Posts by RoyPettit

Thanks to all of you who provided input to this decision! :thumbup:

I've ordered the ThrustMaster TWCS throttle to pair with the TM16000 joystick. I wasted $15 by not ordering them together, but it's only money!

This gives a total of 9 axes, 30 buttons and two 8-way PoVs via two hands that can be left on the controllers. Now I need tons-o-practice to build up the muscle memory to exploit the functionality!

I'm also doing a "mod" to the joystick to reduce the spring tension.

Thanks again!

Very cool! You are right -- much of VR flying involves muscle memory (just like real). Zed suggested USB button boxes which I had already considered to expand the functionality of the TM16000 joystick. What you have done is along those lines, but better. I love your throttle setup. Even a starter switch! :thumbup:

Thanks to all who have responded.

A friend loaned me a Saito (now Logitech) X-52 (which he used on DCS World until getting a TM Warthog) and I found it way overkill for FS2, and difficult to use with the WMR headset on (too many switches/buttons/choices). That's why I went with the TM16000, which actually has braille buttons on it designed for VR use, and only 18 choices to memorize. I guess I'll hang in there with that and hope Magic Hands streamlines the VR experience.

P.S. I've used a ton of forums since getting my first Apple2 in 1978, and you guys are great. Rapid responses and good answers. :thumbup:

The Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS I purchased to use with FS2 isn't working out as well as I'd hoped for flying in VR/WMR. Since WMR controllers don't work in FS2 yet, pretty much everything you need to do while in VR has to be such that you can do it by "braille". The TM16000 (sans HOTAS throttle) has 18 programmable functions, which should be enough in most situations. But I'm wondering if I should add the HOTAS throttle option (which adds more buttons), or go with something like the Logitech Yoke system. I prefer to fly single engine aircraft that use a sick. I use trims for different conditions (like in a real airplane -- of which I have a pilot's license) -- cruise, slow flying, landings, etc. There seems to be a need for pretty much the following functionality at your fingertips while in VR mode: A/E/R trims, flaps, gear, brakes, internal views, follow views, external views, autopilot on/off, HUD. Optional: pause, landmarks.

What are you VR flyers finding is the best way for controlling things while "under the VR hood"?

Thanks.

p.s. Yes, I know about the TM HOTAS Warthog controller, but need to keep things within a "working man" budget. :o)

Are the trims settings saved, and are they global (one setting for all planes and locations), or are the trim settings saved with each aircraft?

I seem to be experiencing a situation where I get my trims perfect by switching in and out of autopilot, and then when I come back the next day I need to mess with trims again.

Thanks.

I was a member of a DCS World squadron for a while (OregonHogWars) but I discovered that the learning curve for the A-10's they fly was more than I have time for. Also, I wanted to go with VR/WMR but my hardware won't support DCS+VR in a practical way. I tried to convince them to switch over to the FA-18 which I would rather spend time learning (being ex-Navy) than the A-10, but the F-18 really isn't officially release for DCS yet.

I would like to be able to spawn a window, be able to size and position it, and put any view in it. For example if you normally fly in cockpit view, be able to have a follow/chase or side view in a window in the upper right during landings. This functionality is available in FSX and is something I really miss having now switched over to FS2. This really helps when practicing landings. IT SHOULD WORK IN VR.

No discussions regarding a FS 3 should begin as we are still updating FS 2.

We haven't even mentioned anything about an FS 3 yet so way too early for this.

I don't want to begin spreading false rumors and assumptions here.

OK, I understand. I titled the thread wrong. It should have been something like "Suggestions". What is the best way to submit suggestions or requests for improvements? Like, the ability to search locations. Is there special thread for doing this, or should we use the contact form, or create a seperate thread for each suggestion, or ...? Thanks!

Attached is my first draft of a keyboard reference guide for the default settings. If there is anything missing let me know.

I am working my way up the following ways of controlling AFS2, and at some point no longer need this keyboard reference, but it's useful when starting off the learning process.

1. Joystick + Keyboard

2. Joystick programmed for both of step-1 (dependent upon joystick functionality)

3. Step-2 + VR controls

4. VR controls only (future) [personal preference as to going this far]

While I have used FSX since it's very first version, and have used DCS World and played around with X-Plane, and have built many a PC so understand hardware issues, AFS2 is new for me. I have committed to using it going forward (my WMR headset and TM 16000 controller arrives today). So I have the following questions aimed at minimizing my learning curve with AFS2. I have read the wiki users guide twice and gone through the Flight School. I have installed the free Southwestern, Colorado, and Utah sceneries (from Steam).

+ There is no way to search or list locations -- correct?

+ The photo quality with 3D structures Swiss scenery is not in the Steam version -- correct? I find airports in the US, but not in Europe.

+ Is there a collection of tutorial videos for learning ASF2 somewhere? I have searched YouTube and found found vids on a few specific things but little in the way of instructional vids for how best to learn and exploit the product. For example: how to setup and use VR/WMR, "Getting Started", etc.

Thanks!