Posts by adak47

I agree with your wish list, including:

"My wish list for Santa Claus: Smoke for airshow displays, flight recorder to save and playback flights (and other things I don't mention... ok, multiplayer)"

What I would like to be able to do is save the flight path info used to replay a flight segment in Pause mode and then be able to retrieve it from within FS 2 and play it again at a later time. This should be trivial. The data file needed to replay the flight in FS 2 would not be huge, because you are not saving a literal recording of the screen but rather just the parameters needed to replay the flight (aircraft, scenery and location, the lat and long of the aircraft throughout the flight segment, and so on). Then FS 2 just regenerates the flight by loading the data, and proceeding just as it would in pause mode.

Now, if you want to post a YouTube video of the flight segment, then you need to make a video file of the flight. On the Mac QuickTime Player has the ability to record the screen as you replay the flight segment. It also allows you to do some some simple trimming and editing, and then save the result in a .mov file which uploads fine to Youtube. Depending on the length of the flight, this file can be fairly large. I made a 1080p60 HD recording from my 2560 by 1440 display that lasted one minute and 8 seconds:

Flying the Golden Gate in Aerofly FS 2

The file size was 359 MB. Longer videos can easily create files several GB in size. But the good news is the quality of the video is nearly identical to what you saw when you made the flight in FS 2.

I found screenshot folder at

~/Library/⁨⁩Containers⁩/com.aerofly.aerofly-fs-2-mac⁩/Data/Library⁩/Application Support/Aerofly FS 2⁩/screenshots⁩

but all images are black.

Same here. My spotlight search didn't find these because I searched for "screenshot..." and FS 2 uses a different convention for naming them. These files are huge (11 MB ) because they are in bmp format, not jpg. So I am glad your tip helped me locate them so I can delete the 19 images stored there. Thanks!

A video I made using Aerofly FS 2.4.5 to fly down the Golden Gate in the F4U Corsair:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I added music to the video (1/9/19).

Thank you for your posting. The screenshot function is indeed broken on Mac OS. We will try to fix this with the next update.

This was posted Feb. 8, 2018. The "next" update would be the Version 2.4.5 just released this month (Dec. 27, 2018 or so), and I was hoping the screenshot problem would be fixed. If so, I have not been able to find them anywhere. The sim pauses to take the screenshot, so something is going on -- but no screenshot files are created (as verified by a spotlight search failing to show any screenshot files with the same date I took it).

I have discovered the Grand Canyon scenery in FS 2, and it is spectacular! Also the Corsair (my favorite) seems to look better than ever. However, I find it hard to do clean aerobatics (like a spit-S done through the Golden Gate bridge) using a gamepad. I was hoping mouse flight control would be enabled in the new release, but apparently not.

Overall, the technical detail put into the scenery and flight dynamics is astounding, and I very much enjoy flying with this new sim. I wish the Switzerland (and other) scenery were available as In-App ad-ons, but again, the Apple store is only offering the sim itself, not any of the add-ons for it. I'm looking forward to those! :)

Because you need the mouse to push buttons, setup radio's, switch the lights off, etc. etc. etc. You can't do that AND control the plane at the same time.

Sure you can. Just set up a function key or keystroke that toggles between the flight and instrument control modes. Besides, what makes you think people are all that interested in pushing buttons and tuning radios? I don't need any of that to fly the Corsair and do everything I want, which is aerobatics and cross country flying using dead reckoning. Yeah, pretty Old School, I know. But the intimacy of connection with the flying is lost without the mouse. I have used joysticks, and they are not an improvement. Indeed, they are just another unnecessary device getting in my way.

Jan,

Ok, thanks for that information. If you add support for mouse control, cockpit switches can still be employed by putting the aircraft on autopilot, setting the switches/controls as desired, and then disengaging the autopilot. Even better, have a keyboard shortcut for entering mouse cockpit control mode where FS 2 automatically maintains current heading and climb, descend, or level flight. Then let the user press a shortcut to return to flight control using the mouse.

Admin,

Thank you for that info, all of which is good to hear. I don't mind paying for the add-ons and scenery -- they are easily worth it given the quality standards iPacs maintains. I do wish you would tweak FS 1 to keep playing smoothly under new Mac OS's (currently High Sierra), as I and others have invested an enormous amount of time in user added scenery and aircraft for that app, none of which ports over to FS 2. For example all the great work by Krzysztof Kaniewski is not accessible in FS 2. So keeping FS 1 going -- no major development work, just tweaks to keep it performing under new OS's -- should be a priority. Otherwise you are depriving us years of work by Mr. K and others who have developed user-created aircraft and scenery.

Also, please do add mouse support. I actually own a gamepad and my experience with that controller (and previous experience with joysticks) is why I prefer the mouse, especially for aerobatic flying -- my main interest. But even for cross country flying, the mouse has the advantage of allowing you to not only fly but to easily make trim adjustments without using clumsy keystroke combinations or click-and-drag operations on a visual trim controller. With the mouse, if pitch and bank are not holding constant you can just reposition the mouse to apply the necessary correction. So the mouse gives you flight control and trim control at the same time.

If you plan to use a mouse for flight control, FS 2 will not get the job done. A third party app might allow your mouse to present itself to FS 2 as a joystick, in which case that might be a solution. If so, I will post the info in this forum for the other people who dislike joystick controllers as much as I do. I can't believe the devs deactivated this FS 1 capability in FS 2...

I have just downloaded Aerofly FS 2 for the Macintosh, and discovered there is no way to set up the mouse as the controller for flying, as was possible in Aerofly FS. One forum said you could get the mouse to work by "binding" it to the keyboard, whatever that means (no explanation was given, and the term "bind" does not appear in the controller options offering under Settings).

In my other flight simulators, the mouse controller input can be interpreted as joystick controller input. Both are analog devices, so aileron and elevator inputs can be implemented the same way (rudder input uses keys). That is, moving the mouse forward is the same as pushing a joystick forward, and moving it back the same as pulling the joystick back. Moving the mouse left is the same as moving the joystick left, and moving it to the right the same as moving the joystick right. The app shouldn't care whether the X,Y inputs come from a mouse or a joystick because they are logically equivalent.

So why doesn't this work in Aerofly FS 2 for the Mac? And please don't say "Get a joystick, because it is a better experience" -- I've flown aerobatic aircraft with real stick and rudder controls and a joystick is a lame imitation of the real thing. (Possible exception: fly-by-wire fighter jets and the like, which I have no interest in flying.) The mouse is actually more natural as a controller, and takes up less real estate on your computer desk.

So does anyone know how I can get the mouse to work as a flight controller?

TIA,

Adak

That is a tight fit! But the 41 kt final speed (?) and the intentional ground loop kept you on the roof. For a more authentic experience maybe you should use K's Piper cub, which floats like a butterfly?

Use the Corsair to land on the Golden Gate!

Adak47