Posts by KenR297

I agree that the current naming convention is confusing and if possible should be changed at some point... the suggestion 'lonlat_NW vs lonlat_min and lonlat_SE versus lonlat_max' would be helpful. :)

Is it just me, or is your se corner lat number incorrect? Perhaps I am wrong but the se corner lat coordinate should be less than the nw corner...

Thank you for your post, it makes us all feel good knowing that many are now getting this to work .

You're more than welcome; I know you're working hard trying to help everyone get geoconvert working for themselves, and I think I speak for everyone when I say thanks again for your efforts.

As an addendum to my last post above, I completed the 1m res scenery conversion, placed the files in a new folder in the scenery/images folder in my AFS2 documents folder, and am pleased to report that the 1m res scenery does indeed take precedence over the 2m res scenery. Now I need to enjoy my new scenery, add a few more areas, and begin learning how to add an airport while we wait for the additional tools that will allow us to add buildings to our newly created scenery. :)

While I would have appreciated some help with the problem I posted above, I finally succeeded in solving my issues myself and am happy to report my scenery area is completed and functioning as it should!

I started from scratch and made two changes from what I had been doing: first, I changed the lon/lat coordinates to just two decimals vs the six or more I had been using (example -85.40 38.20); second, I placed the completed files in it's own directory under scenery/images in the documents folder. Previously I had been placing the files directly in the scenery/images folder. And, as it's been posted numerous times now in other threads one needs to run the inf2tfw conversion program as geoconvert does not do this automatically as the wiki states. Perhaps it is going to at some point but right now it does not.

For Rodeo, here are two screenshots of my finished work:

I have used 2m res for the entire area (146x75) as an experiment to see if 2m res is acceptable and I believe it is, though my future endeavors are going to be 1m res projects. I wanted a large amount of my home area to fly in to start and decided to make it 2m res so it would be more manageable. At 2m I can easily spot my home and other local buildings, landmarks, etc. I have already d/led a smaller 20x20 or so smaller area of the city proper at 1m res which I am going to attempt to convert and then place in a new folder in my documents/scenery/images folder. Then, I will see if the higher resolution 1m area takes precedence over the 2m area. I do not want to place the 1m scenery in the same folder as my 2m scenery as I am afraid it will cause issues such as that I had earlier.

Sorry for the long winded post, my intent is to show that geoconvert does work and works great. Again, thank you IPACS and all involved with this tool. If you're having issues, hang in there: just follow the steps and it will come.

Jeff,

First, a big thank you to IPACS, you, Rodeo and anyone else who has worked diligently on this tool for the masses. I can't say enough how much this tool is appreciated by me and I'm sure many others.

After a couple of hiccups which I won't go into detail about I have successfully converted scenery using FSET; but, I have an anomaly in my scenery I just cannot figure out or fix. I get some squares or sections of scenery of the default low res scenery that my new scenery will not replace, and I have re d/led my scenery area at a couple of different resolutions with FSET to try and rectify this issue, with no success.

I'm attaching a screenshot of what I'm seeing; perhaps the team has already ran into this during testing and can tell me what I'm doing wrong or what is causing the problem. If you have no answers I may try the USGS files instead.

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can give...

What you can't see because of the angle of the screenshot is that ahead of the plane is converted scenery that looks like it should. Hope you guys can help me solve this.

Thanks, I have written my tmc file with 6 blocks of code; my initial scenery area has 2 airports, so I have a block for each .5m airport area plus the other 4 blocks. Unless the tutorial changes when the program comes out I'll try that and see what happens. Hopefully the release will occur this upcoming week and soon we'll all get to begin using this marvelous new tool for AFS2 users!

While we're patiently waiting ( ;) ) for the geoconvert tool, here's a quick question regarding the .tmc file to see if I am understanding it's format correctly:

If I have 3 areas of resolution (.5 for the airport, 1m for the surrounding city, and 2m for a large area around the airport and city), then should I have 3 sets of information (one for each different set of resolution tiles), or up to 15 different blocks of code in total with lon/lat information? Not sure I'm understanding this correctly...

Hope my question makes sense. :)

If you need to reference coordinates the best way is from mygeoposition.com. If you use FSET to obtain the imagery then the coordinates for the corners are listed in that application, and all of the image data is in the INF files also included in your FSET project

My experience from placing aircraft carriers around the coast is that google co-ords are what you use, although the order is reversed. The 3rd co-ord of height above sea level is the one I couldn't work out other than by trial and error. Why should I want to alter that you may ask? Well I did have fun putting an aircraft carrier in Lake Michigan, Indeed in rather than on.

Thanks for the info; I've actually created a "dummy" file for one of our local general aviation airports, but the airport location is off somewhat in AFS2, so I knew I had incorrect coordinates.

Jumping the gun, I know, just be patient a tad longer and wait for the proper tools, tutorials and examples.... sigh... :) You don't realize how hard this wait is, like others am really looking forward to adding my local area to AFS2!

Thanks for the update; here's a question for you:

In the tsc file, are the coordinates in the file (such as -122.3456) the same coordinates as seen in Google Maps when clicking on a location, or are they based on something a tad different? Please explain...

I do not own Aerofly 2 yet, but may be convinced to make a purchase. That somewhat depends on the resolution that would be available within the GeoConvert tool. Is a resolution of 1m per pixel available or even 50cm per pixel? Thanks.

I'll leave it to Jeff for a detailed explanation, but I believe you'll only be limited by your source...:)

Hey, I want this released as badly as you :)

I feel strongly about this tool and it's possibilities.

I know... I'm the one who's kidding, though I think there are many who can't wait for this tool. Having this new tool to work with for adding new areas (along with the other upcoming scenery creation tools promised) is definitely going to step AFS2 up a notch... :)

Flying in the LOWI area was everything I expected. KCGX and the immediate Chicago downtown area is also a real treat to have in AFS2, I already experienced it in FSX; however, there was no Wrigley Field model, and once away from the downtown area scenery resolution reverts to something like 5m per pixel or so. Wasn't expecting that, I thought the entire area would be 1m res. Still, it's great to have ORBX involved in AFS2, and I'm looking forward to their first full region. I am also hoping that IPACS will continue to release their own hi-res scenery DLC.

Now, let's just get that GeoConvert tool out! :)

** I should also point out that an update to KCGX is forthcoming with thousands of autogen objects, and may even have updated higher resolution textures away from the downtown area...