Posts by Jetjockey10

xray3,

Once you are back at your pc next week we can start a conversation here on the forum so we don't tie up a public thread.

The parking positions are the white airplanes and are "start" positions only. Not for display of static aircraft. The 737s and 757 are static aircraft from fsCloudBase. A nice selection of static aircraft can be found there. It is totally free, easy to use, and built specifically for AFS2 users by Spit40.

The object names come from the fsCloudBase program. I just click and choose then twist and turn and place into a position, then press save. Download, unzip and run AFS2. You have to reload AFS2, of course, between changes and updates.

You might want to go there if you have a laptop and get familiar with the program. Phil has a video to watch for instructions. I can give you hints on how I use the program.

Yes, KSBA is a little crowded at that corner this morning.

Regards,

Ray

xray3,

Adding more static aircraft to an existing DLC airport is an absolute piece of cake. I used cloud based fsCloudBase to create a small airport a few miles NE of KSBA. Lampoc KLPC is the shadow of Vandenberg AFB. I added a runway and one small building. I then added several 737 static aircraft but I placed them at KSBA instead of the expected KLPC. You have to make a couple of tries to avoid sitting on top of existing DLC static aircraft. Google and IPACS do not agree on the aircraft in the images so just move them around to avoid conflicts. Also the elevation could be off a foot or so and can be corrected easy enough.

I do not have time today to fine tune it but, as a proof of concept it couldn't be much easier. Take a look at the image below and check out the newly added 737s.

I will open a conversation with you and walk you through the details.

You can review the tsc file attached. Rename the txt to tsc for a valid file

Regards,

Ray

Yes, some progress being made. Fuel flow could become a reality in AFS2 one day. Better be saving your pennies. When I was flying the early Learjet Jet Fuel was 0.26 cents a gallon and no one thought anything about filling the tanks. Of course, the noise was deafening but what a thrill to fly.

I will be searching for flight manuals today. I’m guessing all the Classic engines are the same with the gross weight being the main difference in performance.

Regards,

Ray

Overloaded,

I have found a fairly fuzzy (not HD and not very sharp) photo of one of the SWA -500 that was among the last to be retired. Surprisingly, the panel is very similar, other than the differences we have both noted. This SWA -500 does not have EFIS so that in itself is encouraging.

I am searching for a sharp photo to compare to our screenshots.

Regards,

Ray

Xray3,

I am confident this can be done. I am away from my pc for a few more days, but when I get home I will run some tests.

My first recommendation would be to use Google Maps to find (right click, select what’s here) the Lat Lon for your static plane location, then copy an existing object line from any tsc file and change the tmb file name and lat Lon and elevation to your choice, save, the reload AFS2 and see the orientation.

An easy method is to use the free fsCloudBase program to create an airport nearby and add several static planes. Download, unzip, and start AFS2. Edit the fsCP generated tsc file as you like to place your static aircraft on the KSBA airport ramp. Use Google Maps to find the exact lat Lon of the spot you want. An orientation line can be added to the tsc file to get them pointed in the correct direction.

Once you are happy with the location you can substitute the tmb file to use different static objects. I use this method to add cars, fuel tanks, fuel trucks, fuel stations, etc. to those smaller airports that don’t have them. (fsCP has a nice selection of static planes but no cars, fuel trucks, etc)

You can’t change anything in the DLC KSBA file but you can ADD more objects for the area as long as they don’t interfere with the DLC airport. More planes should be easily added.

Let us know if you need some help.

Regards,

Ray

Yes I did. A week or so prior, actually. The 500 was more than a size difference from the 300 and came 6 years later. After about 6 months of 300 production they were all EFIS, All 400 and all 500 therefore were EFIS or so we are told. Only variants were specific to carriers with large orders, like SWA, Lufstansa, Continental.

My best guess for now is our -500 was a prototype that was reintroduced to production then discounted as a one-off to entice future orders or sold to an existing customer that was still using the 200 Adv. The -500 was designed to replace the -200, the 300 and 400 were larger capacity units.

My only problem in not knowing more about this one is that We can’t possibly know how to fly it if we don’t know the specs. Especially the MCP and AP integration. It certainly is not a true blue -500 according to the images and articles that I have found. SWA and Lufstansa have a lot of detailed descriptions and cockpit images online. Google a Gogo Air and take a look at their -500 or SWA and Lufstansa when they retired them in 2016/2017.

The epr gauge is totally out of place with CFM high bypass engines. The radio units don’t match the -500, the 2 unit wide console s/b 3 wide, and a few other discrepancies. I can certainly fly without EFIS, heck, I don’t even miss it.

Don’t get me wrong, I really like the plane. I like it a lot. That is why I wish Jan or someone would publish a flight tutorial for us to learn how to fly it properly or how it was designed to be flown. Meanwhile, I keep adding to my familiarization flight and making test flights. This one is fun to fly to FL370 and back, for sure.

Thanks for the link and follow-up.

Regards,

Ray

Overloaded,

I really appreciate you taking the time and making a special effort to post all those screenshots for me. The more I look at them the more I am convinced this is not an ordinary or standard -500. Maybe it is an early prototype that was returned and certified as a -500 during the production run. It could have been a one off built for an existing -200 Adv customer to try to get a firm order for a lot or something along those lines.

Regards,

Ray

I think so. Please clarify “native airports”. Are you referring to those included in the various DLCs?

Before I go into detail with a couple of methods to add static aircraft, I need to know if you are using fsCloudBase and are you comfortable editing tsc files. Also are theairports in the U.S. or Switzerland DLCs.

Regards,

Ray

Ray,

Here is a great reference about the earliest 737-300/400/500s:

http://www.b737.org.uk/flightinsts.htm

Select the menu entry called Classic Flight Instruments

Dave W.

thanks Dave, yes there are several sites dedicated to the 737 family. I am finding a lot of nitty gritty details at the Southwest Airlines and Lufthansa media sites. The startup and growth of SWA with only 737 equipment makes a fascinating story. Without SWA we might not have any NG or MAX models. Boeing almost stopped with the 200 Adv model.

Regards,

Ray

Yes, there are a lot of panel and cockpit indicators pointing to the 200 adv. I am wading through a ton of old Southwest Airline blogs and hope to shed some light on the mismatch here. I wish IPACS would tell us the reg or s/n of the model used for the flight sim.

The additional one radio width addition to the console is easy to spot. I am yet to find any panel photo of a 500 with the old round flight gauges on the pilot’s side. They all have one of three different EADI square glass units.

Regards,

Ray

When the first facebook screen shot previews were released I thought the new FS2 737 was a -200. After a lot of searching online I found a few references to analog panel -500s. They must have been selected by less flush operators and those wanting as little retraining of their -200 crews as possible. The single FMC/CDU and the Cat II autopilot also suggest a cheap fit.

The presence of a pair of EPR gauges makes it look like an edited -200 panel. Calculating EPR in a high bypass turbofan is very complex as the ballance between the fan and the core shifts during different phases of the flight. Rolls Royce offer it for their big 3 spool engines, rpms alone would be a handfull to assess.

The basic wing design, wingspan, flaps and length of the -200 and -500 are very similar. I wonder if the Aero 737 started as a late autopilot -200?

Ray what sort of resolution and lighting do you want?

Thanks for the screenshots. Yes, I came to the same conclusions. This looks like a 200 Adv panel and not a 500. The epr gauge for the High bypass CFMI engine is confusing. Also the round flight gauges seem to at odds with the 500 description specs.

Regards,

Ray

Hey Gang,

I am away from my PC for a few more days and I am gathering research data for an article that I am writing on the Boeing 737 family of airplanes. I sent myself a few screenshots but, I overlooked side views of the throttle quadrant and a good view of the lower center console.

Would someone be so kind to post a few hd images of our AFS2 B737-500 cockpit. Specifically, a full width shot of the panel, detailed shots of the throttle quadrant and center communications and fuel panel down low between the pilots.

Boeing made a lot of variants within the model series to pacify all the different carriers. I am trying to identify, if possible, the actual model of the AFS2 B737. I appears to be a very early 500, yet it has round gauges and most historians say it should be EFIS.

This is a fun plane to fly, it just needs a few little tweaks. :)

Regards,

Ray

Until i finish my updates on the wiki i'm going to keep all charts as they are.

Thanks. OK, I understand.

Of course, all the 737 charts are basically useless without knowing which 1/3 of the numbers are generally correct, and which ones are not to be used.

I just wish there was some method for users to know which weight line or column applies to the AFS2 model, but, heck, it has been like that for the last 1 1/2 years so waiting for an update for another year or so shouldn't make much difference. :)

Regards,

Ray

Right now all aircraft have or should have a weight set between the maximum landing weight and empty operating weight.

So for the 747 you're way overpowered compared to a typical takeoff weight but at least you can turn back and land without smashing the landing gear.

Descent profiles are not far of from the original because the landing weights are in normal range. And you don't use that much fuel for the descent and approach so that difference isn't as noticeable.

Consider all aircraft set up for a short haul medium capacity flight. All with lots of room for maximum takeoff mass but realistic for landing or shorter flights which are common in aerofly. I've yet flown around the globe in Aerofly, even tough you could technically fly from KJFK to LSZH. But who has time for that or enjoys watching the autopilot do its thing for 8 hours straight

Thanks Jan, This is good and useful information. Could you have a look at the 3 charts - Takeoff, Flaps, Landing - I posted above found at the wiki for the -500 and choose a recommended starting point for using each of the charts? This is simply a weight (mass) determination.

Regards,

Ray