Posts by Spit40

I'm having quite a lot of trouble with the controllers for my Odyssey. They keep dropping out. I read its probably a bluetooth issue but not fixed yet. Also pressing the thumbsticks to launch steam is a bit clunky. I can't find a way to remap that though. One thing i tried was to map a joystick button to shift-tab which is the keyboard method of launching steam. No luck there either- it just ignores any keyboard method of launching steam.

All this so i can run ovr drop or find a way to see some flight notes i prepare in advance. What a shame that all this had just become so very easy in my Rift.

A new year brought inspiration. I went to device manager, clicked on bluetooth and tried "update driver" - controllers are now working reliably.

I'm having quite a lot of trouble with the controllers for my Odyssey. They keep dropping out. I read its probably a bluetooth issue but not fixed yet. Also pressing the thumbsticks to launch steam is a bit clunky. I can't find a way to remap that though. One thing i tried was to map a joystick button to shift-tab which is the keyboard method of launching steam. No luck there either- it just ignores any keyboard method of launching steam.

All this so i can run ovr drop or find a way to see some flight notes i prepare in advance. What a shame that all this had just become so very easy in my Rift.

I see the odyssey is still selling for only fractionally more than the rift. With this extra resolution it really ought to be the #1 choice for any flight sim fans choosing to go VR for the first time. I also like the fact you don't need to mess around with base stations. Sure the tracking might not be as good as rift/vive but i'm not bothered about gaming and i'm sure i'm not the only one.

Big improvement over Rift

I finally got round to setting up my Odyssey today. After a few niggles (I don't have Bluetooth on my PC, but managed to use an Xbox controller as the control device) I am very pleased with the difference in image quality. The image seems to be more vivid as well as more detailed. I have WMR renderscalefactor at 2.0 but can only manage steam super sampling of 150% and AFS2 super sampling at 1.5. Normal scenery is pretty reasonable with that but I struggle in Netherlands TrueEarth. I switched on the steam frame rate display and the 11.1 ms (=90hz) target was being missed constantly. Flying around Rotterdam I was often around 17 to 18 ms with a fair bit of jitter. I am not sure if I have motion reprojection or any of the other alternate frame pseudo generation wizardry tools enabled. Where do i check this?

I'm tempted to switch to 60hz and see if it will hold that.

I was surprised by the Navigraph survey that Aerofly FS2 has had so little penetration into the flight sim market,especially when you look at the percentage of people flying in VR with P3D and Xplane. Personally I can't hack flying in VR in P3D anymore. The difference between P3D and Aerofly is chalk and cheese. I love low and slow flying in VR in Aerofly and although I'm currently struggling with the R22 I love it. I would hate to see Aerofly fail or simply not grow. Not getting true earth GB will be a disappointment and I think will set Aerofly back. Do you think we could crowd fund for ORBX for the necessary conversion? Also all of those people currently flying in VR in. other flight sims how can we convince them to give Aerofly a go?

Perhaps FS2's future is tied to the growth of VR? I only fly VR and i too can't put up with VR in any other sim. The Pimax 5k will soon be shipping in volume and though it works fine on FS2 we hear, i'm sure it will grind to a halt on legacy sim architectures. Outside of VR i just don't think the slick experience of FS2 is enoigh to pull people across from other sims in any volume. Fortunately VR growth from 2017 -> 2018 was a substantial % so lets hope that rate continues in 2019. If only IPACS had plans to grow their development capacity to respond.

The throttle is governed and also has a correlator.

Throttle control is absolutely a factor in real world training with the R-22. Governor off training is required to pass a PPL checkride. It is also not possible to practice autorotations without throttle control.

Great! Autorotation is a new one on me. Sounds like a nice challenge.

Am I right in thinking that the R22 throttle is virtually never used as all normal flying is done with the governor on and auto-throttle? If that's the case why make the comfy grip handle of the collective be the throttle? Won't it move with your hand as a distraction when you simply want to raise/lower? Surely have it somewhere out of the way?

The reason I ask is that I'm about to modify my home made collective to add a twist grip throttle but I'm wondering if its worth it. Am I giving myself a task/challenge that no pilots have in real life?

Inspiring work Thomas and Phil. How do you prevent the arm from dropping? Do you use friction, a counterweight, springs/bungee cord or other means?

As an alternative to using the boat fitting tube grip for the centre of the rotating hinge, a fire door hinge might work. They have a smooth ball bearing motion and the screw hole fittings would make fitting an arm to a base quite simple, a gap separated pair of them would be very resistant to lateral wobble not that it would be very important.

Friction does the job of keeping the arm where you want it. Tighten or loosen the nut to get the resistance you want. No lateral wobble to speak of. It feels very rugged and robust. Yes, this does look interesting but placement of the potentiometer would be trickier.

Inspired, now I feel like I must channel my inner Da Vinci and give it a try.

i just added more links to the exact parts if you fancied trying my version. You'll also need to be able to solder and drill steel to open out the hole in the hinge bracket, but there's no need for anyone to be daunted by the electronics side of it. Its virtually lego.

Snap!

I just finished my collective (twist throttle to come later and a bit of tidying up of wires). I wanted something more robust but it has a lot in common with yours.

• Bike post & grip - same sort of price
    • Pair of 3:1 steel gears £12 ebay (small gear 6mm bore, large gear 8mm)
    • 10k potentiometer £2 ebay
    • Piece of scrap steel/ wood would do
    • M8 bolt £1
    • Tube grip/hinge - £3.55 ebay
    • Leo bodnar joystick board - £24 - Leo Bodnar
    • Jumper wire £1 amazon 0.1" 3 pin

About £50. Nice and rugged, and as I said I have an add on worked out in my head to make the grip into a twist throttle for about another £10.

it would be great to know how each of 1-4 interacted with each other