Posts by Overloaded

Using the HUD to help with attitude and 'rudder' trim for power changes, left for power increase, right for power reduction. Rudder/cyclic trim is on my keyboard and on my old Saitek AV8R's coolie hat switch. The twin throttles are great, left is throttle and right is collective.

Vorauen on the shore of Klontalersee approaching Mollis from the west.

My low end PC crashes out FS2 in VULKAN much more often with the R-22. I used to get crashes with ultra graphics in the Dash 8 approaching JFK airport but now with a medium-high mix in graphics the R-22 crashes out flying around Moffat Federal and approaching Oakland. I'm happy to have FS2 push the hardware to the limits.

G3258 2 core cpu overclocked to 4.2 GHz, GTX 950 2GB graphics card not overclocked.

Phillip I got the hundreds hand vanishing between 250 and 750 feet flying out of Mollis 1486 ft elevation. Mollis heliport now works!

For the tail rotor I am using a thumbwheel axis on my x52 throttle. Counterclockwise for left and clockwise for right. I have combat rudder pedals but they are evidently not centered for zero input. As soon at I start the R-22 it is almost spinning in a right hand circle and it take a lot of opposite rudder to stop the rotation but, then it is almost impossible to fly with it like that.

This is the dial where you thumb naturally falls when you grip the throttle so it works just fine for a work around.

Regards.

Ray

Add enough power to make it light on the skids and move the controls for feel, trim out the rudder force before and just after lifting and keep adjusting it during the flight. An ordinary joystick is fine if trim is used. I remember being told to trim all the time in real life, there was a coolie hat rocker on the cyclic lever of the Enstrom F28, don't remember the torque pedal trim control.

Pedals are much more powerful than a twist grip. I'll try to wire up old joystick port pedals into an arduino leonardo windows joystick emulator.

Great fun and thanks for not making it too easy.

My 'tuppence worth'.

Don't zoom in too tight, you need to see the changing outside orientation. Keep looking outside more than with a plane.

Use the HUD. It allows low speed pitch and roll adjustments to be kept inside 2 or 3 degrees. This makes 'profi' mode quite manageable. The flight path vector symbol also mirrors the string instrument.

Use rudder trim, I'm using a twist rudder at the minute and trimming out the force needed is much more pleasant.

Don't use any excess throttle/collective, reduce it as forward speed builds up.

Like learning to ride a bike, there will come a 'I've got it' moment. Keep practicing.

I regret not having to pay for this excellent new aircraft. I'd like to invest in more sophisticated planes, just a bit tired of add-on scenery purchases.

The ILS is now implemented in the MB339, has been added with the last major update.

You can change the navigation source in the HSI to NAV and then tune in the frequency on your right hand side. Change the course on the HSI and then you should have a working ILS

The DME seems to have stopped working in the current version, it used to show in the top left (I think (PC u/s)) of the the HSI-like navigation instrument.

The nav' instrument does not receive TACAN but does also work with VORs. In the absence of DME a position fix can be established by switching between suitably orientated VORs. An ILS glide slope indication can be matched with HEIGHT to give a range out. This would not work in real life as false glide slopes can be received above the intended beam.

Never did much on the F-15, the FS2 passing 5,000 feet forced landing clean best speeds for the F-18 seem to be about 230kt with a 20 degree descent gradient, the Aermacchi seems OK at about 190 and an 8.5 degree descent gradient. I have no idea if these performances are realistic, they seem a wee bit poor to me.

Short wings do not really suit serious forced landing attempts.

Getting stopped on a runway is quite satisfying.

I got a frozen screen in FS2 and smoke came out of my wired (mouse-socket) red light mouse. I think I'd be better off going for a USB mouse replacement.

Do gaming mice work properly in FS2? I have an ordinary 2D display and my interests are principally navigation and using the instrument panel equipment. Another eight or so instant access switches would be desirable.

I'd be grateful for any advice and pointers as I want my FS2 working again ASAP.

Thanks in Advance!

There is a NDB on the field so displaying the false VOR on a RMI or a nav display without a (left/right) course deviation indicator would be perfectly authentic.

The manual navaids in FS2 are quite good now, we just need the ADF needle to dip towards the low wing a bit in a bank and have audio morse code identification (the 737 has a tuning needle!) for it to become a really serious contender. Then there are all the other ways that the NDB gets 'bent' in the real world, night, mountains, wing, coastline, distant beacons on the same frequency, lightning ....

and shifting winds in the descent .....

and stratus clouds ....

Have you looked at the STAR plates Phil? They are as much fun as the approach plates and are especially impressive in the mountains, guiding you on the safe tracks and heights. Happy navigating.

It is not a VOR, it's a TACAN only transmitter intended for military aircraft, the only use to civilian aircraft is as a sort of stand-alone DME, not of much use to light aircraft but an accurate input for an Area Navigation system in larger planes. The DME is much more RNAV dependable than a VOR signal.

Only a VORTAC is worth showing on civilian charts. Another factor with charts is that VORs are being withdrawn at a high rate and FS2 will feature VORs that are not there anymore.

If you select the Las Vegas 1:500,000 chart in SkyVector or if you have real charts, the Nav Aid symbols are shown on the edge.

Tacan only, the distance measuring equipment (DME) element can be accessed by tuning in the published frequency, a VOR receiver cannot decode a tacan only transmission. FS2 might not reflect this, a working VOR would not be authentic. A VOR symbol is a hexagon, a VOR-DME is a hexagon inside a square and a VORTAC symbol has solid black outer edges.

I put a post in a while back about the size of the real life PAPIs at Miami, they can be seen in both Google Earth and in the actual Aerofly Southern Florida scenery but the PAPI images do not seem to have been recognised for what they are by the scenery design people and Aero' put undersized and miss-placed mini-PAPIs close to the runway edges. It is easy to get the runway layouts from sources such as SkyVector.

This is a link to the original post, Jan was kind enough to read it and consider the possibility of doing some PAPI adjustments at a future date. Grossly undersized PAPIs are hard to see from normal distances.

Sorry MIAMI PAPIs also.

Try looking at the excellent PPRuNE, they do not have any opinion restriction and are broad spectrum post tolerant, you will find tons of helpful and honest material there.

Airline theory and practice needs a huge amount of work, the mental commitment is about as important as the financial.