Posts by CavendishD

Ok Delfin,

I have absolutely no idea why the rudder is moving with the ailerons, as it doesn't do it in my sim and I can find nowhere in the options to turn it on or off.

My suggestion to you is that you go to Options/Controls and then re set all controls to default by clicking the joystick with the circular arrows around it in the top right hand corner. After that go through and re assign your controls as you want and then check to see if it still does it.

If when you move the your joystick in the controls page the rudder bar moves please re-assign the rudder to some other control or axis.

Hope this helps.

Jetpack, any ideas?

Cav

Hi Delfin,

I going to try and interpret what you are getting at here. If we compare those two videos you just posted the one big difference between the first (FS2) and second (FS1) in regards to what the aircraft is doing is that during the roll you have full rudder applied as well as aileron.

If this wasn't intentional then it would explain why the aircraft wobbles or as you say "jumps" when you roll. I've looked at the video carefuly and the rudder movement exactly matches the aileron movement so somehow the rudder is connected to your aileron input. See in the FS1 video that during your roll the rudder at the back of the aircraft doesn't move.

Have a look at the settings in your controls and see if the rudder is somehow bound to the aileron axis or some kind of auto-rudder is turned on.

Switching that off should allow you to roll nice and straight as in FS1 :D

Cav

I could only dream of a 980Ti! I'm using a GTX 670 in AFFS with CV1 and it is very, very nice. What improvement would I notice going to a 1070? Other than a thinner wallet? ;)

From a GTX 670 to 1070 would be a massive leap, absolutely huge. It would be difficult for me to quantify but some people are seeing VR improvements of up to 2x with the 1070 over a 970, although I don't think the difference is quite that big in AFFS but certainly in other VR titles. I certainly gained a lot of performance. I can now pretty much max the sim out and run the pixel ratio a 2x which looks amazing once down sampled onto a Rift.

While i'm sure you're system is excellent, a 980Ti is nowhere near a 10 series card when it comes to VR.

There are things that 10 series cards can do in VR that are simply impossible with a 9 series card. As more and more sims/games come to support VR properly the performance difference will become much more apparent as developers take advantage of the new VR architecture that 10 series cards allow.

It is however good to hear that AFFS runs so nicely for you in VR. Personally I noticed a MASSIVE improvement in VR performance from a 970 to a 1070 and that has been across the board with all VR applications. Less noticeable with just normal 2D gaming though.

This is just how the AFFS2 engine deals with shadows.. Things that are closer to the camera get high resolution shadows and once it gets a certain distance away from the camera the quality is stepped down a bit. This is one of the reasons AFFS2 runs so well is because of optimisations like this. In an airliner cockpit that distance can be close enough that its not even at the other side of the cockpit. Adjusting your shadow setting in graphics seems to affect how close this distance is.. The higher the setting the further out the high detail area gets pushed.

I'm not talking about flying at night... both of these scenarios were at 12 noon. The sky gets awfully black at 80k feet, and stars are quite visible, but its very much still daytime. You should pretty much always get that fuzzy glowing horizon during the day from that height because of all the scattering of the sunlight in what at that height is a thin strip of atmosphere... This is something that is visible from an airliner at 35k feet as well.

Hi all!

I've recently been doing some high altitude flights in the F18 and i've been noticing how bare and un-natural the sky at 30kfeet + looks. The top edge of the haze in the distance is very sharp and it doesn't fade nicely into the sky colour. Also even at 60k or 80k feet the sky seems to be all one colour rather than a nice fade to almost black directly above you. Also I noticed a lack of stars when you get up to that height.

One of the other sims that I play a lot is DCS which is clearly a different kind of sim, but it does do the high altitude sky very well. So over my lunch break today I decided that I would take some screenshots in both AFFS2 and DCS1.5 from the same heights and then photoshop the DCS sky into AFFS to show you how different it looks. I think you can agree that it certainly makes the rest of the graphics in AFFS2 really pop once the sky is more dynamic.

--- Rick click and hit "open image in tab" to see the full size images ---

Remember this post is not "AFFS2 Sucks! DCS is so much better!" I'm simply saying that down the line I would love to see the sky look somewhat like this up at altitude.

Here is a video of the sky in DCS to show you as well if you aren't familiar = https://youtu.be/01linz-wtSM?t=1m51s

Also here are a couple of IRL shots from high altitude.

SR71
    [Blocked Image: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0c/View_from_the_SR-71_Blackbird.jpg]

U2

Hi Guys

I'm actually editing together a AFFS2 video right now which I will post up here fairly shortly, the video is of me flying in VR, so its a shot of me sat there with the rift on and then a capture of the rift mirror window on the other side of the screen. As anybody with the rift will know, currently in AFFS2 the rift mirror window is the incorrect aspect ratio so the view is stretched significantly horizontally. This isn't so much of a problem for a video as I just scale the video horizontally by 66.6% in my video editing program and it looks about right. But what it does mean is that VR users can't really stream they're play because everything looks so warped. Would it be possible to resize the rift mirror window so view isn't so stretched so it would be more streamer friendly? I'd really like to be able to Twitch stream my VR play of AFFS2 but at the moment its just a bit too stretched.:(

There is even an interesting reading by one of the msfs dev.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/1…louds_fast_.php

Just for curiosity, it's old school programming. I am sure the aerofly devs know what to do.

Very interesting article... I found the bit at the end particularly interesting.

"We encountered a problem because the sprites rotated to face the camera, and during the in-cloud experience, the camera was so close to the sprite center that small movements in the camera position caused large rotations of the cloud sprite. This resulted in a "parting of the Red Sea" effect as sprites moved out of the way of the oncoming camera.

We locked the facing angle of the sprite when the camera came within half of the sprite radius. This removed the Red Sea effect but caused sprites to be seen edge-on if they locked and the camera then pivoted around them. Our solution was to detect the angle between the sprite's locked orientation and the vector to the camera, and to adjust the transparency of the sprite. The negative side effect is that the section of the cloud near the camera appears less opaque."

I agree though, It IS oldschool, but its quite effective and light on resources. As a predominantly VR user I'm not sure i would want to suffer the fps hit of real volumetric clouds tbh...

Yeah I think it would be better if the cloud billboards always face towards the aircraft rather than being always perpendicular to the view camera. I believe this is how FS-X does their clouds.. they always face the aircrafts position and pay no attention to the direction in which you are looking. If you're flying through the tops of clouds currently and move your head then you still get a lot of cloud movement related to changing of your head direction. Especially in VR.

I've drawn some super quick diagrams to explain how AFFS seems to do clouds compared to FSX.