Posts by Spit40

Hi Ed

Yep it will be available eventually if it accepted by IPACS. Without any other UK airports it might only be suitable for touch and goes ;(

Steve

i can offer a runway, tower and lots of cultivation for Blackpool if you want a very short flight and/or i have one of the runways on Walney Island (BAE Systems + gliding club private airfield in South Lake District). Hardly of the quality for an Ipacs download though. I wonder if people are interested in work-in-progress or B grade airfields...something better than nothing?

Phil, do you now how to talk to ScenProc to get large round tanks generated rather than 1 story flat buildings. We have a ton of petrochemical plants in the SE USA with these large fuel storage tanks. It look a little dorky with each one being a flat square building when cultivating.

Regards,

Ray

I think we're stuck with square cultivation until IPACS give us more building types. We can only choose

a) residential or commercial

b) flat or pitch roof, and

c) height.

We can do tricks with KML files to designate certain areas as taller buildings or commercial only, but these are the only options we have for now.

Level 15 and the new TMC stuff (masks etc) - yes no problem. I'll add it to:

Spit40

Hi Phil

I've turned Geoconvert into a production line and it's now become pretty straightforward. However, as you say, the coastline is the really time-consuming part. I've gone down the route of colouring in the white bits rather than masking them. I find it easier, but I guess it would cause problems with sharing. It also means that I won't see any future improvements made to the Aerofly sea, unless I'm a long way offshore. (I make sure "my" sea extends at least 30 miles out from the coast.)

I'm currently doing southern England at max resolution (0.25 m & level 15). I've done 50 GB so far, and I would estimate that an area comprising Kent to Cornwall east-west and Thames Valley to the coast north-south will be about 200 GB. I may move on to Wales (200 GB ish) or possibly NE France (again probably a 200 GB chunk).

Ian

Yes colouring in avoids ugly chunky transitions. I'll tell you the other idea I had in my head at 4am this morning - create a website where people could very easily enter the minimum data points for an airfield - tower, start/end/width runway 1 etc in whatever is easiest to grab (i.e. not long/lat dec but as it comes off mygeoposition) and the page would generate the TSC file. In addition it would store all the TSC files entered so anyone else could download all the TSC files created for a country/region. If I can grab a few hours over Christmas I'll build it - I'm in the website business.

Arno has also given me some ScenProc streamlining tips for Ordnance Survey cultivation data, so if we put all these things together we could really start crowdsourcing some high quality scenery.

Geoconversion itself is quite easy with FSET and will no doubt get easier when ipacs updates the tools to do auto inf2tfw, better error diagnostics and maybe add features to make adjacent and overlaid sceneries easier to do.

So, let's assume that side of the job becomes simple enough that it is no longer an obstacle to 90% of people, which would be handy due to the licencing issues. That leaves just one thing (I think) which is time consuming, and that is water/coast masking. Could there be a way that we can re-use and share these PNG files which geoconvert outputs as an input to the geoconvert process? That way we could co-ordinate sharing the work of creating coastline masks and a handful of us could do the whole of the UK say and store the mask files in a download area.

Just the musings of a 4am insomniac....

If you are flying in VR, the pilot body (and more importantly the hands of the pilot) will actually conflict with the Oculus Touch advanced gesture control feature coming soon (if you are planning on using Touch controllers). The 'VR Hands' feature update will give you FULL control of the aircraft with just the Touch controllers. I thought I would just give you a little insight here :)

I actually suspected that the release of the Touch control functionality would come with a full pilot body i.e. the Touch/Hands would be attached to arms and shoulders rather than severed. Still I am sure this will come with time. My other hope about Touch control is that it will include Leap Motion support or at least be just a small step away from that and other hand interface options like GloveOne as both of these should combine well with physical yokes and sticks.

jjs - this looks great. I've been chatting to the Virtual Red Arrows people as I'd love to do this at a high level one day and wouldn't mind getting into it soon. I like the idea of introducing some more challenge to my flying. I'm waiting for DCS 2.5 to come out as I hear it has great scenery and is good in VR - the ultimate would be to do this in FS2 of course !

Spit40 Hi Phil

Yes - I'm doing the UK. I was definitely going to move on to the OS data - but I just thought I'd do a quick trial with OSM to familiarise myself with what's needed. I didn't even know to begin with that I needed an airport in place - so there's a bit to learn.

Thanks for the tip about the exclusions too.

Another thing I was going to ask - perhaps you would know. Are the trees generic conifers or is there an option to choose deciduous, which would be more appropriate for most parts of the UK?

Ian

Regarding trees, take a look at my modified scenproc file in the OS data thread. In it you see these lines. The FEATCODE bit is the alternate OS Data way of selecting the area that needs trees "planting" but the idea is that using a random number the trees are mixed broadleaf or conifer, but in my version I biased it to broadleaf i.e. 75% of time broadleaf

# Create AF2 plants

# More broadleaf than conifer in the UK

CreateAF2Plant|FEATCODE=15999 And FRAND >= 0.25|8;25|broadleaf

CreateAF2Plant|FEATCODE=15999 And FRAND < 0.25|10;20|conifer

if you are enjoying this, i recommend downloading Qgis to inspect the OSM data, and you should see how the data are recorded in OSM and how to reference that in scenproc. Theres plenty on google for how to import osm files.

Hi Rodeo

Many thanks for the video. I've just started my first attempt at cultivation and I have a couple of questions:

1. I don't want to exclude any area so ..... does the exclude.kml file have to relate to an area inside the area selected in OSM? My exclude.kml is one I downloaded from the forum for somewhere else in the world.

2. You say that the building_textures folder is in your airport design package. Is this to be found in the "Downloads" section of this forum? I have the "Scenery Workshop" and the "Hawaii Airports" but I can't find it in either of those.

Ian, are you geoconverting the UK? If so forget OSM and go with Ordnance Survey as per my post. Every building down to a cricket pavillion is in their data. As for skipping exclusions, just comment out the exclusion line.

Hi Phil.

If user-created cultivation is currently linked to airfields, and the DLC of New York brought trees to areas that are far removed from airfields, then one wonders if the core sim creates cultivation through a different process from that which users are using. Maybe future versions of the sim will expand the coverage of basic trees so that third party developers have more of a base to begin their scenery design work from.

I find myself between two minds. Do I invest the time to learn cultivation now, or do I wait to see further development in the sim's cultivation engine before undertaking that learning curve?

- Kenneth

Cultivation is great. Have a go - it's been the easiest to learn, compared to AC3D and geoconversion