Posts by RoyPettit

I also agree FS2 is much more KISS than DCS (which has an insane learning curve and operating effort -- which is why I stopped using it). But some of the functionality of DCS and other sims are worth considering to make FS2 the "king of sims" (IMHO). :)

Great job on the initial release of "magic hands! :thumbup: Here's just some feedback/observations using a Windows Mixed Reality Samsung Odyssey HMD...

1. By deleting main.mcf I was able to get the hands to show up in the cockpit of the 172. However VR render scale factor was reset back to 1.0. The hands show up on the native view monitor when flying, but not in the menus.

2. Able to grasp the aircraft controls using the middle-finger button on the controller.

3. Able to set aircraft (AC) panel dials using pinch/trigger.

4. Unable to reach throttle due to desk in the way. Unable to find a way around this. Tried sitting way back from desk, recentering, starting while sitting way back (just puts me in back seat), etc.

5. In the menus the fingers may or may not activate the menu buttons. Works about 10% of the time after stabbing and/or inserting finger up to thumb base and/or clicking something on the controller.

6. Love the look and feel of the hands.

7. There is no "feel" (vibration?) in the controllers where the wiki help says there should be some.

8. Brakes on left touch-pad work, but all kinds of weird unpredictable things happen if accidently hit touch pads at other times.

Would like to see:

+ Some kind of "sensitivity" or "reach" adjustment for the hands so can reach throttle when sitting at desk.

+ A training video on using VR hands.

I will probably continue flying with a HOTAS controller, but just wanted to let you know it works (sorta) in WMR. At least can control cockpit panel stuff in VR.

Thanks for your efforts.

Jet-Pack, There are basically three reasons...

1. Backing up your settings in case of system crash, getting a new PC, needing to redo your settings because of an FS2 software change as recently happened, etc.

2. Sharing of controller setups among users. For example you upgrade from a Logitech Extreme to a Thrustmaster T16000 HOTAS. Another user has uploaded the configuration to the FS2 file sharing area, which you download and save yourself a bunch of work. Also, you learn what controls are needed for a given aircraft (standardizes/minimizes the learning curve).

3. Different setups for different aircraft -- aerobatic vs wide-body airline vs helicopter vs glider.

DCS World allows save/load controller configuration and it is used a lot for all of the above. In fact DCS saves each config with each plane, so the configuration you prefer for a given aircraft is automatically loaded. The sharing of configurations between users is used a lot.

Just when I promised myself I would never pester you guys by making another post, here I am doing it... :|

Background: I've a pilot's license (since 1970). I've attended many aerobatic airshows and understand what they are doing in the maneuvers. I have flown RC airplanes since 1970. I participated in RC "Pattern" contests (aerobatic flying). I can do knife edge flight with an aerobatic RC airplane (of which I've had many), or in Aerofly RC7.

Issue: When I try to do knife-edge flight with the Jungmeister or Extra 330 or Pitts S2, the nose drops below the horizon even with full throttle and full rudder. I can't hold the nose up for level knife-edge flight.

Suggestions?

By "auto-trim" I mean the program changes the trim on you without asking. Or am I confused on this? The impression I have from reading posts here is that FS2 sets up the trim for you under certain conditions. Yes, make the sim just like a real plane -- setting of trims is done by the pilot, and the next time you fly the plane the trims are still where you left them. But by having an on/off switch a student pilot could let the sim trim the plane, whereas an advanced pilot could do everything themself.

But back to the original issue -- having to re-trim the aircraft everytime you fly it. Apparently I'm odd-man-out on this, so forget this request.

Sorry for the confusion.

So you'd like to have a faster way to trim for level flight. But since you still want to take off at the beginning we can't just load your cruise trim setting, the aircraft would trimmed to far nose down to get airborne.

How about having an auto-trim on/off option in the settings, and save the airplane trim settings on exit, and let the user decide how they want to handle it (your way or theirs). I appreciate your going with the Apple philosophy and removing decision making from the user, but I guess that's why I have a PC -- user customization. :)

OK, maybe there's a better solution. Here's what's up. I'm trying to minimize the amount of time it takes to trim the plane for straight and level flight. I take off from location xyz, flaps up, get to desired altitude, set cruise throttle, etc. (I've centered the sticks in the settings>controls>calibration before starting the flight -- which I'm assuming is a one-time task for a given controller.) When I let go of the stick the aircraft (in this case C172) climbs (throttle is in middle of green area on RPM gauge) and and goes into a mild left turn. I turn on autopilot to get the plane straight and level, then turn it off to see which way the plane moves. Then I apply trim for the axis in question until I can go in and out of autopilot with pitch/roll/yaw change. This takes some time. I land, and exit the sim. Next session I have to trim for straight and level all over again.

I've got the controller set for about 10% up from low on sensitivity, and about 2% up from none on deadzone. I'm using a TM 16000 HOTAS system, which has very high resolution.

This process needs to be done on other aircraft, which may or may not have autopilot to assist, and may require a different pitch/roll/yaw trim to fly straight and level.

Other sims I've used remember the trim settings for a given plane, just like a real airplane would.

P.S. I would also prefer that FS2 not change trim settings for me for different flight conditions, like take-off, climb, landing, etc. I will take care of doing that, just as in a real airplane. Perhaps you could have an auto-trim on/off setting.

OK, thanks. Having used a plethora of forums over the last 20 years and never having had a post deleted, I was starting to take it personally. As a believer in "You can be part of the solution or part of the problem" I strive to make my posts "productive" for the other users. Good to know embedded links are not a good idea due to vulnerability.

Keep up the good work...

:)

I am willing to commision somebody to build an Aeronca 7AC Champ for AFS2 (as long as price is reasonable). You might also be able to sell it as an add-on through Steam (you would have all intellectual and copyright rights to it). Alternately, I would take a Piper J3 or SuperCub or any single engine tail-dragger trainer from pre-1960. Flight dynamics should be up to ASF2 standards.

Anybody willing to make a little extra spending money creating aircraft models for AFS2?

The upcoming FlyInside Flight SImulator will take in FSX aircraft, so it will have a plethora of models from the get-go. Any chance of there being a "converter" to create ASF2 models from FSX models?

Just an update to the attached review in which I said I was running at Medium graphics quality on a home-built PC. After upgrading some hardware I am now getting 60-90 FPS with Ultra graphics quality and Render Scale Factor at 1.5. Motion is smooth (no juddering). ORBX 3D scenery creates no degradation. SteamVR Performance Test gives the attached (previously was a little above midpoint in the yellow).

Upgraded Hardware: MB: MSI Z270 M3 Gaming; CPU: I5 7600K; GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6mb SuperClocked; Cooler: Cryorig C7.

......................................Overclocking: CPU: 4.5, Cache/Ring: 4.2, Mem: 2800, GPU provides 1962 clock / 4007 mem without any OC software.

.......................................CPU temp never exceeds 90C testing with Intel ETU, Passmark PT, and ASF2 VR.

.......................................HMD upgraded from Lenovo Explorer to Samsung Odyssey ($100 off).

The Steam setting to display FPS does not display it in the VR headset. Must remove hmd to see it on monitor. Then it isn't always there. Also is small and hard to read when it is there (mystery as to what makes it disappear). The AFS2 display FPS also does not work in the VR headset, and is so tiny on the monitor you can' read it.

Is there a 3rd party solution to display Frames Per Second in the VR headset, and large enough so that you can read it?

I'm doing some tuning in an effort to improve FPS in AFS2, and would like to be able to see the results.

Thanks!

IPACS,

Would it make much difference in how soon your To-Do list gets implemented if you had more programming staff? If it would, I (and possibly others -- there seem to be at least 1,000 users of this forum) would be willing to invest in your AFS2 development efforts through some kind of online funding service. This would be on the condition that the income from the fundraiser be used only for AFS2 program development, and not for office furnishings or other operating costs. Donations would be completely voluntary of course, with no minimum donation amount. The goal of this fundraiser would be to expedite the implementation of improvements to AFS2.

Just an idea! :)