Posts by adak47

I'd indeed love the above simple GA aircraft being a Cub (or better an L4 if anybody is willing to design the characteristic canopy).

[Blocked Image: http://www.pionnair-ge.com/spip1/IMG/arton419.jpg]

My first 11.5 hrs of instruction were in the J-3 and PA-12, very similar types. Have you flown krzysk's Cub Special in FS 1? It handles very much like the J-3, and he is in the process of porting it over to FS 2. It looks as follows (go to 1:47 in the video):

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

However, your statement and this video reminds me (with laughter in my heart) on all this "useless" discussions at so many flight-sim forums - " what is real aviation/simulation and what not" - where "so called" serious flight-simmers would fiercely clash:

" This is not real aviation...there is no airport even no paved runway...you cannot land there, because you are not allowed to do this...you got no clearence from a tower, so you are not allowed to land on a river bank ;)...you only should land off runways in the case of emergency, etc...etc...etc... . "

That's what I start to really love about Aerofly FS 2 and its community: It's this kind of unorthodox and refreshing attitude they bring to light, and their new approach regarding flight simulation, without to lose grip on reality.

I agree. Some of the most fun I've ever had is doing things in the sim that I could never attempt in real life: flying under bridges, buzzing airport towers, landing on city streets and taxiing up to buildings, flying in unusual environments, etc. And yet all of this has to be realistic in terms of that the aircraft can really do -- otherwise it is just an arcade game...

Take a look on DCS World. Best VR integration i ever see in a simulation. Stable Multiplayer for realistic formation flights.

Missing multiplayer support is the reason why i fly in DCS and no longer in Aerofly....

That is an impressive simulator, at least visually:

How are accurate are the flight dynamics modeled?

I also like to think it could be a great way to fly with other users and give a tour of each persons cultivated home area.

That is what I would like, also. At least for now, it would be sufficient to limit the number of multi-players to just 2 flying in the same scenery area. Also, assume that your partner is flying an aircraft that you also have. Then all FS 2 would have to do is communicate the current latitude/longitude/altitude of your partner's aircraft, and render it in your out-the-window view, along with showing your own aircraft and the local scenery. All the resources needed for simulating the multiplayer flight are local to your own machine except for the three spatial coordinates updated every fraction of a second. Likewise, your partner is receiving the same information about your aircraft. With a little practice you should be able to do formation flights like this:

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

but with just two aircraft, not seven...

Although most of the F4U instrument gauges are functional, the fuel gauge seems to never change from 145 gallons. Are there any plans for IPACS to make fuel gauges functional, and to have the possibility of running out of fuel with an engine out? This would make X-country flying more interesting, especially with variable wind direction, velocity, and turbulence.

Never thought that there are such weirdos out there who are doing the same "crazy-things" I like to do most of the time in my flight sims

We are everywhere! LOL

I can't wait until this gets modeled in FS 2...

P.S. BTW -- that isn't me flying the Carbon Cub. I just found the video doing a search.

My dream for IPACS Switzerland DLC glacier landing :P....

My dream is to land on top of the buildings at Zurich Airport again, like I used to do in Aerofly FS 1:

Of course, it would help to have the Switzerland scenery for my Mac version of FS 2...

But you can see that krzysk's Cub Special is a nimble handling aircraft, and a joy to fly. That is why I don't just land on building tops in the video, but do a visual tour of all the landmarks in this scenery as well -- concluding with IPACS Aviation!

I find it strange that the airspeed tape is Ground Speed. Never seen that before. hmmm. :/:S

I agree, but really, the best solution is to fly in cockpit view and there is no ambiguity about what the airspeed indicator is measuring -- airspeed!

Of course, cockpit view covers a lot of that beautiful FS2 scenery, so I fly in fixed follow or chase plane view a lot just to get my fill of eye-candy...

if you have wind well then windspeed + airspeed roughly gives ground speed.

And to be a bit more precise, groundspeed = tailwind component + airspeed (corrected for altitude, instrument error, etc.). As the wind moves from a direct tailwind to a direct crosswind the tailwind component drops from windspeed to 0 (as a 1st approximation), and beyond that it becomes a headwind, which subtracts from airspeed to give groundspeed. You can get exact answers using the wind triangle taught to all pilots, or by using some vector algebra -- but don't ask me for details. It has been decades since I worked with that stuff for X-country flight planning. In the sim, I just take off and go! (I wish FS 2 aircraft could run out of fuel because then I would be motivated to do the old-fashioned flight planning...)

Sand bar landing in a Carbon Cub at 1:07

You would think a simulator that focuses on simulating aircraft specifically would have superior flight dynamics, but as Jan's comment reminds us, if you get the physics right everything else falls into place -- and you have a much more versatile simulator. Maybe krzysk can create a shuttle aircraft next...

Pan and zoom of the R22 at the Hoover Dam, Day and Night (1080p60 HD):

R22 Landing at the Hoover Dam (1080p60 HD):

UFO with LGM (1080p50 HD).

Screen shots:

The thumbnail screen shot used for the video:

Sunrise flight from Boulder City Muni, runway 33, to MC Carran, runway 25R. This 18.9 nm / 9 min flight was under "copilot" control from takeoff to touchdown. (The "copilot" kind of bungled the landing, but then again I've seen Mr. copilot grease them in...)

Nothing fancy here: just a fixed view back the whole way. No pan and zoom, alternative views, or aerobatics. Just a test of using the location and navigation features of FS 2 to program a flight.

Hi,

I've assigned keystrokes to turn aircraft lights on and off. Except for dimming or brightening the instrument/panel lights, none of the rest work for the F4U. The instrument / panel lights can be adjusted, but not separately. With the Cessna 172 I can get all the keystroke shortcuts to work as expected, and the instrument / panel lights can be independently controlled.

Are there any plans add light control to the F4U (strobe, beacon, landing, taxi , etc)?

TIA,

Adak