used to provide a reference, so head tilting and rotation won't drift over time, as well as to do position tracking of course. For motion rig users, there should perhaps be a switch to disable the use of IMUs for determining head rotation, though I wonder if the sensors alone are accurate enough for registering both slow and fast head tilting/rotation. Small target group for Oculus to put that much effort in it I guess...

Oculus has always used the Rift motion sensors. But I thought these were only used as a backup in case the sensor doesnt (clearly) see the HMD. I still assumed it works like that. Is there any evidence that the Rift now works differently? That would really be bad for people with motion rigs...

I love that Touch will be used for controlling instruments and interfaces!

Though, how exactly could you use Touch when also having your hands on a joystick and some type of throttle? (haven't checked out the current support to be honest...). I think Touch could potentially work as a combined throttle / hand to manipulate instruments.

I would also be very much in favor of multiplayer support. It may be an easy way of making the world more dynamic (without the need to create a complex AI system). Also it would be loads of fun ;)

Nice suggestion about the different worlds Jan. I wouldn't like to fly among people who just do whatever they feel like. I do think an integrated audio solution would be nice as well. It could be integrated somewhere in the menu (but that would need some more thought...). Ideally I guess you could "tune" to the radio of every airport, either by a simple button on the map or by actually dialing a frequency. In addition, there could be some larger-region "info" channel etc.

Anyway, even a simple way of having multiple people in the same simulation would be a great first step :)

I can't really tell if the clarity/readability has improved. There doesn't seem to be a reason for that either. I still find some text on panels a bit too small to read. I didn't change the Render Scale Factor though , so perhaps that might help.

As for god rays, they disturb me less than in the beginning. That might also be because I got used to the artifact. Anyway, in Aerofly godrays were never a problem for me.

Estimating fov increase in percentages is a bit too tricky. It has noticeably increased (that is, you're likely to notice it the first time you try the new interface), but it's only a very small difference.

Wearing the CV1 doesn't really tire me in Aerofly. I can fly just as long as I would like to fly on a regular monitor. So comfort is fine!

I was also very surprised to see force feedback disappearing in modern joysticks. With the Logitech Force 3D Pro I have one of the last Force Feedback joysticks made by the company (the Logitech G940 being the other one that comes to mind). That the current top-of-the-line Thrustmaster joysticks don't have force feedback is difficult to comprehend...

It would be very nice to have force feedback support in Aerofly FS 2. I guess it has become a chicen-and-egg problem, where the availability of force feedback joysticks would rise again only if flight sims support it (and vice versa). Perhaps if VR has a positive effect on the popularity of flight sims, people may wonder why we have such great force feedback in wheels but not in joysticks.

It is already awesome. I can only image how cool it would be to have multiplayer support. Or indeed anything that would make the world more lively as in reality.

Just tried Aerofly FS 2 in VR on the Rift. One word: amazing!

From the moment I was in the cockpit (C172) it felt great. The scale is exactly right and gives you the same feeling of a compact cockpit like when you get inside a real (sports) aircraft. The eye for detail really pays off in VR. The instruments and controls look so realistic. I especially appreciated the 'layers', e.g. in the heading indicator: the rotating part, heading bug, indications and reflection on the glass. The Aerofly cockpits work great in VR because they are correctly scaled and detailed. They are quite readable as well.

Then, the view outside. Both on the ground and off the ground, it looked amazing. Looking forward to visiting all the available airports. They look super in VR. The view on the scenery looks very realistic and although the ground textures are often 'flat', it is greatly obscured by the 3D objects of buildings and trees. Looks beautiful!

Flying in VR is as good as always in Aerofly. No, it is better even. The ability to look around naturally is great and it gives you better awareness of where you are. Also the corrects scale and wide FOV makes flying easier, more natural and more fun. My first landing is VR was fine, no need to 'get used to it' or anything (granted I used Aerofly already a lot). One remark: could the lens flare in VR be disabled by default, because it does look ridiculous. Overall, this is really as close as it gets to simulating real flight on the PC (and it surpasses FSX in combination with FlyInside I think).

So, it is of course just a beta, and there is definitely lag when looking around (GTX670, medium settings) and using the menu. I guess the program uses SteamVR rather than the native Oculus implementation? The lag didn't make me nauseous though, so that's positive.

In sum, the VR implementation in Aerofly FS 2 is a great start. Performance needs to improve, but I can already see that this is the way people would want to do flight sims in the future ;) So promising and already so good. I'm impressed!