Posts by donka

I did a little more testing this morning on this. I have been unable to replicate the crash with vsync enabled but need to do some more testing to be certain. I was unable to replicate the crash with the Cessna with the 120fps limit in place but tried the A320 and it crashed after a couple minutes into the flight with same error. I then did some more testing with the F15 on the same scenery and it didn't crash this morning even though it was consistently crashing before. This probably muddies the water a little but I'll do some more testing this evening.

One intermittent thing I have noticed is the flashing light textures on aircraft were sometimes messed up but I didn't see that issue this morning so i wonder if there is a correlation there.

I was still seeing psychedelic textures on the pilot helmet in the F15, F18 and MB339 and some airport textures though - this seems to be very consistent with Vulkan on my hardware.

One other intermittent graphical issue is the CTRL+F1 data for fps etc. Sometimes this is always clear & legible, other times it starts that way but start to break up and become garbled. Other times it starts off as garbled. I'll need to test to see if this happens with vsync enabled.

None of these issues happen under OpenGL and I haven't seen similar issues with other apps/games that use Vulkan - not that I have many to test with.

Jeff, just tried a flight with Cessna around SF and no issues. Then tried one of the routes I normally get the issue with and no issues. Tried it a second time and still no issue. Noticed I had vsync enabled instead if limited to 120fps. Changed it to 120fps with no other changes and tried the route again and it crashed as usual.

I'll do some more testing to see if vsync is always successful or not.

Log file attached.

I see your error message is exactly the same as the one I have just posted. Only seems to affect Vulkan on custom scenery at the moment. Open GL doesn’t have the issue and aircraft choice doesn’t seem to have an impact. I’ll try some other iPacs sceneries and feedback.

I have also noticed some weird graphical glitches like the f15 and MB339 pilots head being multicoloured as well as some random coloured textures on some airport buildings. Are you seeing anything similar?

I'm experiencing a lot of crashes with the Vulkan driver on my set up. I have the Intel Hades Canyon with AMD Radeon Vega RX GPU. I can normally run 1440p with high settings on most sceneries at 120fps under Vulkan but it seems on a lot of custom scenery that I get a hard crash where the game locks up and I need to use task manager to kill AF2. I don't get these issues with OpenGL. I have updated to the latest AMD driver and also tried lowering settings to 1080p and Medium settings but the crashes continue - it just happens at a different time with different settings. Not sure the cause but I have included 2 log files - one when it crashed on UK scenery with default F15, the second when it crashed on Orbx Netherlands with F15.

Any ideas on this? I'll need to experiment more to see if it happens with default scenery but never noticed so far.

Are there any plans to introduce the ability to compress time or speed up the simulation so we can fly long haul routes without the need to sit in front of the computer for hours on end? I know this is in other flight sims but it seems like a perfect fit for Aerofly which lends itself well to picking up for quick flights as well as longer flights.

I'm thinking once up and in cruise, we could accelerate through the flight and go back to normal time when starting the descent.

Could you name the editor and the icon to click please?

I was using Affinity Photo for this but you should be able to do the same in Photoshop. Not sure on Gimp.

In Affinity Photo, you use File > New Stack. Select your images and load them.

On the stack panel on the right, you have the operator used - it defaults to Median but you can click this to change to another like Minimum which will only use the darkest pixels from the source images. Median or Minimum are probably the two operators you would want to use. The stack panel can also be expanded so you can select or deselect the original source images much like working with layers.

If happy with the result, simply save as a new PNG for use during Geoconvert process.

Check out from Step 08 in the following link for the method of object removal with Affinity Photo and stacking:

https://camerajabber.com/sponsored-how-…affinity-photo/

Did a quick search and photoshop has it's own stack mode too so should work the same.

Just an update on the editing process I was exploring for scenery. I was using my amateur background in image manipulation to try out image stacking of the imagery from 3 sources. The idea being that the average of each scene is used to form the final image. For those not familiar, this means if one source has clouds in one specific place and the others don't, these clouds will be removed from the final image leaving the consistent ground scenery in place. It also means, if there is a colour variation between the sources, this can be averaged out or you can opt to use the darker pixels from each image as a way of providing a more consistent final image. This is all done by simply loading the 3 sources into a capable image editor and effectively clicking an icon without the need for hours of manual editing. The trade off with this approach is the need to download and process 3 or more different sources in the first place.

I did this on a sample region yesterday and it is very effective for removing watermarks, clouds, cars on roads etc.

There is one caveat though and probably a deal breaker for a lot of situations and that is the variance within the tiles from a single source. While the approach is great for removing non consistent elements of an image, you are still effectively merging the content from multiple sources - warts and all. So if we have a nice consistent source which has artefacts like clouds etc and the other sources are free from artefacts but have patches of season variance, we will introduce these patches to the final image - albeit reduced in strength from the original source.

The take away from this experiment for me is that this method can be practical for some tricky sceneries but should be considered an alternative and not the norm when creating sceneries. It's probably best used as a quick and dirty method for providing 'clean' and relatively consistent imagery for large areas without the need for any editing. The perfectionist in me would prefer to devote the extra time to manual editing for a better end product where possible.

I agree on the living element of the sceneries. One of the things I love about other implementations are on final approach for example into an airport and you can see vehicle movement on the roads around the airport. Defintely something extra. It doesn't have to be a lot but even just a few random cars, buses or trucks makes a huge difference.