Posts by MrRCSound

It has been a while since I have been around. Thought I would show off the latest with my cockpit build. I am not using Aerofly at the moment, but would LOVE to. There were just some things that I could not work out with AF2. AF2 just looks better and has a MUCH better frame rate, but alas, until some things change, it is not possible. I will keep an eye out for future versions however.

Upgraded the main monitor, installed a Diagma panel, and other things. Just finishing up on details at this point.

Sounds similar to the situation I am in. I am building a flight cockpit similar to a Cessna 172 cockpit, so the "side window" monitors are placed 90* from the main. You can edit the head position so the panel is the right size, but this throws the side window positions off. When I try to set the positions of the side windows up, down, forward or back, I get a green band across the screen, like nothing is there.

There needs to be a way to set the head position for each individual view. So far I have not found a way, and it does not seem possible in AFS2. Other sims do allow this, and it works well. I have not worked on it in a while do to my fathers recent death, but when I get a chance, I will try again.

Let me know if you come up with anything, and I will do the same. :)

Andrew

Thank you all for your heartfelt condolences and prayers.

I am still in the process of building a scale cockpit. He got to try it out several times when it was 80% done. I was upgrading the main monitor the last time he was up, so he could not get a chance to see it. I was so looking forward to having him see and try the finished project. Unfortunately, that will not happen. He was so impressed by the project, and for all my life accomplishments. I could not have asked for a better father. I have a lot of good memories, I just wish I could have made a few more with him.

Andrew

My father had a massive stroke overnight, and passed away this morning. Although he did not have enough of a PC to run Aerofly himself, he loved flying the gliders in VR every time he came to my home. I always enjoyed the look on his face when he actually made a good landing. He will be much missed. I have lost my flying buddy. :(

Andrew

i cant help but wonder, why not just do VR and be in the cockpit. You have the hardware to do it.

VR is nice. I have the Rift, and it is very good, convincing even. The resolution and screen door effect, although better than it used to be, still bugs me. For other VR games, I love it. Loved it for a while for flight sim, but wanted more. I wanted the cockpit feel. Everything working... I know it is a bit overboard. My wife thinks I am nuts. LOL

Right now I have a yoke, 2 throttle quadrants, rudder pedals, and touch screen (so I can adjust instruments and radio stacks on the screen. I am working on a realistic elevator trim wheel right now. 3D printed all the parts, just need to hook it all up.

last month I asked for the possibility to 'undock' the moving map so I can hoover it to my 2nd screen, any progress for availability? Thank you.

I just gave up and went to another sim. As far as I can tell, it just will not work with AFS2, which is a shame. I have the other sim running great now, and a realistic cockpit setup, so I am happy.

Not sure about the moving map issue though, sorry.

admin,

Am I correct that if the OP could delete the cockpit interior sides of the model, he would get the desired result - that is, he could see the wings and strut but not the doors. I was thinking that could be tried with the DR400 model.

Dave W.

Hi Dave,

Back from a couple days vacation. I am going to give several things a try. I will let you all know how it works out. I really hope I can get something to work with AFS2, the visuals are worth it.

The setup you want to achieve is currently not possible. The y-value has nothing to do with your position inside the airplane, its just a position on the screen. Using the separate view list all you do is open up new rectangular areas on the screen and show the Aerofly content on it. You can't at this point set the real position inside the airplane, its somethings we would have to program first.

I see... That is unfortinate. Well, thanks for looking into it. I am off for a several day trip. See you all later.

I can't believe I am still up at 2:30AM, LOL.

Thanks for trying it out Dave and confirming you get the same green area.

I'll just wait and see what the admin has to say. I doubt they will give the 172 info either. If I can move the viewing position for each screen, that should do it. Put the viewing position right at the window on each side and adjust up and down to align the scenery. The visual experience in FS2 would be much better than I am getting now in P3D or XP-11.

Great setup - with AFS2, the performance will be quite good in terms of FPS - better than P3D by maybe twice!

Could you provide the three screen (views) main.mcf info that you are using - I have three monitors and could try to test what you are seeing. The green bars sure look like the approach guides (no idea why you would be seeing them ) so make sure they are turned off and that the Flight Information is off (all in General Settings).

Dave W.

You can DL the main.mcf from the first page here. The only difference is that I was changing the X and Y. When I change the Z the whole screen goes green.

I don't think it has anything to do with approach guides, it is a graphical glitch of some kind. Maybe linked to the bug I was having at first.

I will be away and out of touch for a few days beginning tomorrow, I look forward to what is found out.

If I can get it working, AFS2 will be FAR superior graphics wise and FPS wise. At 4K on the single screen I was still getting over 150FPS. :)

Wow! You are being very ambitious with this setup. Pretty cool!

Thanks. :) It was fun. Not quite finished yet, a few details to add like some door handles, and sun visors to give the real feel of being in a Cessna. My son and I built it in 3 days. It was actually quite cheap to do. It is built from 2x2 wood, cardboard, and fake leather attached to it. The main screen is only a 40", it really should be a 50-55", which I may upgrade to later. So, the wood, cardboard, leather all came to about $100. I had the 40" TV, and one of the 32" side TVs. Bought a used 32" for $65.

I was considering actually building a Cessna panel, but the cost for the instruments is high. Also, it limits me to the Cessna look. By using the virtual panel, I can do pretty much any small plane and it would look right.

In the future I am going to get an IR touch screen bezel to go on the monitor. That way I can use the buttons and dials via touch screen.

OK guys, I have some screen shots for you.

Images 3155, 3156, and 3158 are of my newly built Cessna cabin running another simulator. As you can see I was able to get it so there were no interior textures on the side screens so it looks just like looking out windows, you can see the strut and wing though, which is good. The landscape, and runway lines also line up between the front screen and side screens.

I think I can do the same thing with AFS2 by setting the X, Y, and Z position, but any time I change any of them, I get a green line.

Image 3159 is the default xyz settings. Image 3162 is the left side window with default xyz.

Image 3164 has the Y position set to 0.2. It does move the image position, but then I get the green line.

Image 3166 is the front screen again Y is set to 0.2.

Image 3168 is the front screen with X set to 0.2.

So it appears that any change to XYZ does move the window, but also creates this green area instead of displaying the graphics properly.

I have another problem now. :( Sorry guys. You are probably sick of me by now.

So when I edit the main.mfc file to move the position of things I get a green bar. For example, I moved the Y axis of the right screen up from 0 to 0.2. This made the landscape line up better with the front window, but I got a two inch bright green bar across the bottom of the screen.

Also, as a side note. I have built a simulator cabin. I want to use the dash board controls, but do not want to see the inside of the doors or seats, so it looks like I am looking out the windows of my cabin. I do want to see the wings and struts however. Is there a way to make them invisible, or is there a setting that would put the view right at the window edge so I don't see any of the interior?

Ok, this was indeed a bug in our latest version. We have fixed it internally and will publish an update today or tomorrow.

One warning: Running this with 3 separate views has a huge performance impact, do not expect good performance with this setup.

Thank you, thank you!!!! I really appreciate it. I am glad to know it was not just me.

I just upgraded my computer to a i7 7700K anc have it overclocked some, and a GTX 1080. It runs 3 screens on both x-plane and Prepar3d with decent frame rates, and we all know that they lag way behind AFS2 in the FPS department. I will report back how it works.