Posts by Spit40

Spit40 ,

I eventually reach the point in my insanity to try to create a couple of scripts to speed up some of the work I do around creating airports. Can I ask you a couple of dumb questions? I've installed the tcl shell and can do the hello world example, so at least it did not just explode, which is unusual when I first try something.

However, to get the 'ac3d list', I see on the forum that there is references to doing it directly in the tclsh or telnet? How do I "connect" to ac3d to execute 'ac3d' commands interactivly? I assume with your airfield generator you would have to do something like that? Any help would be much appreciated!

--coffeecup

Did you try the "Select All" example I posted at the start? See how prefixing the AC3D command with "AC3D" is all you need. The instruction goes inside quotes, but that's rather a limited script, so in the quotes put something like "myProc" then define a TCL procedure in your TCL file like this:

proc myProc {} {

ac3d select_all

}

Here's a script to rename an object to something else

proc doRename {} {

ac3d set_select_mode 1 ;# 0=group, 1=object

ac3d select_by_name "my_obj_name"

ac3d set_current_object_name "different_obj_name"

}

Now put this in your TCL file

.mbar.tools.menu add command -label "Rename an Object" -command "doRename" -underline 0

It turns out its very hard to "Create" a runway using script, there is no TCL to draw boxes/meshes only create vertices. In the end I had to decompile the structure of .ac files (edit a .AC in notepad and its at least readable), build them in a separate program and then load them into AC3D for TGI export. Same for decals. You can rotate no problem.

Spit40 ,

I eventually reach the point in my insanity to try to create a couple of scripts to speed up some of the work I do around creating airports. Can I ask you a couple of dumb questions? I've installed the tcl shell and can do the hello world example, so at least it did not just explode, which is unusual when I first try something.

However, to get the 'ac3d list', I see on the forum that there is references to doing it directly in the tclsh or telnet? How do I "connect" to ac3d to execute 'ac3d' commands interactivly? I assume with your airfield generator you would have to do something like that? Any help would be much appreciated!

--coffeecup

Hi. I've learned a lot abot tcl since i started this thread. Send me a pm please as a reminder as i'm not at my pc and may forget by the time i'm there.

Taxiways?

It isn't a substitute for a fully hand modelled airport done using Ac3D etc but it's turned out to be quite effective. Rapport came from rapid Airport creator. Taxiways are not yet modelled however I hope they can be in a v1.1. There are some technical challenges to achieving taxiways with the method used and I had to draw the line at a good first version for release.

That would be a super huge DLC. At least 80GB I guess.

By the way, do ORBX regions contain airports? And what about the northwest US? Is IPACS doing that or ORBX?

Don't worry about airports. I have a solution for that coming in a couple of weeks. Airports, runways, buildings, static aircraft. Just no orthoscenery so this Orbx announcement is great news. Its been in development for 3 months and a bunch of us are beta testing it right now (and making new airports daily), aiming for Easter release.

P.S. Its a free community, crowd-sourcing wikipedia style project.

Flickering Buildings and Exclusions

A month or so back we were trying to solve the problem of OS data producing flickering buildings. This is now solved. The cause was the duplication of buildings - all buildings in the special buildings SHP file were also in the buildings SHP file and the IPACS autgen code was rendering both buildings in the same place but sometimes with different characteristics due to randomisation.

I've updated my code here to fix this (thanks again arnog ). I've also added lines for airport cultivation exclusion which can be commented out as needed.

I quite often instruct in a 737 simulator ( and a vulcan simulator, no mod cons in there) where its program the fmc and follow the magenta line, well that's their plan, by the time the Gremlin gets to work they mostly fly VOR for the majority of the route, by hand of course. I would guess 90% find it a challenge and all thank me for making it an interesting and hard work flight.

The way i see things is, if you know the basics inside out any luxuries are a bonus

Steve aka Gremlin

I'm glad its still commonplace. I find GPS pretty boring and enjoyed the research into how VOR and NDB works. I've never been very good at hobbies that involve just observing and experiencing anyway. I'd rather be working things out and have my brain switched on.

It also seems to me that if pilots forgot how to do anything but GPS we'd have lots of the kind of incidents we get when people rely on SatNav and end up in the wrong county and no clue where they are.