Posts by CavendishD

Go to "Location" on the main menu... zoom out really far from the west of america... zoom in to Switzerland... select and airport to fly from as you normally would.

And yes.. before you ask it is completely possible to fly from the West coast america scenery to Switzerland... if you so wish..

Enjoy! ;)

Clouds are rendered as billboards. For true volumetric clouds we would require a lot more graphic resources which is currently not an option.

Yes but I'm not talking about converting to volumetric clouds.. I'm talking about keeping billboard clouds (as they work quite well) but just disconnecting the link between Z-axis camera rotation (your head tilting side to side... or you rolling the aircraft) and the cloud "billboards" rotating. FSX also does clouds as billboards (they aren't tied to head angle like AFFS but instead just point towards the camera location at all times) but the clouds don't rotate with z-axis camera rotation and it looks much better. Just slave the cloud Z rotation to the local world normal and it should work fine.

This has been raised with the dev team and they said to do it differently would impact performance.

eh?:confused:

You just align them with local gravity instead of tying them to rotation of the players 'camera'. I'm only talking specifically about the tilt axis so if you lean your head left and right..

I don't see how this would affect performance tbh, but I don't know the ins and outs of their engine, but it wouldn't be a problem in any game engine I've worked in.

Hi guys!

As I'm sure you know I love the VR implementation in AFFS2, It Rocks!:cool:

The other civilian sim I fly in VR is FS-X with FlyinsideFSX. Fl-FSX has a really nice feature of being able to zoom while in VR. A lot of people (mostly people who don't have VR headsets) think that Zoom inside VR is a really bad idea... (motion sickness etc) But I have no problem with it in FSX at all. It allows me to easily make out detailed gauges etc in the cockpit without having to lean super close and it doesn't feel un-natural once you get used to it. The fact is that current generation VR headsets do not have the kind of resolution you really need for reading all the gauges in a cockpit, so in my eyes zoom is a must have feature. If it makes you feel sick then you can decide not to use it. For a lot of us though as AFFS2 gets more serious and developed zoom in VR is going to be one of the features that will be needed imho.

The way it works in FI-FSX is that you bind a "Zoom +" and "Zoom -" button and then also a zoom toggle button.. so you can set your zoom level... and then all you need to do is press the zoom toggle button which then toggles between no zoom (default VR view) and your selected zoom level. This is a really nice way of doing it because it means you can find a sweet spot zoom level that works for whatever you want and then you can instantly switch between that and normal view. I think it works brilliantly.

This is an older video showing what zoom is like in FI-FSX, I'd love to see this in AFFS2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhDL0lmI7hI

I think the devs are concentrating on developing the engine itself and adding fundamental sim features to create a great base sim that 3rd party developers can create some very high quality aircraft for in the future. You have to be realistic about what level of fidelity on default aircraft can be achieved by such a small development team... PMDG probably have as many people working on a single cockpit as the entire AFFS2 dev team. And the included aircraft have never been the greatest in any sim, I mean find me a default FS-X aircraft with a working FMC... You can't. The default aircraft need to be good... but they don't need to be study level because 80% of the player base wont be wanting to fly like that. Building a base sim that attracts 3rd party developers is the smart option.

Crap for one person may be very important for many others. I myself believe that the interest of VR enthusiasts is very much responsible for the surge in sales of this sim recently, and without sales, where does the money come from to implement the minutia so important to those who think that VR stuff is "crap?"

Very well said.

Hey Guys,

I'm having a lot of fun in AFS2 with my Oculus rift currently. Its great fun!

I've noticed that while the aircraft have controls for things like navigation and landing lights, they don't seem to actually shine at the scenery, it makes landings and especially taxying in the dark really difficult! Is this something that is planning to be developed some more at some point?

Cheers
    C

It does need a menu option because next time the game updates steam will move those files back and you'll have to dig around and move them again. And there are a lot of people out there who don't want or know how to dig around in game files.

In the VR options there is already an option to turn the sun flare off but it turns it off completely not just the rings, everything! It would be good to have this as an intermediate step.

Yeah the FMs are some ways off all round I think. But I would rather the Devs spend time adding sim features like working lights, multiplayer, more complex weather instead of messing with the FMs to get them perfect right now.

Just my 2 cents

Fixed!

I decided to do some investigating and so I dug around in the files and managed to find the file for each aircraft that contains the camera perimeters.

For the King Air C90 you need to navigate to:

Steam\steamapps\common\Aerofly FS 2 Flight Simulator\aircraft\c90gtx

Inside that folder you'll find a file called c90gtx.tmd, first thing first is copy the file and paste it somewhere safe as a backup incase you completely break things - Always make a backup!!!

Once backed up open the original with your preferred text editor (mine is Notepad ++)

Find the area that says " // cameras start"

The first camera listed seems to be the follow camera but the two after that are the pilot and copilot.

<[string8][object][camera_head]
    <[string8][Name][CameraPilot]>
    <[string8][Body][Fuselage]>
    <[tmvector3d][R0][ 0.76 0.44 1.02 ]>
    <[tmvector3d][X0][ 0.99 0.0 -0.12 ]>
    <[float64][Kf][40.0]>
    <[float64][Df][1.00]>
    <[float64][Kt][0.04]>
    <[float64][Dt][0.02]>
    <[bool][InCockpit][true]>
    <[string8][Tags][cockpit pilot left]>
    >
    <[string8][Name][CameraCoPilot]>
    <[tmvector3d][R0][ 0.76 -0.44 1.02 ]>
    <[tmvector3d][X0][ 0.99 0.0 -0.12 ]>
    <[float64][Kf][40.0]>
    <[float64][Df][1.00]>
    <[float64][Kt][0.04]>
    <[float64][Dt][0.02]>
    <[string8][Tags][cockpit copilot right]>

I have bolded the two parameters that control the pitch of the camera... If you want to test this change it to something like 0.5 and you'll find that you will be staring at the ceiling lol.

Below you can see that I've changed them to 0 and now the view pitch is what it should be and feels MUCH more natural in the Oculus.

<[string8][Name][CameraPilot]>
    <[tmvector3d][R0][ 0.76 0.44 1.02 ]>
    <[tmvector3d][X0][ 0.99 0.0 0.0 ]>
    <[float64][Kf][40.0]>
    <[float64][Df][1.00]>
    <[float64][Kt][0.04]>
    <[float64][Dt][0.02]>
    <[string8][Tags][cockpit pilot left]>
    >
    <[string8][Name][CameraCoPilot]>
    <[tmvector3d][R0][ 0.76 -0.44 1.02 ]>
    <[tmvector3d][X0][ 0.99 0.0 0.0 ]>
    <[float64][Kf][40.0]>
    <[float64][Df][1.00]>
    <[float64][Kt][0.04]>
    <[float64][Dt][0.02]>
    <[string8][Tags][cockpit copilot right]>

The two bolded sections above are interesting because they control the camera location in space, so if you feel you want the center position of camera to be changed you can edit that as well.

It might be a good idea for the devs to somehow 0 the view pitch out in VR mode. No idea how to do that across the board though.

I'm now going to do that to all aircraft!

Hope it helps somebody!

Hey all, Remember me?!

I said I would be back once AFFS got Oculus support so here I am! I'm really pleased with the results so far it looks and flies great and its lovely and smoooooth in my Oculus even on high settings! I understand its early access but I'm really excited to see the development continue and I'm crossing my fingers for multiplayer and hopefully Pilot Edge support because it would be -Perfect- for Pilot Edge.

My only minor gripe is that in some aircraft my view seems to be somewhat tilted up. The worst offender for this seems to be the King Air C90. Its difficult to explain but It feels like the default 2D view has some built in down tilt in it so you can see more of the instrument panel and that is somehow translating to the 3D view as well. The horizon in the sim is higher than it is in real life. I feel like I'm leaning forwards in my chair... or like the whole aircraft its tilted nose up. Its very strange, and also difficult to describe. Its not a tracking issue with my oculus as other aircraft (extra 300 for instance) work fine and the menu screen is exactly where it should be. Is there any setup file I can edit to reset the pitch in these views to 0?

Thanks
    C