Posts by Overloaded

Your iPad 8’s S.O.C. was first used in an iPad in March 2019’s Ipad Air 3rd gen’ which is coming close to five years ago. The RAM is 3 GB. You might need to select more appropriate graphics quality and pixel density if you have those options or avoid the densest scenery with the most complex planes and very demanding time and weather. Perhaps you could try a couple each of the lower options and see how it goes, increasing gradually if it is stable?
    It is unpleasant when our devices get old but with adjustment they can still be very effective, I have a 2016 Google Pixel C running FS2023 and can get 100% pixel density with everything else turned right down and it still looks really good at 1,800 pixels vertically. It runs FS2022 on 90%, the newer version runs better.

Jan’s detailed knowledge shown here is seriously impressive, he was recently working to become a gliding instructor but as is he’d do really well in much of the ATPL theory exams.
    It is a pity that so many forum user’s (relatively casually) presumed Aerofly faults do get broadcast for all to see but to be fair we are all not simulating pushing a wheel-barrow, there is a lot to know about and actually getting that knowledge would be an awful lot of work.

Maybe we’ll get some serious work done on the plane’s audio and I don’t mean ATC. Having alive active sim performance and more FMC function will hopefully be nice one day but I’d like to see navigation done properly and a bigger nod towards weather coming first.

4deg AoA is way too high!

The 737 wing is pre-rigged at one degree of incidence and the new 737 NG/MAX aerofoil might have the Cl/Cd vs angle of attack curve peaking at less than four degrees so the cockpit AoA instrumentation display in Aerofly might not match the real thing.

Oz is on the widely travelled ‘great circle’ of Europe, Gulf States, S.E. Asia, Oz, Trans Pacific, N. America through to Europe again. Africa and S. America are more on their own. It will be a long time before Russia is used again.

Have you gone through your motherboard book to examine every single hardware setting as it might be some apparently trivial change or add-on that is mucking your computer up. Other forum users have had no problems with your chosen graphics cards so see what PC software or hardware options are running. If you have no motherboard book you can probably download one.

Go through the motherboard book from end to end. Check which slots your RAM chips are placed in, it can be done badly, did you buy add-on ram yourself? Check your graphics card’s pci express x16 slot and what other pci devices it has set up, do you have shared hard drive or audio or internet IRQ clashes with your graphics card? Did a ‘friend’ adjust or expand your PC?

Has your CPU been overclocked? Was it done competently? Are you running a sata drive off a secondary slower socket? What else is sharing your solid state drive’s data bus? Have you fitted all the extra power supply plugs to your motherboard and graphics card, are you stretching the PC’s power supply?
    Is your PC compatible with showing 4K blue rays or streamed media? Is it adjusting your PC component’s performance to ensure reliable anti-piracy encoding?

Is your windows installation an upgrade over an earlier version of windows? they can be unreliable. Was your BIOS ever upgraded, it can go wrong. Are your cooling fans adjusted or in original configuration?

Does your PC have bloated software provided by the ‘manufacturer’ to ‘help you’ and ‘make things easier’? Has your Windows been inappropriately adjusted for power and performance? Do you have mouse, keyboard or joystick recognition problems?

Is there an advanced PC settings utility perhaps tested out a long time ago?

My eternal P.C. is ancient so I’ve missed out anything new from the past ten years. It would be nice if you could try installing Aerofly on a different PC to see if your problems vanish, especially so with your past graphics cards fitted.

You get to less than 100 feet per minute climb in the Aerofly 737-900 at 39,600 feet at Mach 0.78. The angle of attack is 4.1 degrees, higher or lower attitude and you lose height, do a turn and you lose speed and or height and you cannot get it back. You have to drop several hundred feet to get a tiny performance margin to recover and very slowly creep up again.
    (Manual throttles at 100% N1, they can go higher. The 100 feet per minute climb rate is at the Service Ceiling, the point to sensibly give up).

okay so i appreciate that weight and balance is a big thing to implement, but that means that every aircraft is programmed to handle a certain way. yesterday i took the new 737 out, 33,000 feet, in the CRZ thrust limit, and while it did take a lot longer to climb, it seemed happy at altitude. no idea if i'm doing something wrong, but at flight level 350, 267 knots indicated (M.785) in the CRZ thrust detent, the speed just gradually creeps back, like it's too heavy to sustain flight at altitude. have to leave it in CLB 1 to keep my speed or else it will eventually stall out. same for the 747; anything over 35 or 36,000 it seems too heavy to be able to cope with the altitude. 35,000 shouldnt be a big ask for the 739 but it seems with this one that it is. is it because i upped the V/S just beforehand just to get it to climb quicker and didnt climb slower like i did before?

what kind of altitudes and speeds do you guys cruise at with it? do you ever touch the thrust limits once it's in cruise or leave it in CLB, CLB 1, etc

Edit: the autobrakes on the 739 dont seem to automatically disable from RTO after takeoff as well unlike every other Boeing in the sim

The FMC thrust limit page displayed after climbing above the thrust reduction height gives three options, GA, CON and CRZ. For full engine output climb the CON option provides the Maximum Continuous Thrust Limit, this will get you to the highest performance altitudes. GA gives a higher Go Around climb thrust limit.

Look at the fuel flow at high altitude. The maximum rpms only just generate sufficient air density in the combustion chambers to sustain the flame. The thrust produced is very modest and the plane can be quite close to its stall indicated airspeed despite the high Mach No. and high true airspeed through the cold very thin air. The old 707 could be routinely operating in the coffin corner, at a height where it was only a fraction above its stall and hard up against its Mach limit, unable to either slow or speed up.

Running in what can be 75% vacuum relative to sea level, the flat out engines drive the generators, feed the air conditioning packs and only what is left propels the plane. The reason step climbs are well into the flight and gain only a modest level increase is that significant fuel weight must be burned off to have any extra performance margin.

Selecting power and climb rates manually in the sim might be more rewarding and more fun.

The outside air temperature and tropopause might not be modelled world wide or even at all but above 30,000 feet in Aerofly observing the Mach limit in the climb will appropriately result in a rapidly reducing indicated airspeed so keep an eye on it but follow Mach No.

If a Mach No. hold in the climb is not possible try a carefully monitored vertical speed mode and creep up very slowly continuously reducing the rate to maintain Mach No whilst keeping the engines from overspeeding.

‘Reverse engineering’ the high altitude performance in Aerofly generates a remarkable specimen atmosphere miles away from the nominal International Standard Atmosphere.

Thanks Frank. That is web browser type read cache and I was mixing it up a bit with original cpu type cache and it makes sense to me ….a bit…. more.
    The use of the term originally associated with small amounts of extra high performance ram had me a bit vague, (I (just) remember buying and fitting optional expensive cache chips for my MSFS 5.1 486 cpu computer exactly thirty years ago).

Have you heard that iPads tend to not properly clear operating storage (?) cache? What Aerofly does with ‘simulator’ cache is presumably managed by IPACS, it surely isn’t going to just fill ALL the remaining storage?

I read that iOS cache tends to persist so if you have 3 GB RAM that would not help. I like to do the brutal 'clear all memory resident settings' shut down and restart. From Apple,

1 Press and quickly release the volume up button.

2 Press and quickly release the volume down button.

3 Press and hold the side button. until the black screen appears

When the Apple logo appears, release the side button.

The older iPads with the big start button in the glass have a different sequence. I really don't know if this helps.

I read that cache is reliably released by deliberately using up all of the RAM say by recording a big video file, this was ages ago and who knows if it is true or not? Apple never give real useful information out so there are lots of unconfirmed ideas out there.

Someone who knows about this iPad Cache could drop us a quick note please.

(I hope Jan gets a holiday!).

Even if the height was adjusted to 10% what on earth is it supposed to be? (Near the ‘lighthouse’ base (false) control tower at Bournemouth).
    Does all the new sim world have the crazy height light towers?