Posts by adak47

My today's evening flight. I wanted to try out one of Didier's alpine airports. Naiv as I am, I looked what is nearby and found Glarnischfirm.

Kai

Sweet looking aircraft. Reminds me of the DHC-1 I used to own, which with the help of a designer, got adapted to Aerofly FS:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Buzzing the Tower at Nellis AFB (1060p60 HD). The first part of this video is entirely in tower view; the second portion is a mix of tower, fly-by, and external views. Not my best flying -- I was fighting the gamepad the whole way. Also, unknown to me, I flew the entire sequence with 1 notch of flaps. :(

Despite my flub-ups, tower view gives really spectacular closeups of the Corsair and the sound of the engine is impressive as the F4U passes by...

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Screen shot from the video:

Oakland Bay Bridge Landing (1080p60 HD). Just having some fun landing on the east span of the Oakland Bay bridge. That is a long runway!

Knife Edge Through the Golden Gate: Caught Between the Wires (1080p60 HD). Just an experiment with making a pan and zoom video from the still image of an FS 2 replay recording. (If you don't like the music, click on the speaker icon to turn it off.)

Canary Islands

The screenshot of the P-38 if fabulous! I don't suppose you could take another one at 2560 x 1440 resolution for full screen display on a 27" monitor? I'd do it myself, but I don't have the scenery. Also, do you have scenery for the Aleutian Islands? My dad flew his P-38 out of Alexai Point on Attu during WWII:

So I'd like to get FS 2 screenshots of the P-38 flying the chain (Attu to Adak was a common flight).

Just a heads up -- on my iMac, if you quit FS 2.4.5 using the standard command-Q shortcut it may (does on my iMac) delete settings. Using the Exit button does not have this problem, of course.

Here are some of the things that change: the aircraft, location, and conditions are reset to their defaults, as are many of the control settings (although I haven't kept careful track of that). Likewise the graphics settings/quality and miscellaneous settings revert to default.

So every time my habitual tendency to use command-Q to quit any app on the Mac takes asserts itself and I forget to use the Exit button (which requires an additional button-press to quit the program), I have to go back and reset everything. So it would be nice if a future release could patch this bug.

Many thanks!

We've all heard of onboard systems good enough to fly an aircraft from one airport to another without human intervention. To see this capability in FS 2 is a real delight. In this case, from the takeoff at Moffett Federal airport to the landing at San Jose airport this flight was under autopilot/copilot control. This was done using the Navigation utility of Aerofly FS 2 to program the flight. I selected an ILS departure on runway 32R and an ILS approach (and landing) to runway 12R at San Jose. (The navigation setup is shown in the screenshot which follows the video.) Then I started the flight by pressing the copilot icon and then the navigation icon, which shows up only if you have programmed the flight in Navigation and clicked on the icon to load it into the aircraft's autopilot.

The green rectangular frames in the sky are navigation aids: when flying in manual mode (i.e., not using the autopilot) the pilot tries to fly through these frames all the way to the destination. However, the autopilot feels no such obligation: starting at 1:43 in the video, the Corsair cuts inside the path of the green frames and takes a short-cut to San Jose. It doesn't rejoin the programed route until 3:34, and from that point on flies through the green frames to touchdown.

My screen recording app dropped a few frames here and there, which causes both a visual and an auditory "blip" or discontinuity. And there is some stepping in the panning. Otherwise, the video quality is adequate. (Be sure to watch it in 1080p60 HD resolution if you use full screen mode.)

It was a two-week effort to find a flight with a navigation profile that produced a short enough flight (under 10 minutes) that the replay function did not truncate the take off. Here it is:

And here is the screenshot of the Navigation setup:

When I fly an autopilot flight -- takeoff to landing, inclusive -- from Marble Canyon to Page Municipal it works fine. But when I go back to review the flight with the replay function, the takeoff portion is excluded. The replay starts just after takeoff. If I view the replay before the flight has ended, say on final approach, the takeoff is there. But when I complete the landing, and go back to the beginning, the takeoff is truncated. Is there a limit to the length FS 2 will retain information for replay? I have searched the net for any indication of such a limit, but come up with nothing.

Here is the flight profile:

Fly-by Aerobatics in the F4U. I flew this in cockpit view, paused, and replayed the flight segment in fly-by mode for the entire sequence. All of the cuts and changes of viewpoint are controlled by FS 2. Incidentally, if you turn your volume up the distinctive sound of the F4U is very nicely captured by FS 2, including the "whistle" of the winglet intakes. (The engine volume in fly-by mode is somewhat anemic, hence the need to turn it up -- but be sure and turn it back down again to avoid blasting the speakers with other audio output.)

A 1080p60 HD video of an approach and landing at Grand Canyon West airport. The approach to runway 17 provides specular views of the west canyon, and the pause/replay functionality of FS 2 in conjunction with the panning controls allow for outstanding coverage of the scenery. My thanks to the IPACS team for this amazingly versatile simulator.

Some aerobatic practice in the spectacular Grand Canyon scenery of Aerofly FS 2:

Add your own aircraft and your own aerobatic routines to this Grand Canyon thread...

I'm old school, and would like to see several more versions of WWII classics: the Spitfire, Bf-109, A6M, P-40, P-47, P-51, F6F, and B-17. So far, only the F4U and P-38 are included (on the PC side, I suppose users can create aircraft like they did for FS 1; but I am referring to professionally rendered and modeled versions that would be In-Purchase add ons).