Posts by Overloaded

From ‘Admin’ on 16th of December in the first 2019 announcement.

“We plan on adding a 'manual mode' for most cockpit instruments in an upcoming update, but the various device sizes make this challenging.”

A little information goes a long way and for a change 🙂 I am patient and supportive.

Thanks Jan. I changed the title as I got myself in circles!, I don’t know what is really going on.

The second display is 13 degrees off the centre display but it is in fact showing 13 degrees higher and I got myself a bit mixed up (this resembles converting easterly variation magnetic back into true).

360 true minus 13 East gives 347 magnetic which would be displayed for a true track of north. The right display seems to show north instead of 347 but when trying to fly that route as displayed on the right the plane will track 13 degrees east of the ‘apparent route’ as displayed.

The plane is in fact tracking ‘apparent magnetic north’ (based on the displayed route and index) plus the magnetic variation which is how I got my “double applied variation”.

The right display sort of resembles heading true on the outer index and ‘apparent track’ true displayed but with the magnetic track being flown as should be expected if the plane is actually flying on magnetic.

Would this resemble selecting display true rather than magnetic on the right, in a flight management menu?

Variation is the difference between true north, the direction of the north pole and where the compass needle points which varies greatly across the world. Here is the north west of the Aerofly mobile scenery where the compass angle difference is highest. The route shown is almost true north, 359 degrees but because the compass points 17 degrees east of true north, in order to fly the route using the Aerofly planes a magnetic heading of 359 minus 17 degrees must be flown assuming no wind. This SkyVector chart shows the 359-17 or 342 degrees heading.

The * boxes show the compass needle bearings relative to the navigation beacons, 17 degrees of east variation.

Aerofly routes use the correct magnetic variation automatically.

In the Swiss scenery the planes can fly more or less directly, the magnetic variation is on average less than a degree.

The route displayed in the map shows about 26 degrees of magnetic variation. The outer scale is normal but the displayed route is canted wildly clockwise. This route is 003 degrees true track, 350 degrees magnetic track and the runway magnetic heading is 348 degrees. The track on the right side resembles a chart of an area with about 26 degrees of East Variation. The local variation is 13 east. I was obviously unable to check how it would look in Switzerland which has zero to 1degree East.

The other glass cockpit planes look OK.

(2019, iOS FS2 and Android beta FS2 version 2.5.17 AND PC FS2)

Spring centring is essential for fixed wing aeroplane simulation of aerodynamic force on a joystick or yoke. Motorised smart spring based feedback would be ideal but we have to make do with what we have.

With the R-22 simulation we could do with much less spring force so using trim to unload the stick is trimming the user to hardware interface and is not removing authenticity from the simulation, it is in fact restoring the natural feel of the helicopter simulation. Increasing stick and pedal sensitivity also drives the control movement range towards the light spring force centre and provides a delicate and yet more positive control input.

Give trim and increased sensitivity a try. It sort of makes sense and it works well.

Indeed, thanks to the considerable work of drassaut, Switzerland becomes more real :thumbup:Thanks again!;)

However, I have one essential point: I regret to note that the IPAC scenes of the main airports have never been 100% achieved at the level of 3D modeling. Only on the side of German-speaking Switzerland, have done a considerable job, Example: Bern-Belp, Altenrhein, Grenchen, ... Perfect! In French-speaking Switzerland, only Lausanne-Blecherette was modeled. Sion, Eplatures, Ticino, Lugano or other Basel-Mulhouse in international transit are non-existent ??? :(

I am too chicken to try the user add on scenery but I had a look at some of the sceneries in the flight-sim org pages and there is a very impressive Sion for download.

Hi Jan, Sorry for seeming to call your COPILOT auto flight stupid!, I meant the invisible, virtual deranged three bar copilot occupant of the right seat.

I got the Dash 8 spoilers up on take off again and also got half throttle selected during take off in all manual flight, must be the mutinous virtual copilot again.

It happened on a fresh sim start with the Dash 8 being the previous session's last plane used. The half throttle seems random, it can happen with a normal spoilers manual take off, the plane's engine performance can mysteriously drop off to approach power after flap retraction as an example.

I get the crazy copilot in the landing 737 too, my flaps return to 1 degree unless the speed is less than a scary 170 knots.

Is the (delightful8)) COPILOT autoflight function meant to be permanently engaged until landing? I cannot disable it properly, the 747 will do an Airbus style autonomous go around despite manual control being restored and the COPILOT green power symbol being off.

Merry Christmas to everyone in IPACS.

iPad 9.7" pro

190 GB free storabe

Fresh boot ups.

No other apps running.

The weather in mobile 2019 looks nicer, the clouds seem more convincing and darker. It makes up for the super easy mode of the mobile R-22. I'd prefer that a virtual copilot kept chatting to ATC and kept his/her unwanted hands off the controls.

ATC is in demand from the game/multiplay side and to be fair IPACS probably see them as a bigger market than the authentic flight simulation side. I'd give the ATC side what they want, compulsory perfectly filled in flight plans to use the larger planes and a one hour wait for Eurocontrol to proceess them, might put them off the bliss of a sequence of heading and height instructions.

I tried the Dash 8 and on a go around found myself getting near the end of the runway with low acceleration, the spoilers had remained up with full power applied. A throttle wiggle brought them in.

I had a normal flight and tried the ‘copilot’ for a while and tried to learn what it was all about.

After trying a sort of jammed green throttle heading hold and rate of climb hold mode I touched the mysterious downhill plane symbol while roughly lined up on finals. The ‘copilot’ disconnected and the plane became uncontrollable, unable to lower the nose I realised the trim indicator was full travel nose up with no working trim lever.

Copilot back on ! and rate of climb mode, nose down button, held down brought the trim indicator up to a desired central position. The plane was stalled at very low speed, very near the ground. Copilot off again allowed a normal control recovery.

This is a great simulation of a very dangerous aeroplane. The ‘copilot’ needs retraining.

The ‘stupid copilot’ trim is present occasionaly in the FS2 B-737 but the idiot only trims back less than half way and the plane remains controllable. Often seen on a go around.

Calling the sim auto-flight ‘copilot’ is very hard on actual copilots.

Do the Twist .... and tilt for me. The touch slider is good if you are on a moving vehicle as the jolting inertia and impulses drive the tilt mode accelerometers crazy.

It is a hard time to start mobile Ray, I could not do without beautiful Switzerland so I keep it on iOS FS2 ...... and PC and iOS original FS, and I have it on PC FS2 and it is also on Android Aerofly AF1 on my phone and another fast tablet8).

Don’t worry about my interfering copilot Jan, I poked him in the eyes!

Torsten will we get a profi mode later for the R-22? I had Aerofly 2019 with me earlier this afternoon and I didn’t show it to an experienced (R-22) helicopter pilot as easy mode is not going to impress people ‘in the know’.

I used Rz for the pedals axis. Try calibrating in windows first.

Before you fly, look down at your sim cockpit display virtual pedals and use the sim rudder trim to set the left virtual pedal a full virtual pedal bar width forward of the right pedal. Setup your trim in the normal control menu. I have num‘ 4 and 6 assigned for rudder trim. You can have the helicopter cyclic ballance force totally neutral as you reach lift off collective power.

You can adjust trim to avoid having your pedals clicking in and out of any central detent position.

If you do not setup the pedals you will have the same problem with any new ones.

Try post #39

Learning how to fly the R22

The scenery looks worse to me but the planes, the cockpit lighting and the atmospheric weather effects are good. Super detailed airports bore me to death anyway. I care about the view inside the cockpit not an outside jetway.

Anyone know how to set heading and altitude bugs for manual flight without the stupid co-pilot steering the plane all over the place?

I have just got iOS 12 and have no red lights in FS2.

iPad pro 9.7” 190+ GB free storage.

I tried tilt and finger touch sim plane flight control,

frame rates limited and unlimited,

MB-339 and A320,

Lausanne, Bern, Zurich and San Diego,

manual navigation and a navigation feature route on manual control,

Day, light cloud and light low visibility - and clear sky unlimited visibility.

If anything the scenery looks more PC like than before.

Thank You for becoming involved here Torsten and Jan. I'm sure that if you look at FS2 and iOS 12 it will be fixed. I'll take iOS 12 for Aerofly 2019 and wait for the FS2 fix.

Tablet storage has increased enormously since mobile FS over 5 years ago so I will take any 2019 scenery add-ons that are made available.

The Swiss scenery is still very popular and would be a colourful ballance to the California desert. I have over 190GB of free storage on my iPad pro and would also enthusiastically embrace much of the beautiful New York area scenery.

LATER

I got iOS 12 and 2019. There were no graphics issues with Aerofly FS2 with my iPad pro 9.7”. Aerofly 2019 seems OK, the R-22 seems to have no profi mode, it is really very, very easy to fly.