Posts by Spit40

ScenProc has all the tools to work directly from shapefile vector format. You only need a GIS to explore your data and find how they're referenced for setting according calls/syntax in ScenProc steps (see the manual). Not a straightforward job, especially with QGIS that quickly gets unstable with large databases...

Cheers

Antoine

Thanks yes I see that now - references to shp files in the manual. Once I do get my head around the nature of the data though I should be able to create a scenproc file like Rodeo's that others could use to pull in as much of the UK as they want. I think it may also need OSM data though as I'm not seeing street lighting in the OS Data.

Update 30/12/17: Save time and skip to this post where a full simplified workflow is provided that avoids a Graphical Information System (GIS)

I'm very impressed with my first attempt at cultivation, but the data was a bit thin for where I am in the UK, so I looked for alternatives. I found the Ordnance Survey site who offer a free download. I haven't got as far as data into FS2 yet (bit of a learning curve), but thought I'd share work in progress in case others want to contribute. This is where I'm up to:

1. Go to the OS Site
    2. Pick the squares you want data for (ctrl for multiple) - check you're downloading data type:vector download ESRI shape
    3. Scroll to the bottom and click Continue, enter your details
    4. A few minutes later you get a download link
    5. Now you need a GIS. So download and install QGIS
    6. Now you need to get the OS data into the GIS, so unzip the OS download and follow these instructions

Compared to what I get from OSM this is amazing. Next step is to try and get it into FS2 via ScenProc. I think I need to export to a KML, but once I've done that it would be great to do a more sophisticated mapping job, relying not just on building dimensions to guess at what type of building it is, but to use all this meta data.

Higher level

Zoom in a bit

Metadata

Fantastic. I've just flown over my cultivated house and local village. It's great how easily this works. I suppose the next thing is to tweak the cultivation mappings. I live in a rural area. House are stone or red brick so the default house shape isn't the best fit. The other thing is whether cultivation technique can be used as a quicker way to add objects. For example there's a local monument on top of a hill which is cultivated as a single storey suburban house. I know I could exclude and model individually but if there was a generic monument in a library somewhere could I code up the building as that? I've read about needing to edit things in a GIS. Is there a good open source option? (I'm going to try this: http://www.qgis.org)

I know i'm being impatient, but i'm trying to get up to speed with AC3D as quickly as possible. The problem with youtube is that the role of the ipacs exporter and library objects is crucial. At this stage i don't think i need to learn all the ins and outs of AC3D to get a tower and runway in. Mastery of modelling can come later. Rodeo is producing great videos but that will take time. 'experts' in general tend not to realise what pitfalls a newbie encounters, so i'm inviting others who are right at the start of learning AC3D for the specific purpose of creating an airfield to share their learnings. I'm assuming you have already:

1) Downloaded the sdk and installed the converter

2) Downloaded the 'make your own airport' and successfully added another library object to kdwh

3) Seen Rodeo's video on starting a new airfield and adding a background image, sized to your airfield

If you haven't done these steps yet, i'd recommend you do. If you have done this and got further than me then please share.

The video is great, but i'm struggIing with where it fits into the workflow. You start here with making a new .ac file. Can i now add 3d objects to this and export tgi files as explained in the A3CD download on making your own airport? I tried that but nothing showed up.

Or is the recommended approach to take the kdwh example, cut out the existing background image, load in a new one as you expkain here and try to move and stretch the kdwh objects for use in your own airport? I tried that but got stuck trying to manipulate that outer runway mesh. It was too large for my small airfield.

@J van E - Oculus are releasing a completely overhauled interface in December called Dash. It will be built around multitasking and so will allow other windows to be overlaid on your game. This should be the answer for bringing PDFs or web pages into the cockpit. In fact if Oculus do a classy job of this I could imagine them giving the overlay window a snazzy frame so you could have it feel like a device like an iPad rather than just a window. Surely this sort of thing would be useful in many VR applications not just FS2.

"I am even exploring a MACRO method. ie.Download a macro recording program, record the actions in FSET and Geoconvert Helper and include the resulting macro with the distribution. Now all the user has to do is download the macro recorder program and run my macro."

How about a zip download that contains FSET preconfigured with an INI that holds the co-ords, as well as the geoconvert helper and ideally a copy of geoconvert which I think runs standalone, so the whole lot could go in a separate folder even if someone already has geoconvert. This would require:

1) Approval from FSET guy. Is he still around? Would he really mind - its all shareware anyway?

2) IPACS approval to bundle geoconvert

3) As above for the helper

4) Ideally the ability to run the helper with commandline or batch file... in fact can FSET run with commandline options, enabling a BAT file for the whole lot?

Way to go. Let's get this sharing platform started. I'm way behind on the learning curve, but slowly building a UK airfield (Walney in South Cumbria, UK) and very happy to share. Just the models/3D until we work put a solution for photoscenery side of things.

Just wondering if a photo is a fair comparison? I've done a fair bit of night photography and of course exposure is critical. Consider the Northern Lights which i've photographed in Norway. Real life is nothing like the photos.

Much as I would also be interested to know the roadmap for sceneries (and more aircraft would be nice), I wonder how important it really is to know this. FS2 Is continuing to impress everyone and Orbx have reaffirmed their commitment (wowing us and probably themselves with the capability of the autogen). I don't see IPACS as having the resources to map the world in the way they are working through the US, due to the variable price of imagery for one, but that isn't necessary as long as momentum builds and 3rd parties get on board as surely they will. In many ways the roadmap is not under IPACS control. All they can do is build the best sim and core elements they can and seek to attract and support 3rd parties like Orbx and the guy currently doing New Zealand. They aren't going to facilitate a Kim.com megadownload of content with questionable copyright status, but i'm sure they'll improve geoconvert and welcome any ideas we have to simplify the workflow. Once the autogen tools are more robust i imagine sharing that data will be feasible.