Posts by Tutmeister

Almost everything you list cannot be felt in a sim. Most of it comes through the airframe, seat, noises and g forces so there is no point trying to replicate everything you list. People get so hung up on trying to overcomplicate things when in actual fact most of what you say isnt felt through the stick anyway. A lot of those aren't even simulated in home sims anyway. The point of home force feedback is just to add a little bit of realism. If done properly you can have non linear forces. I do with my prepar3d set up. It makes gliding, ga and war birds so much more fun.
    To say home force feedback will dilute your pilot skills is a nonsense though. There are so many other factors as to why home sims are different from real flying that ffb is the least of your worries. I have been using ffb for years and had no issue with my years of sim time negatively affecting my ability to use a stick after a nearly 20 year break from gliding. 5 minutes in and it felt right.
    Stick position, pressure applied and forces applied should not be learned in a sim, they should be reactions to what the aircraft is doing at any given time. Home Simming is not training, it is fun and nothing more. It is so far removed in so many ways from what a real powered aircraft or glider feels like that it does not dilute a pilots skill and I think you are doing yourself a disservice if you think your home simulator can ruin you as a pilot.

I agree that it shouldn't be high on the list. There are plenty more pressing things missing from fs2 than force feedback and some are biggies! I agree that it is a niche but it can be done to a reasonable level and has been done in other sims. If other devs are including it then there is obviously demand other than just a few of us here.
    This was never supposed to be an oh my god this is the most important feature that is missing thread! Merely a reminder that good ffb does exist out there and it doesn't need to be as complicated as some people make it out to be, mainly because the sims themselves don't actually model all those things anyway!

Happy flying!
    Chris

Yeah I saw that but it seems to have been dismissed by a load of people who can't see the benefit of having control loading and got hung up on measuring and replicating actual forces accurately. This is pointless as each device is going to be different, just like each joystick or yoke has a spring feel that is slightly different. The important thing to have is force that behaves correctly. Why wouldn't you want to be able to trim by feel alone, just like you do in real life or feel the controls go mushy as speed decays. You shouldn't have ground bumps or brakes shudder or any of those things but you should have decent resistance variation with speed and a proper trim system.
    Some people in the thread seem to understand the ffb doesn't just mean a vibration or rumble effect though.
    Plus it was 5 years ago!
    And it was for a different sim!

Ffb devices are actually a bit more plentiful these days. I wanted to show the devs that there is demand for it here.

Chris

John, you are right, there aren't loads of options but as Jay pointed out there are some. That was the point of my original post really, it's not at the forefront of domestic simming so people tend to think it doesn't exist any more. There are a handful of good force feedback yokes out there and the good old sidewinder ffb2 and Logitech 940 plus custom or home made efforts too. The fact that other sims still support ffb shows they think there is enough demand to include it and I just wanted to remind people that even though it isn't common place it is still alive and kicking.
    Great looking yoke there Jay! Definitely interested in that. By the way, I saw your post on the fsforce forums, I'll add my voice too.

Chris

Hi
    I know there aren't loads of force feedback users and I know it isn't high on your list but I just wanted to say don't forget us!
    There are still a good number of ffb users who would like support. Solutions for other sims exist, fsforce for fsx and prepared and dcs natively so it is still something that is out there.
    Being able to trim an aircraft properly by feel is a big deal especially GA or gliders and I regularly enjoy this in other platforms. With your excellent flight model this would be fantastic!
    So please, don't neglect us force feedback users for too long!
    Cheers
    Chris