Posts by whitav8

I first "landed" on the lake with the R-22 so I could measure the local height (560 m) and then used that for altitude instead of using autoheight=true. I finally adjusted it to 557 . As others have said, orientation is adjusted with "<[float64][orientation][-90]>" with the value in degrees.

I include my tsc file - I positioned more toward Interlaken airport.

I just wonder how the Nimitz ever got there.

Dave W.

I am the OP and my conclusion was as follows:

"A summary of the results for my CPU (9700Kat 5Ghz) / GPU (RTX2070) show that the optimal spot for me is as follows:

ASW=motionvector, SteamVR Video Tab at 212% and Application at 100%, In-game SS = 1.6, RenderTargetScale = 2.0, all of which provides a B+ image clarity. I wish we could try a "sharpening" filter (Unreal Engine has it) that might get it to an A- but maybe I have to wait for Gen 2. For this application, RenderTargetScale has a small clarity effect but significant AA effect."

I set the Reprojection in the default.vrsettings file to "motionvector" so the FPS was a constant 45 - this allowed me to make all the other changes and still keep the frametime under 22.2 milliseconds. I wanted a fairly high density scenery viewpoint so I picked ORBX Innsbruck - at a parking spot so as to keep the viewpoint repeatable.

What I wanted to do globally was to set the SteamVR Video tab (global SS) to 200% and the Application specific at 100% for all applications and then if the application has an internal SS setting, adjust that. First, I verified by actual test (measuring clarity and frametime (not FPS) in milliseconds) whether those SteamVR SS settings had any effect - I changed the 200% to 150%, 250%, and 100% and the change in frametime (and clarity) verified that there really was a change. Then I went back to the 200% Global - 100% Application in SteamVR and now only adjusted the Aerofly FS2 RenderScaleFactor from 1.2 to 1.7 and again I saw BOTH frametime (not FPS) and clarity change.

The summary of all this was to show a concept of how to evaluate your settings - to see how much you can increase your settings towards maximum image clarity but still get the fluid 45 fps with Reprojection. I really don't want to get the stutters! The values that I chose were only for my CPU/GPU combination which is maybe at the 80% point of max performance in AFS2 with todays hardware. YMMV!!

Flying around in VR within the sweetspot of the Odyssey+ and smooth reprojection gives a great flight - just beautiful.

Dave W.

Phil,

I wear glasses too (waiting on my widmovr lenses to experiment ) and yes the "sweet spot" is difficult to keep right there for flight sims (have to keep checking and bumping the HMD ) - not as noticeable in many games or demos (really like theBlu and Apollo 11). I have progressive lenses and I also have to get them lined-up to get the most clear image. Even so, I like the image better than the Rift - things just look beautiful with the O+

I my experiment above, I used the engine readouts in the center MFD of the Q400 for the clarity test without leaning in but with the eye at the reference eyepoint where the triangle device on the windshield is correct. The best was that I could barely read them.

Dave W.

I used the idea of watching the frametime from SteamVR in order to measure impact to performance along with a clarity study. I decided to repeat that kind of experiment and I used our flight simulator (Aerofly FS2 Q400 which has excellent performance and has some detailed scenery from ORBX (Ultra/Insane settings) for Innsbruck airport ) instead of car racing as a test case since there are many cockpit instruments with small fonts to get the best impression of image clarity (can I read the number without leaning). The ASW column refers to using motionvector or not, FPS was provided by the in-game printout, and I did try adjusting RenderTargetScale. A summary of the results for my CPU (9700Kat 5Ghz) / GPU (RTX2070) show that the optimal spot for me is as follows:

ASW=motionvector, SteamVR Video Tab at 212% and Application at 100%, In-game SS = 1.6, RenderTargetScale = 2.0, all of which provides a B+ image clarity. I wish we could try a "sharpening" filter (Unreal Engine has it) that might get it to an A- but maybe I have to wait for Gen 2. For this application, RenderTargetScale has a small clarity effect but significant AA effect. I did have to always check to see that I was in the small sweet spot of the Odyssey.

Here is a table of the test: (Sorry about the incorrect spacing)

==================================================================================

WMR Benchmarks (ASW = on => motionvector ) For 90fps = 11.1msec and 45fps =22.2msec max
    Test location is parking at ORBX Innsbruck
    Time FPS ASW SteamVR_SS IngameSS RenderTargetScale Clarity Comments
    12.8 45 On 200 1.6 2.0 B+
    15.8 58 OFF 200 1.6 2.0 B+ Why did the frametime go up a little??

10.7 70 OFF 100 1.6 2.0 C+
    17.9 52 OFF 250 1.6 2.0 B++
    17.9 45 OFF 250 1.7 2.0 A- slightly clearer but strong aliasing begins
    15.0 42 On 250 1.6 2.0 B++ Clear but flicker on instruments
    12.3 45 On 212 1.6 2.0 B++ Optimal?
    12.7 45 On 212 1.6 1.0 B- less clear and with noticeable aliasing
    12.7 45 On 212 1.6 3.0 B++ noticeable AA improvement over 1.0
    10.5 45 On 150 1.6 2.0 B- Less clear but provides FPS headroom

OK, so the latest combination that was recommended for image crispness for the WMR world (not just Odyssey+ but it has the "softest" image) and those with a substantial video card (I just installed an RTX 2070 on my 9700K@5Ghz ) is the combination of the following for Aerofly FS2:

1) Set WMR Portal Headset Display Visuals to "Very high (beta)"

2) default.vrsettings to "renderTargetScale" : 2.0

3) SteamVR Supersampling to 200%

4) AFS2 RenderFactor to 1.8

Experiment with anti-aliasing/anisotropic settings

No one knows if all these are really required - but the image is definitely better. I am starting at this condition and working back to see where it begins to fall off in clarity but gives back some FPS. Flying the Q400 in Innsbruck sure looks good - easy to read the airspeed on the PFD. What interests me is that our VR HMDs may actually have better image quality than we think - it's up to the graphic card and all these settings to produce the best pixels.

@ZoSoChile,

Yes, I used the new R22 especially since I have a hard time reading the airspeed gauge (somewhat "far" away and small fonts). I also tried both the Q400 and the A320 since they have hard to read values for airspeed and altitude on the Primary Flight Display. If anyone can do so, let's try to see how much FPS we lose if we change nothing else than the renderTargetScale from 1.0 to 2.0. Maybe as a separate test, we can try increasing SS and change other items like Antialiasing and Anisotropic values... Maybe there is another value than 2.0??

I would have been nice if Samsung could have provided an "EyeExam" application that just writes a pattern to their screen(s) without any WMR/Steam/... applications between us and the display - then we could see how clear it is natively. I think maybe some folks turned their Odyssey+ HMDs back without giving it time to see what really can be done.

Dave W.

Further comments on Steam Forum

I am enjoying my Samsung Odyssey+ with AFS2 but would have to admit that the clarity could stand improvement. I would run up the SuperSampling value but it seemed to limit at about 1.5 or so in improvement and I couldn't easily read some instruments (but I really like the antiSDE). I just happened to come across this forum "conversation" ( somewhat of an argument ) on the Steam thread - go to the very last entries https://steamcommunity.com/app/719950/dis…15073552/?ctp=2

The summary of the idea is to try it for yourself - make a simple change to the file "STEAM\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\resources\settings\default.vrsettings"

"driver_Holographic" : {

"renderTargetScale" : 2.0

},

instead of 1.0 and see if you don't notice an improvement (restart WMR+SteamVrbeta ) - but it is possibly a placebo (I don't think so). If you are using motionReprojection with the variable color square indicator, it will be harder to see since it is now half the size it was. I feel that difficult to read instrument values like a smaller "0" are easier to read and the out the window scene has less shimmer. I am using SS set to somewhere between 1.5 and 2.0. Just try it and report back - I'm willing to take any negative responses because our perception of clarity varies with the individual and CPU/GPU configuration.

Dave W.

When I test Prepar3D, it is obvious that Single Pass Rendering in VR really helps (maybe by 30% or so). I know that AFS2 is very fast, but there is always room for improvement when talking about complex ORBX scenery and complex aircraft (Q400 vs C172). Does AFS2 use single pass rendering as yet?

highflyer, I won’t get to use my own odyssey plus for a week so I really hope you discover all the best settings. Your comments are very important to many of us. In general what would you say about the clarity compared to a rift. Another words what do you think of the reduced SDE? How about tracking? Can you fly fine with your joystick? Have you tried to setup reprojection?

Please give us your honest reviews as soon as you have time to try out the various aspects using AFS2. I think many of us are interested in the image clarity outside the cockpit and perhaps a slight reduction in the requirement to lean in. Perhaps there are some settings that work better for this and sharing ideas will help.

kenventions,

If you know or can find out, it would be helpful to have a simple list for setup of the WMR environment (for the Odyssey+) for all us Oculus Rift folks. I assume that we need either build 1803 or 1809 Windows 10 to start out with. I assume that we load the WMR portal for WIndows , etc...

Thanks

Dave W.

P.S. Does anyone actually know when (example 12:01am November 18th EST) we can purchase the Odyssey+ at the "Black Friday" price

I am building a new 9700K@5GHz based PC and I want to run AFS2 on it but leave quite a bit (maybe not all the DLC) on the older PC. Should I simply buy AFS2 from Steam again and whatever DLC - or can I transfer some of the old to the new just by copying files? Since I would have the same Steam account (or would I ?), will I run into some issues?

Thanks

Dave W.

GrahamD

Most benchmarking of the 2080ti over the 1080ti are showing a modest 30% or so improvement in performance (everything else the same).The 3X stuff has to do with ray tracing.

Example:

https://www.techradar.com/news/nvidia-ge…dia-gtx-1080-ti

frui

I think a lot of folks were getting 5.0 Ghz for all cores but maybe they are using special cooling. 4.7 is very fine though. The major point that you are showing is simply that we need 6 or more 5.0 Ghz or so cores plus a 2080ti + Pimax 5K+ plus controllers and sensors - WOW!!