Posts by whitav8

If there was ever a really great reason for getting VR equipment assuming you’re already an FS2 enjoyer, this Hawaiian scenery does it. FS2 performance is so much better than the other Sims so you could get away with lesser equipment. This type of scenery download shows what flying was before we got into high altitude commercial flight from A to B. Just the wonder of it all!

It is amazing what a team of talented individuals can do - maybe better attention to detail than many third party developers. My current favorite scenery is still Monterrey, CA by ORBX (high resolution textures ) so it will be great to compare this Hawaii with that experience. I like to fly low, looking out the side windows in VR as I make a tight left turn and say to myself - "how cool is this!!"

Personally, I like the fact that your color settings are lower in saturation which makes the scenery much more real - color attenuates with distance. I would even reduce the saturation on the the stadium textures.

My favorite area of Oahu really is MCAS Kaneohe which requires some P-8s and other military aircraft. I like to have a Battle Group headed out from there as well.

Looking forward to flying there. I do like a little bit of "Red Flag" exercises with live ordinance (HARMS, AAA, SA-3x, Migs) that I can make happen with either Combat Air Patrol 2 ( AV-8 Harrier ) or P3D with the VRS-F18 and a catapult launch from the Battle Group.

I like the Lynx! I got around most of the VR problems by moving the seat (eyepoint) back as far as possible and then moving from the left seat to the right seat (keyboard "1") to get a better angle. As far as the sequence, I liked Greg's snaphots with numbered graphical boxes and simple checklist but I wasn't pushing the spherical red button at the end of the ECL at first. Ray pointed out that with the fuel system you should wait for about 12 seconds when the blue light goes off by itself before you go to Auto. As others have said, start up in nonVR first so you remember all the steps.

RE: Get to da choppa! (Lynx quick start guide for noobs)

I'm not talking about the blue light for the fuel system before switching down to Auto. This is the blue light above the IGN No 1/2 for the Fire Extinguisher - Bott 1/2.

You mention "more steps" but I am following Greg's list carefully.

Dave

EDIT: Whoops - I am not pushing the Starter Button!!

EDIT#2: Final comment - This heli is awesome in VR. Thanks larrylynx for such a wonderful flying experience!!!!!

With the Reverb (or possibly any VR HMD ), I heartily recommend the ORBX Monterrey scenery. It just seems to be one of the most real and best performing airports. Stay close to it in any aircraft and fly low over it in the biplane or whatever and you will be amazed at how good it looks in the Reverb. Low passes down RWY10 let you test for smoothness of reprojection and is just plain fun! There are other good airports (like LOWI ), but they did this one very nicely.

For those of you with a Reverb, I propose a vision clarity test - pretty simple. With your eye position in the proper reference point in the Q400 (use the white/black ball helper on the center window frame), can you read the airspeed on the first officer's PFD and maybe even guess at the altitude. Also, I hit the PERF button on the CDU and read the weight just fine - without any leaning in and at 2160x2116 (or so) SS and maybe 1.2 Render Scale Factor in FS2. I use this because I want a repeatable clarity test every time WMR Portal, SteamVR, Nvidia drivers, etc updates occur. Please let me know.

I am completely satisfied with the monitor-like clarity and I also have the vroptician lenses which are much better than glasses. I run at 2160x 2116 and get only slightly less clarity out past 50% of the total FOV and very little chromatic aberration. I test it by looking at the first officers displays of airspeed/altitude in the Q400 from the lefthand seat. I suppose the FOV could be wider but I don’t notice it really when actually flying. If the HMD cable is strapped with Velcro loops to my chair armrest, i don’t feel it. The color is fine except somewhat at night at the edges of the cockpit. A great VR gen 2 experience for us flight simmers.

Just so you know, there is another flight sim that performs well in VR called Combat Flight Sim 2 that has decent scenery in this general area - that being Liverpool and the Mach loop. It is still under construction and progress is slow but I enjoy flying in my Harrier behind a lead Harrier around the Mach loop at 500 knots. I truly appreciate FS2 and the terrific quality of scenery that Michael and others have created but I do enjoy having some weapons and a VTOL to fly like a helicopter as well as a fighter jet

The reprojection setting file you need to edit (and possibly if there is a SteamVR update ) is in the following location:

XX:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\resources\settings\default.vrsettings

and mine looks like:

{

"driver_Holographic" : {

},

"driver_Holographic_Experimental" : {

// Motion reprojection doubles framerate through motion vector extrapolation

// motionvector = force application to always run at half framerate with motion vector reprojection

// auto = automatically use motion reprojection when the application can not maintain native framerate

"motionReprojectionMode" : "auto", <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<-------------------------------------this is the only edit (remove "//" )

//Use next for DCS

// "motionReprojectionMode" : "motionvector", ......................................

This sets it up so that it will run at 90Hz when it can without adding an interval frame by shifting pixels and 45fps when the new frames drop below 70 hz or so. You will see some object artifacts then.

Using Aerofly for VR is so wonderful because you don't have to remove many high settings. I like the Q400 at ORBX Monterrey best.

nickhod,

I just wanted to be sure that you have read my "little" writeup on the Reverb:

VR Flight Sim cockpit review of the HP Reverb

If you have any questions or tests that you want me to run, I would be glad to help. It really is hard to make these VR HMD choices when we can't try them on. I bought mine from the HP store for $499 (the consumer version ) with the idea in mind that if it just didn't work well for me, I would send it back for a full refund. My previous HMD was an Odyssey+ so I had all the WMR software and knew how to best set it up.

Thanks for all your Aeroscenery efforts!

Dave W.