Posts by Spit40

This is what I get after conversion. The aircraft has been placed at the start of the runway. You can see the PAPI lights are level with it as is the autogen but the ground is many metres recessed/below. It's like I'm in a crater as once I get to the edge of the area covered by the airport I've made the ground rises up like a cliff to normal height. I already set all the objects in the AC3D model to Y=0

SDK is 14 July, AC3D package g#has September dates.

All these toys for Christmas: New aircraft, cultivation, Rodeo's airport tutorials and we've only just had Colorado. You guys are on fire! And for VR flyers shortly we'll get the new Oculus Dash home environment which should allow us to include windows in cockpit to view a PDF,

Finally the UK has terraced houses

I've been doing more tweaks to Rodeo 's scenProc file and now we finally have rows of terraced houses, a familiar feature in the UK. I've just realised they need to be a bit taller but that's an easy fix. I've also noticed that FS2 boosts the vibrance of cultivated buildings quite a bit compared to the BMPs. I've been trying to take out some of the saturation of the red roofs but it's still there.

The other thing I've been experimenting with is ReplacePolygonByBuildingRectangles in order to show some of the more interesting irregularly shaped buildings, and I came up against the "feature" that FS2 currently randomises its choice of building as you can see above where a commercial building now has a mixture of shades to its roof.

Here's my latest scenProc file in case others want to use it with OS OpenData.

# AeroFly FS 2 scenProc script

# with function to filter out objects on airport

# Author of scenProc Arno Gerretsen

# Script amended, modified and enhanced by Rodeo

# Tweaked by Spit40

# --------------------------------------------------------

#

# KML files from OS OpenData, opened in QGIS and exported with EPSG co-ordinate system

# Loading data for the 'SD' grid - see https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm…tional_Grid.svg

# The only attribute I'm bothering to load is FEATCODE

ImportOGR|D:\aerofly_fs_2_sdk_tools_oct17\Cultivation\OS Download\opmplc_essh_sd\sd_building.kml|*|FEATCODE|NOREPROJ

ImportOGR|D:\aerofly_fs_2_sdk_tools_oct17\Cultivation\OS Download\opmplc_essh_sd\sd_road.kml|*|FEATCODE;CLASSIFICA|NOREPROJ

ImportOGR|D:\aerofly_fs_2_sdk_tools_oct17\Cultivation\OS Download\opmplc_essh_sd\sd_woodland.kml|*|FEATCODE|NOREPROJ

ImportOGR|D:\aerofly_fs_2_sdk_tools_oct17\Cultivation\OS Download\opmplc_essh_sd\sd_importantbuilding.kml|*|FEATCODE|NOREPROJ

#

# Load Shapefile that will be excluded from processing

# Skipped for now

#ImportOGR|D:\aerofly_fs_2_sdk_tools_oct17\Cultivation\OS Download\opmplc_essh_sd\exclude.kml|*|*|NOREPROJ

#

# Split the features into a grid of 0.25 x 0.25 degrees

# Do not split buildings, but filter them into the right grid cells

# I need to ask Rodeo why he commented this out

# SplitGrid|0.25|*|FEATCODE="15014"

#

# Lights

# Place point features for the lights along roads

# B roads and minor roads - skip the lights

PlacePointsAlongLine|FEATCODE=15719|SINGLE|45;55|6;6|25|String;point|plight|hdg

PlacePointsAlongLine|FEATCODE=15710|SINGLE|45;55|6;6|25|String;point|plight|hdg

PlacePointsAlongLine|FEATCODE=15723|SINGLE|45;55|6;6|25|String;point|plight|hdg

PlacePointsAlongLine|FEATCODE=15743|SINGLE|40;40|4;4|20|String;point|slight|hdg

# PlacePointsAlongLine|FEATCODE=15750|SINGLE|30;35|4;4|10|String;point|tlight|hdg

# PlacePointsAlongLine|FEATCODE=15762|SINGLE|30;30|4;4|10|String;point|rlight|hdg

#

# Plants

# Place point features for the plants in forest polygons

# using spacing of 0.00025 degrees and full randomness

PlacePointsInPolygon|FEATCODE=15999|0.00025;0.00025|1.0;1.0

#

# Filter out the buldings, lights and plants

# that are within the exclude polygons

# Skip for now

#AddAttributeIfInside|building="*"|FROMFILE="exclude.kml"|String;skip|yes

#AddAttributeIfInside|point="light"|FROMFILE="exclude.kml"|String;skip|yes

#AddAttributeIfInside|FTYPE="POINT" And landuse="forest"|FROMFILE="exclude.kml"|String;skip|yes

#UnloadFeatures|skip="yes"

#

#

# Create AF2 plants

# More broadleaf than conifer in the UK

CreateAF2Plant|FEATCODE=15999 And FRAND >= 0.25|8;25|broadleaf

CreateAF2Plant|FEATCODE=15999 And FRAND < 0.25|10;20|conifer

#

# Create AF2 lights

CreateAF2Light|point="plight"|0.9;0.8;0.7|5|0;0;1|10

CreateAF2Light|point="slight"|0.9;0.7;0.5|3|0;0;1|8

CreateAF2Light|point="tlight"|0.6;0.6;0.7|3|0;0;1|6

CreateAF2Light|point="rlight"|0.9;0.6;0.3|3|0;0;1|6

# Identify the buildings, add a BUILDTYPE attribute

# 1 = Small building

# 2 = House / Terrace

# 3 = Commercial or wide modern house

# 4 = Church

# 5 = Other special buildling

# NB: I'm assuming that length is always the longest side !!

AddAttribute|FEATCODE=15014 And FAREARAT>0.7 And FLENGTH < 10|Integer;BUILDTYPE|1

AddAttribute|FEATCODE=15014 And FLENGTH >= 10 And FWIDTH < 20|Integer;BUILDTYPE|2

AddAttribute|FEATCODE=15014 And FLENGTH >=10 and FWIDTH>=20|Integer;BUILDTYPE|3

AddAttribute|FEATCODE=15025|Integer;BUILDTYPE|4

AddAttribute|FEATCODE>=15018 and FEATCODE<=15028 and FEATCODE<>15025|Integer;BUILDTYPE|5

# Split bigger buildings into smaller if area ratio<0.7

# We store but don't actually use the SPLITBUILD attribute

ReplacePolygonByBuildingRectangles|FEATCODE>=15014 and FEATCODE<=15028 and FAREARAT<=0.7 and FLENGTH>=10 and FWIDTH>=20|0.8;4;4|0.25;2.0;0.25|Integer;SPLITBUILD|1

#

# Create AF2 buildings

CreateAF2Building|BUILDTYPE=1|1|flat|residential

CreateAF2Building|BUILDTYPE=2|1|gable|residential

CreateAF2Building|BUILDTYPE=3|3|flat|industrial

CreateAF2Building|BUILDTYPE=4|5|gable|residential

CreateAF2Building|BUILDTYPE=5|4|flat|industrial

#

# Export the AF2 TOC file

ExportTOC|D:\aerofly_fs_2_sdk_tools_oct17\Cultivation\OS Download\opmplc_essh_sd|map_sd

When GeoConvert came out, I was super excited and I made sceneries like mad. But now I have stopped using it. Why? Because it looks very flat and lifeless without 3D cultivation. Now I know it’s not enough with only photoreal scenery. At least there need to be some trees. We are spoilt by the professional made DLC. So we really need to have some easy way to plant some trees in our GeoConvert scenery by ourselves.

I agree 100%

I can't go back now. I've been doing loads of cultivation of the UK and it makes a huge difference. We are getting spoiled though. I was amazed when I first experienced Virtual Earth geoconverted to FS2, but now its not enough without cultivation. Just wish I could get airfields working as well. Next AC3D video please Rodeo ! No rest for the gifted!

That works great. I see you mix'n'match the roofs and walls/gables a bit. Still it was high time my local roofs were of dark slate rather than red clay. Just a few tweaks now as long "buildings" in the UK are more likely to be a row of terraced houses than garages.

Fantastic. I've just flown over my cultivated house and local village. It's great how easily this works. I suppose the next thing is to tweak the cultivation mappings. I live in a rural area. House are stone or red brick so the default house shape isn't the best fit. The other thing is whether cultivation technique can be used as a quicker way to add objects. For example there's a local monument on top of a hill which is cultivated as a single storey suburban house. I know I could exclude and model individually but if there was a generic monument in a library somewhere could I code up the building as that? I've read about needing to edit things in a GIS. Is there a good open source option? (I'm going to try this: http://www.qgis.org)

I'm taking a closer look at building textures now. In your scn file I see 3 types of building.

1:flat (roof):industrial

3:flat (roof):industrial

1:gable (roof):residential

In the building textures txt I see references to res (presumably residential) and com (company or common?) I also see color_00 and color_01 in there.

Can you tell me please:

• which bmps correspond to the 3 building types in the TOC
    • are there other building types not currently used in the scn file
    • can I add variations of building types by appropriate use of the naming conventions

Thanks!

Solved the co-ordinate problem of OS Data

The way I did it was to:

1. Take each SHP file as supplied by OS (building, woodland, road)
    2. Load it into QGIS (load all at once actually)
    3. For each one (layer), Save As a KML file and modify the CRS (cordinate system) from Ordnance Survey to ESPG

Then I loaded these KMLs into procScen. It works perfectly. Its really quite amazing. OS maps have just about every single building in the UK, so you'll even get a small hut appearing on a golf course or bowling green. Now I need to modify the appearance for UK style buildings.

The other thing I might try is to request a free Discovery Licence to try out their more detailed vector maps that have height data and additional detail. It would be good to autogen a tower or tall building differently from a home.

Lots of progress today. I managed to decode the attributes in the OS OpenData downloads and processed the shp files that they provide directly in scenProc. As a first pass I used a modified version of Rodeo 's scenProc file (attached), but I hope to improve this with more UK style buildings - red brick and terraces. Unfortunately the data that OS provide at this level uses a single classification for buildings and woodland.

It's not quite there yet though as I hit a stumbling block with the projection. OS maps don't store co-ordinates in the usual way but use the OS grid system. I found a conversion for it here, but something is wrong and all the houses are a few metres out of alignment. More investigation needed. Maybe it's a splitgrid issue. Any ideas anyone? Anyway, that's why my screenshots are at night !