Posts by Jay 737

Nice looking design. That CL is getting close to a Brunner CLS-E which I think of as gold standard.

OK, I see I could use a servo to hold a particular position which would provide resistance against movement, but wouldn't you want the resistance to vary according to flight characteristics? Looking at the CLS-E info it says:

• Simulated effects: engine, ground, turbulence, real trim, autopilot, stall etc.
    • Dynamic pressure dependent force profile

I could see how engine vibration could be applied - you can get that via SimTools once they upgrade the plugin for simvibe, possibly "ground" as well. As for dynamic pressure dependent profiles I don't know how that could be done without varying the strength of the motor via some analogue voltage control.

Pitch, roll, roll-per-sec and pitch-per-sec are in SimTools already.

Of course, you'll need "few" lines of code to decide what kind of effect, direction and strength is to be send to your motors. This should be done with some kind of control board, H-bridge and PWM. I still don't understand half of what's needed to achieve this but there are some clever people willing to help though;)

I'll have a closer look to the SimTools. Perhaps this might be an option.

ps.

Do you create resistance by having a motor push in the direction against which you are turning/pitching? Doesn't that just burn it out? And if you didn't make the turn doesn't it mean the motor would move the yoke to a different position by itself. I understand motion platforms and have built a G-Seat but FFB I just don't get yet.

The idea I'm working on is to take an existing yoke and convert it to FFB by installing 2 servos to provide the resistance. I'm running SimTools 2.2 and can code the Arduino so I can get the AFS2 forces to the yoke.

Small light bulb moment as I type - I set the servos to hold the existing position and therefore resist movement, but somehow detect small movements in the intended direction and allow some movement after a little effort.

that's correct.

For example basic spring effect will try to maintain certain position defined by flight conditions. When you push the stick out, motors kick in with linear load farther you push. Strangely enough they won't burn or even get warm (talking about MSFFB stick).

If you don't make the turn, the yoke will follow which is the good thing (when you trim the aircraft or engage AP the yoke will maintain desired "center").

I was always wondering if SimTools can be any useful for FFB application though.

Your "light-bulb moment" is very similar to what I'm trying to achieve with OS-CL (see my web, very bottom of the page) https://vrflightsim.wixsite.com/mysite/in-progress

BU0836A uses a matrix wiring system but will do the same job in terms of encoders.

BU0836X is more expensive, allows for very easy integration (thanks to the clip-rail) and supports wider range of inputs.

The reason why it works so well, is quite simple. AFS2 allows you to assign key strokes to +/- adjustments of various instruments!

Bodnar's joystick boards support "rotary to key" emulation via additional plugin so all you need to do is find the best timing for your particular encoders..

This is my setup for example:

The Pulse Width makes all the difference..

Hey

I'm not sure which solution you referring to (Saitek throttle scroll wheel or rotary encoders on Leo Bodnar's board) ?

Anyhow I have to say that AFS2 has the best response with the rotaries! None of the other sims can do this with such natural feel.

Regarding the FFB yoke.

V2 is progressing really well so I've launched a little "campaign" to find programmer capable of writing ASF2-FFB plugin.

And just to re-insure anybody else following the SuperCub development, I'm still on it boys;) (slow but steady)

Hey boys

I tried the beta last night and here's couple of things I would like to mention.

Played in VR (Rift)

Sun Effect

the flare around the sun seems to "react" with left eye only. When there is an obstacle (like window frame) between view point and the sun, the flare around the sun disappears as soon as the left eye gets behind the obstacle regardless the fact that the right eye is still looking directly to the sun.

It also rotates as you tilt your head which is very unnatural.

Mouse cursor

when moving the cursor around the cockpit, I noticed that I couldn't really focus on it as a single point. Somehow the stereo effect of the cursor isn't aligned properly. mostly noticeable when close to my face (<0.5m).

Grab points

I only flew 737 so far, don't know if this affect the other aircraft too but the grab points for mouse control seems to be misaligned. Maybe it has something to do with the issue above.

Not all bad though

I love the new features, great job gang! Most of all the rotary encoder input for AP is working again 8|^^ Yey.

Talking about AP, I also wanna suggest a fix for hardware trim wheel. This was always an issue no matter what flight sim.

When you have hardware trim wheel (e.g. saitek) assigned to the trim axes and engage the autopilot, fluctuations of the wheel's axis is constantly sending input data, colliding with the AP's attempts to balance the aircraft.

The virtual trim wheel is then just oscillating on the spot as a result.

Could you perhaps disable the hardware axis while the AP is engaged?

Once more, great job guys.

Very much looking forward to your first chopper:love:

Thanks Guys, I missed you too:*

I can confirm, the CC was reopened last weekend. However ,the development won't be "full time rush" as it was at the beginning of the project. I still need to cope with my growing carpentry clientele but I can assure you that I do have dedicated time for the project now..

Please be a little patient and stay tuned.

Update is on it's way;)

Looks interesting. Its great that the 3rd DOF is heave. I'd prefer that to yaw which mine has. Mine uses the same wiper motors for power. They're small but pretty strong. The main concern I have about mine is that I can't get it smooth enough, which I think is down to gearing quality/slack and possibly some glitches with the SimTools algorithms which I'm discussing with the developer. With yaw especially you don't want gearing slack or its quite jerky and unnatural.

Drivers don't notice jerkiness because movements are more abrupt. I would try to get a hands on flying not driving test.

I think your rig has 250W motors (correct me if I'm wrong) while SK3 uses 400W. Anyway it looks like a really good product and the heave is one great feature for flight simming. I'm seriously considering to give it a go but I would love to hear some feedback from existing users first or demo ride the actual platform my self.

The only one step up is the FaseTech 3 or 4 DOF but that is nearly double the price..

I don't know what to say fellas..

well I do actually, thank you very much!! :)

This is yet another proof, how great and supportive our community really is. I love it!

To be honest, the thing with kickstarter has crossed my mind too. Although I would love to be making planes for living, I can not legally commercialize our Carbon Cub project due to the nature of current licence associated with used software. The Cub is going to be 100% free for everybody and if all goes well, I will launch proper kickstarter campaign for full time AFS2 aircraft development, later this year:S

With all that said, if you guys still feel like supporting the cause, you can do so over at VR FlightSim, which is an open source cockpit building fun project I run as well. It will most certainly help to roll the cart back on the track;)

Hey guys

as some of you may have noticed there wasn't any update on my progress lately. This was due to unfortunate event where I got set back by few thousands of pounds, trying to earn few hundred;(

As I started new contracted job in a new town I recently moved into, most of my tools have been stolen.

In an effort to slow down a bit by leaving big city, I need to work twice as much now, to make up for the loss:cursing:

I'm sorry to make this announcement but Carbon Cub is now officially on hold, until things get better..

I have no words. What kind of low life thief takes another man livelihood?

Well, that's the unique way you learn your lessons I guess:/