Posts by RoyPettit

I uninstalled SteamVR, deleted everything in the Windows registry "steamvr", deleted anything on disks "steamvr", uninstalled WMR for SteamVR, rebooted, then reinstalled everything SteamVR, went through the 8-step procedure above, and it worked (could fly FS2 in WMR headset). Restored RAM speed to 2900mhz and retested. Everything worked as "normal". Can fly FS2 in WMR headset.

Cross off another day of my life.

:rolleyes:

I would focus on making sure SteamVR is at the latest version. I wouldn't uninstall Steam in general as it's likely not the problem.

What problems are you encountering here? Maybe we can help.

In order to launch FS2 in WMR mode RELIABLY from my desktop I have to do the following:

1. Reboot PC

2. Launch Steam

3. Choose Library

4. Select FS2

5. Select Play

6. Select use SteamVR

7. Wait for WMR, SteamVR, and FS2 to all get launched.

8. Put on my WMR headset and play.

FS2 then runs fine. Doing anything other than the above leads to a crash of FS2

Today, when I do step-7, FS2 gets launched not in VR mode. The WMR container does not get launched, the SteamVR container does not get launched. FS2 gets launched immediately. Sometimes my system hangs as FS2 scenery is being loaded. The only option is to turn off the PC.

Yesterday I bumped up the Memory overclocking from 2666 to 2900. Then I ran a bunch of exercise/burn-in type programs to make sure no probs, including Intel ETU and Passmark Burn-In and FS2 (but not in VR). I will go back to 2666 on the RAM and see what happens.

IPACS: Is there any way to terminate your requirement for SteamVR when using AFS2 with VR/WMR? I am discovering that 98% of my problems are actually related to SteamVR, and not AFS2. RIght now I can no longer run AFS2 in VR mode (worked fine yesterday). When I launch AFS2 from within the Steam envelope/environment as usual, it goes directly to FS2 in non-VR mode, then my system hangs and I have to reboot. Steam forgot I already have SteamVR installed, and re-installed it again today (not as an update). I'm going to have to spend more non-productive time trying to get FS2/VR working again. As I think back I realize that I've spent dozens of man hours fussing/hassling with Steam et-al. The FS2 part works great. If you could divorce from SteamVR, like X-plane, DCS World, and the upcoming Flyinside Flight Simulator, the end users would probably be much happier campers (spend more time flying). I know you'll probably say "Too much work", but please consider it. Maybe switch over to the Vulcan API? SteamVR is the Achilles Heel of AFS2/VR (from my perspective). :(

http://steamcommunity.com/app/434030/discussions/

However, you have the problem of a man with one watch knows what time it is, but a man with two is never sure. In that there's no practical way to merge both forums, watching both seems the only recourse. Whenever I post about AFS2, I actually post it only here, and then post a link to this post on the Steam AFS2 forum. A little more work, but greater awareness among the AFS2 community. This is by far "the mother of all AFS2 forums". Posting here will get you a timely and informative response.

Pre-Script: I know this forum is for AFS2, but it is becoming more and more married/related to VR, and getting the best experience from it.

In the attached document I talk about "sweet spot" in HMD's. That's the area where the image is relatively in focus. I estimate it to be about 50% of the total viewable image. Well, I've been doing some research on this issue, thinking it might be "the nature of the beast" with Fresnel lenses that are in VR and WMR headsets. I ran across this blurb from Oculus that pretty well explains the issue. The resolution is curved display panels. Not exactly a "just around the corner" solution. It would seem that my upgrading from Lenovo Explorer to Samsung Odyssey WMR headset to achieve more "sweet spot" would not be worth the doubling in cost of the headset.

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/disc…rfect-vr-optics

This video actually shows the real image difference between Lenovo Explorer and Samsung Odyssey (13:57 in). The comments are enlightening.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

OK, thanks!

I realized after posting this that the flight info banner would have to be floating if it was in VR. My mind hasn't fully made the paradigm shift from 2D monitors to VR headsets yet. Some kind of flight info box might be easier said than done. I guess the HUD is the way to go, but I find it hard to read and distracting when flying for sight-seeing. I guess all I'm asking for is a way to know, when in external views, if I'm flying straight and level, flaps position, direction of travel, climbing/descending, etc. Most of this is presented in the Flight Information banner. I guess it could be fixed at the top as now, and you would turn your head to look at it when needed (not floating).

Keep up the good work! :thumbup:

Redtail >> I've never had enough time to dedicate.

Time is exactly why I had to drop out of the DCS "squadron" I was in. No doubt that DCS is a mind blowing simulator (assuming you have a Ferrari of a PC). But the learning curve and setup time was prohibitive from my perspective (and I'm retired), Perhaps after using FS2 for a while and getting my hardware spec'd up to support FS2 + WMR, and can revisit DCS World in the future.

POWER + FLEXIBILITY = COMPLEXITY

Thanks for clarifying. 3480 X 2160 = 8,294K pixels, which never quite made sense to me as "4K". So it really should be called 4X?

A Samsung Odyssey WMR headset has 1440x1600 per eye (2880x1600 overall -- 4,608K pixels) so I guess that would be something like 2.2K, or 2.2X? :o)