Posts by Tailwheel

The issue doesn't seem to be so much with hardware, but rather with software support. As far as I can see, from several YouTube videos and other posts on the web, Aerofly FS (v1) supported the use of any headtracker that utilised the Freetrack 2.0 protocol, e.g. FacetrackNoIR. However, Aerofly FS 2 doesn't seem to support it in the same way.

Is it possible in any way to add to this mod that when you click on the sockets for the pilot's headphones that the engine sound could be reduced and muffled somewhat. This is a feature on an FSX aircraft I have and nicely simulates wearing headphones and cutting out aircraft engine noise.

I'm having fun flying around the southwest of the U.S. just spotting stuff. So, I thought I'd start a thread for pictures of some of the areas that I think could do with some more detail (i.e. placement of static models etc.)

Feel free to add your own suggestions!

To kick things off, how about some static aircraft in the Tucson airplane graveyards...

Uber-hardware isn't totally necessary to get good performance out of Aerofly though. As a comparison, I get a rock solid 60fps (vsync on) and 140+fps (vsync off) flying around San Francisco, Ultra settings and Culumus/Cirrus cloud density set to max.

My Spec:

Intel i5-3570K o/c 4.3GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia 680GTX

My PC is at least three years old and gives more than acceptable performance.

With regard to ATC, I'm a big fan of how it was done in VoxATC for FSX. Talking to the sim with your own voice was really immersive and the problem of a user not knowing what radio telephony terms to use was handled by a text box of what to say appearing on the screen. If you were well versed in radio comms, then it could be turned off and not appear.

I also notice that there is some stuttering introduced when cumulus clouds are enabled, especially when banking. With culumus clouds set to miniumum (i.e. off) the sim is completely smooth. Some optimisation with regards to cloud depiction may be required in future updates I suppose.

EDIT: I've updated this thread with a new revision of my alternative/replacement sun flare texture that now includes FIVE variants!

Realistic Sunflare Texture Pack for Aerofly FS 2 Flight Simulator
    v1.0 by Tailwheel, 5 September 2016

OVERVIEW
    Like many Aerofly FS 2 users, I don't really like the default lens flare effect in the simulator and have disabled it using the method outlined in this thread: http://www.ipacs.de/forum/showthre…n-camera-effect

Using the above method leaves the user with a single 'flare' texture from the sun ('sb_flare00_color.ttx'). I have put together a package of 5 FREEWARE texture replacements for this default file providing a few variations of the effect (refer to the images below and located in each folder inside the zip file).

DOWNLOAD
    Sunflares_byTailwheel.zip

INSTALLATION

1. Unzip the file you downloaded ('sunflares.zip'). Inside you will find this readme.txt file, and 5 folders ('Realistic 01', 'Realistic 02', etc.) In each folder is a .jpg image showing the specific flare effect in Aerofly FS 2 and a replacement texture file 'sb_flare00_color.ttx'.

2. IMPORTANT! - BACKUP the original 'sb_flare00_color.ttx' from your '...\Aerofly FS 2 Flight Simulator\texture' folder and keep it somewhere safe.

3. Choose the flare effect you prefer and copy the 'sb_flare00_color.ttx' from that folder and paste it into your '...\Aerofly FS 2 Flight Simulator\texture' folder, overwriting the original file (which you should have just backed up!).

4. Voila! A new sun flare effect in Aerofly FS 2.

UNINSTALLATION
    1. If you want to go back to the original effect, just copy the original 'sb_flare00_color.ttx' from your backup into your '...\Aerofly FS 2 Flight
    Simulator\texture' folder, overwriting the newer file.

-----

I hope you get some pleasure out of using these textures and it enhances your flight simming experience. Comments, thoughts and suggestions always welcome!

//Tailwheel

REFERENCE IMAGES

REALISTIC SUNFLARE 01

REALISTIC SUNFLARE 02

REALISTIC SUNFLARE 03

REALISTIC SUNFLARE 04

REALISTIC SUNFLARE 05