Posts by adak47

I tried the vertical cuban eights he featured in the P 38 and really enjoyed getting somewhere slightly near to the described procedure. Might we see you chucking a plane around in one of your future videos?

Yeah, some aerobatics would be nifty, especially around and under the Golden Gate bridge. I would do it myself except that Aerofly 2 is not out yet for the desktop version -- well enough the Mac OS. :(

The F4U Corsair up next. For those wondering what the purpose of these videos are, I'm just making sure there is a selection of content available on YouTube for Aerofly 2. I figure I may as well post the videos here as well for those that maybe haven't seen a particular aircraft.

Donka, your long videos with coverage of Aerofly 2 aircraft in various flight environments, and with extensive coverage of the external and internal (cockpit) views of the aircraft, are very greatly appreciated! I have created a new playlist with links to all Aerofly 2 (iPad/iPhone) videos:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=…qh-A0WmWIffNpFB

I will monitor this thread and update the playlist periodically. Also, people can just email the YouTube links to me at Adak47@comcast.net

It would also be good to fly between regions i.e. San Francisco and New York which I'm assuming will be one of the goals with the global flight model.

Or New York to Paris! And provide a new aircraft, Lindberg's "Spirit of St. Louis", so we can duplicate his transatlantic of 1927!

Adak47

Is the proposal that the great bulk of regular conventional posts support a streamlined directed top layer?

Human nature being what it is, I doubt that would be possible. That makes the list creator's job more difficult, but not impossible. He or she would simply have to mine the content of the thread to find on-topic suggestions, ideas, or other contributions. In most cases these could be incorporated in the initial post. Exceptions would be items that are duplications, or items which might be better combined or subsumed under an existing category. That is really up to the creator to work out. No doubt the other contributors to the thread would have ideas on how best to do this as well, and that would be another "layer" of input for the list creator to consider.

You know the old adage about jumping up and down with one leg, rubbing your stomach in circles with one hand, patting your head with the other, all while blowing bubbles with chewing gum? A little like that.

Ancient maps had a printed warning at the edges of the known world that said "Here be dragons." A little like that too.

Ok, I have convinced myself that integrative lists are not possible…

Next table/snug is similar but after a similar start the person on a high stool says "you are not following my thesis, could you become compliant or I will have to send you away".

There is nothing in what I have said on this topic that would support this interpretation. The only place the creator of the room exercises any influence at all is the updates to the initial post. Anyone can post anything they want, and will. If it actually contributes in some way to the intent of the list creator, then it might end up being incorporated into the initial post. That's it. End of story. As it is, the author of any thread can edit the initial post, or any post, any way he or she wants. As can you.

But as nobody else has spoken in favor of the integrative threads I have suggested (in response to issues raised by other members in this forum), I am prepared to abandon any effort on this matter. I really do have better things to do...

Some excellent threads end up with almost nothing to do with the original post. It must drive the originator nuts but it is productive.

Well, that is a good thing. And I can imagine the thread creator, or one of the members visiting the thread, might decide to start a new thread with a focus based on the one that "evolved" in the parent thread. Nothing wrong with that. The initial post in the new thread could link back to the one that spawned it so visitors could get the full back-story if they want. But probably that would be unnecessary, as the initial post would hopefully do a good job of summarizing the salient points and ideas in the old thread that spawned the new.

Sometimes textbook authors add enough new material to a chapter in a revision that it is necessary to break the material into two separate chapters, simply because that is a more effective way to present the expanded material. That is an argument for changing the chapter organization, not for avoiding writing in chapters in the first place (which is what I took your earlier post to mean).

Tying threads to rigid frameworks could ossify the forum, uncontrolled flexibility carries the danger of weirdness, repetition, diversion and misinformation but it is the originality, creativity and the shock of the new that drives forums into the unpredictable directions that make their monitoring rewarding, informative and hopefully interesting.

You don't think the creator of the list can incorporate new ideas and frameworks for the list? You don't give them much credit. And if the list is rigid and inflexible, it won't meet the needs of the forum members and will slowly sink into disuse, just as some threads do now. The risk is neither greater nor less this will occur with integrated (master) lists. Like user designed aircraft and scenery, they will only be as good as the people creating and maintaining them. Some will be good at it, some not so good.

There is absolutely nothing mandatory about these integrated lists. All the action is in what the list creator decides to do by way of editing and updating the initial post to reflect the ideas and contributions of the people posting to the thread. If people are not happy with how that is being done all they have to do is ignore the first post, and read the rest of the posts in the thread just as they do now. Or, alternatively, they can start a new thread and do it they way they want. If that way turns out to meet the needs of the members better, they will gravitate to that thread and away from the old, just as they are free to do right now. Evolution in action.

There is nothing -- and I emphasize nothing -- different about the integrated list other than what goes on in the first post.

Isn't that already made by virtue this is the iPhone/iPad forum?

I can imagine threads that apply to both with minor tweaking. Do we maintain duplicate copies in each forum with their own thread history? If so, how do we indicate that so that people reading posts in both forums know that this thread is the one customized (tweaked) for a specific platform? That is what I was thinking when specifying the device explicitly. But I think maybe you are right, and it probably isn't necessary.