Posts by RoyPettit

I am hoping one day the flight info will be incorporated so it can be access from within the simulation.

I've given up on trying to fly with VR hands. I just leave my Odyssey controllers off and use HOTAS+Mouse.

The ability to see the flight information banner in VR is one of the many things I've asked IPACS to add to their list of "change requests". I'm not sure how IPACS prioritizes this list, but perhaps somebody could use the survey feature of this forum to create a list of future improvements we could all vote on to help IPACS juggle their workload, with the understanding the none of us are complaining but just trying to help AFS2 become "best in class". :o)

Is it possible that you have multiple axes mapped to the throttle in AeroFly?

:thumbup: Good catch qwerty42! Indeed both the joystick slider and HOTAS controller were mapped to the throttle! Alles jetzt gute!

If you reset the mappings to default (or delete the controller control file as we were recently instructed to do), it comes up with both controllers mapped to the throttle. So it was user error after all! ^^

I know IPACS probably gets physically ill at the thought of adding another item to their To-DO list, but in the process of progressing from a "simcade" to a top-of-the-line professional simulator perhaps they could programmatically check for duplicate/overlapping mappings and pop up a warning message.

p.s. Solving this issue didn't fix the inability to fly the Pitts straight and level in knife-edge flight as I'd hoped.

Thanks Mick, will give it a go.

Please let us know how this goes. My preference is to wait for an official fix, but it appears this issue is not at the top of IPACS To-Do list, so we may need a temporary work-around. While I don't consider this issue a "show stopper", it is definitely an inconvenience, from my perspective, in that it prevents fully exploiting the FS2 experience. I wonder if this explains why I can't hold altitude in the Pitts in knife edge -- can't get to full throttle.

I'm not sure if this is a bug or a user error, but here's what's happening. This occurs on all aircraft.

Given:

+ My Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle has been calibrated in both Windows and FS2>Controller Setup>TWCS Throttle

+ The controller graphic in setup for the Throttle (Z axis of the controller) shows full movement of throttle off to full throttle correctly and linearly.

+ Sensitivity setting does not affect the problem.

+ Deleting gc-map.mcf to force rebuilding it doesn't change the symptoms.

+ The throttle works fine in Project Cars 2 and other games.

Problem/Issue:

Throttles go to full throttle when the throttle slider has only gone half way. The graphic/movement of the throttle goes from 0% to 100%, when the physical slider has only gone from 0% to 50%. Control of the aircraft throttle is diminished to only half of the actual throttle controller throw. Unable to fully exploit full throttle controller movement.

I can provide a video of the issue if need be.

I'm curious if other TM TWCS users are experiencing this issue.

:thumbup: Thanks! I'm learning more than I ever thought I'd need to know, but it keeps the aging synapses firing , right?

p.s. I'm looking to exploit my VR hardware with other types of sims, and am looking at a racing sim called "Project Cars 2". Absolutely stunning graphics. Both the car models and the racetracks are created by laser scanning. Perhaps this is a technology that could be exploited for FS2 models at some point in time. The future of VR definitely is looking good. I'm not sure if IPACS ever got a WMR headset for R&D for FS2 compatibility, but it appears in the racing sims I'm looking at that if it works with VIVE via SteamVR, it will also work with WMR via SteamVR, even though WMR is not called out as supported. Interestingly I'm seeing quite a few reviews where the author had a Rift or VIVE and switched over to WMR Odyssey for higher res and performance.

What with AI in software these days perhaps we'll see an option like "auto-framerate" on/off, where you can opt to have the software automatically reduce various quality settings (beginning with the least noticeable) to keep the frame rate at a given level. I'm not sure if a bit of this is currently in FS2, but I believe it is in other gaming software. WMR has a bit of auto-framerate built into it, but I still see a small degree of juddering in ORBX Monterey and Innsbruck in both VR and 2D/monitor when making higher rate turns, that is not there on regular IPACS sceneries. If AI framerate can be implemented, perhaps when in VR it could degrade the outside edges first as blurring of the peripheral outer 40% of the image already occurs due to the "sweet spot" nature of Fresnel lenses in HMD's.

I'm very happy I opted for the Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS system, it's clearly well designed and built while offering plenty of customisation.

I came to the same conclusion -- best bang for the buck for my kind of flying. 46 programmable controls at high resolution for $100.

Later...

p.s. I don't use the TM TARGET software.

Please pass on the PDF. Inevitably, getting reasonable control mapping sorted out is the largest part of developing a level of comfort with the new hardware.

I got your "Message From EGPF: Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS setup" in my email. I don't know how you sent that or how to reply to it, so will respond here. I wasn't quite sure if you meant you would pass on the offer because you wanted to start from scratch, or I should pass it along. :)

Attached are some files you might find useful - FS2 controller settings file, pdf file of my settings, blank pdf file for jotting down your settings. If you want to use my controller settings file as a starting point, got to \Documents\Aerofly FS 2\ and rename gc-map.mcf to xgc-map.mcf, then copy my file to that directory, and rename it from .txt to .mcf. When you start FS2 my settings should be there.

What would your favorite cameras be?

I have a thumb switch set to the three category views - Cockpit/Follow/Outside. Combined with zooming and mouse positioning can get pretty much any practical view I want. If you do make changes, please consider leaving this part "backwards compatible". Thanks.

p.s. I still think having view sub-windows is a better view solution than cycling through round-robin views.

"You can make some of the people happy some of the time..." :)

Is such a or similar flying vehicle in the planning? Of course, the much desired helicopter is also on my wish list.

Ditto your request. However, one thing I've come to appreciate since switching over to AFS2, and feel worthy of keeping in mind, is that of flight dynamics in the models. Like you , I was used to a plethora of aircraft choices in FSX. But thinking back on it I now realize the extent to which most of the planes flew the same in terms of flight dynamics. When I was invited to become a squadron member in DCS World is when I started to really appreciate the effort that goes into emulating flight dynamics of a given aircraft. Being easily distracted by bright objects, I enjoyed flying in FSX the plane I solo'd in (Aeronca Champ), and other AC's that caught my eye (like antique (b4 1946) and classic (1946-1970) aircraft). DCS required a commitment way more than I have time for, so research for a "recreational" flight simulator led me to AFS2. The thing about AFS2 is that a lot of work has gone into creating accurate flight dynamics. For example, when I told IPACS that the Extra 330 wouldn't hold altitude in knife edge, they checked with an Extra 300 pilot who said that's the way it really is!

The two big parts of developing an FS model are the artwork/looks/scale/visual details, and the flight dynamics (aerodynamic accuracy). Most of the developers of FSX aircraft focused mainly on the first part, because who can actually fly the given plane and collect the data points, or get test flights from real pilots, needed for accurate flight dynamics. In FSX a Rogallo Wing Ultra LIght flew like an Aeronca Champ flew like a Beechcraft Bonanza, ad-nauseum. So we need to keep in mind the Pettit-Epiphany -- oh, it should fly like the real plane! When IPACS does come out with an Ultra-Light, it will not only look, but feel like an Ultra-Light, and will be worth waiting for. I'll get down off my soapbox now. :)

p.s. The issue of 3rd party model AC developers has been discussed here, and may offer hope for a larger "stable". Hopefully they will spend the time to give us good flight dynamics that make for realistic and educational flights.

Maybe I'm thinking old-school 2D monitors here, but as I've brought up before, how about the ability to spawn a sub-window where you can place other views? I used this feature a lot in FSX ( small window in the corner with follow view), but with VR not sure how practical it is. Maybe it could be to one side where you turn your head to view it. Just what IPACS needs, something else for their To-Do list! ;)

First flight with traditional joystick on the left and VR controller for throttle and instrument changes !

This is good info -- thanks for sharing. I haven't had time to work on some kind of hybrid physical + VR controls thing, so whatever you are discovering will be useful to us. How are you getting around the desk-blocking throttle problem in the C172? By sitting way back before WMR Portal gets launched?

Looks like your "cockpit" would be suitable for Airbus heavies also. My son is an aeronautical engineer for Boeing and told me they went with a yoke on the 787 and probably anything future because that's what the pilots have requested in their surveys.

Later...

I think the kinds of planes you fly will dictate the kind of controller that works best. If most of the planes you fly have a yoke, then get that. If the majority of planes you plan to fly have a stick, then get that. Either choice will work on all planes. If you go VR keep in mind you are using the controller by "braille", so it has to be usable by muscle memory/feel. :)

p.s. Check out kenvention's setup (the VR Cockpit Desk link above). He is an example of the effort a lot of flight sim people have gone to create an in-home flight experience (did you know there are even 3-axis gravity chairs!). I'm going with a "creeping commitment" plan -- starting with just a joystick HOTAS arrangement. I'm anticipating that as VR develops, the need to build a cockpit in your home will diminish. But I may end up with more hardware on my desk at some point in time, including a yoke controller if I start flying those kinds of planes (for now I'm an SEL/Fighter/Glider kind of guy).

I recently went through the same controller quandary you are. I had a Logitech extreme 3D. A friend loaned me an X52 and a CH HOTAS stick, and I watched a lot of review videos. The X56 is very poorly thought of because of quality control issues. I ended up with the Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS bundle ($100). It has gobs of programmable control inputs, and high resolution sensors. The big negative is excessive stick pressure (spring tension higher even than the Logitech 3D), from which several mods have resulted -- including making your own spring out of coat hanger wire. The popular fix of compressing the spring with zip ties (shorter spring) results in a dead spot in the rudder axis, and movement "bumps" due to the buckles on the zip tie. Also, depending on where the buckles end up, 100% throw in all directions may not be available. I went to the trouble of grinding down the spring wire diameter to about a 50% reduction in tension This provided no negative side effects, but is laborious. Probably the quickest and easiest is using monofilament to compress the spring, bypassing the zip tie buckle issues, but because you are shortening the spring, the rudder dead spot remains. Another side effect of the spring shortening method is that pressure in all 360 degrees may not be "symmetrical". p.s. I also searched for just buying an alternate spring but could find nothing usable.

I went with a stick because I fly aerobatic and fighter planes, but if you are flying anything else (commercial airliners, or business planes, etc.) you would probably be happier with a control yoke.

Good Luck!