Posts by Jetjockey10

I have another request, is it possible to pick up an airport made by another person to modify it on a personal basis, or to redo his personal version with FSCloudPort?

I think Phil will be activating a "share" feature very soon so two people who agree can both modify an existing airport. Send me a pm.

Regards,

Ray

Bringing many of our features together with a quick one-day project.

About noon yesterday I decided to build a few airports in the South of France using the recently released FSCloudPort. This only takes a matter of minutes, but then I needed to improve the pixel soup scenery. Remember, this is a totally foreign area when considering DLCs. I lived in the Toulon area, actually Sanary-sur-mer way back in my younger days. My young son attended a boarding school near Cannes so we picked him up by car or train on Friday afternoons and had him back in bed Sunday evenings. By trying to select a different route whenever possible we were able to see a lot of back roads in the Cote d'Azur.

There are 3 GA airports within 25 miles of my old home base so I added those airports plus a few more. I settled on a 25 nm x 20 nm block of scenery to improve to 1m/pixel using FSET, at a resolution of 9 - 14. This takes a couple of hours to download and process. I used this processing time to read up on the airports and surrounding communities. Cuges-les-pins and Paul Ricard's Race Track/airport at le Castellet makes some great reading. Isn't Google great.

I also used the time to create the 'cultivation' for this area. This might be the most bang for the buck of all our features. But, they are all easy enough, just a lot steps to keep in order.

Not that this is the greatest of scenery, but it is certainly a nice improvement over the default nothing and It provides a new and exciting playground for me to fly. Not to mention that it is far superior to anything that I could have done using my previous flight sim, which was near nothing actually.

I was never good at capturing those eye catching screenshots but, these will show what it looks like on my medium level system. The point is that any user can use these free and provided tools to create a personal flying area in less than one day. So, go have some fun.

Regards,

Ray

Did you say Ray. no, oh hoo-ray. ;)

I vote to adding the noisy flap motor to the C-172. But, that is just me. 8o

Regards,

Ray

I think there may be little or no elevation data up there for our airports to be grounded on. I made Kirkenes and got the same result. I would really love it if we could get all of Norway with good elevation data. Norway and Italy are where I daydream about owning my own charter airline lol.

Maybe TomSimMuc can make us a useable elevation with his source information. The sample area he made for me for the Bergen area works like a charm.

Regards,

Ray

Phil,

If you have a spare minute, ha, please see if you can figure out what is happening with the vertical lines from the surface to space when FSCP generates an airport anyplace in Northern Norway. Seems like slightly North of Bergen every airport is surrounded by these weird looking solid vertical lines, kinda like a broken wall.

I deleted all my scenery in that area, then deleted all the airports, then brought them back one by one to isolate the source. I redowloaded the airports, but the vertical lines were still present and only in that area.

Regards,

Ray

I have flown a lot of different small Cessnas over the years and if I didn’t hear the grinding sound of the flap motor I would instantly think I had an equipment failure. Very unmistakeable and certainly not quiet. I actually thought Cessna was not capable of making a quiet operating flap motor. 😏

The IPACS model must be a very unique model. Try any of the thousands of You-tube videos and I would bet not a single Cessna has a silent flap motor.

Regards,

Ray

Hello Aaron,

Welcome to Aerofly FS 2. A few of us jumped on your AFS2 Sound Pack as soon as we heard about it. The tire noise of touchdown is missing in all the default sounds and the gear and flap movements vary by model from OK to non-existent. I was pleased to hear that you assembled a sound package for us.

Regards,

Ray

I have to admit that the more we get the more we want to be added. I just made a flight in the F4U with the updated Skysong Sounds from Bergen, Norway to Stavanger, a location that I am personally familiar with. I used FSET to build a wide area 3m scenery overnight to connect the two areas that I had built HD scenery and added FSCP airports and structures a few days ago. I had TomSimMuc's elevation mesh to enjoy the small mountains along the way.

I used FSWidget's excellent AFS2 map add on to keep track of my progress and to identify communities along my path.

A month ago I would not have thought this would be possible this year. :/

Regards,

Ray

My vote is for Runway numbers.

I wish we could find a few basic or generally found terminal buildings added and get IPACS to add the articulating gates and moveable steps/stairs to the xref objects. Same for nearby airports objects like large water towers. I find the existing storage tanks are so easy to add and are very visible when looking for an airport in the distance.

Regards,

Ray

That is the main feature of the constant speed prop, the propeller and engine are rotating at a constant speed and thus the sound is pretty much constant as well.

This is a feature of the real aircraft (just get used to it)... one could add a bit more "load", so more lower frequencies, yes. But that requires some work on the sound engine as well if we want to add in a low-frequency gain.

I understand the effect of the constant speed prop - my first type rating was the DC-3 with the very similar sounding double wasp R-1830s. Although the F4U's R-2800 had 6 extra cylinders it was basically the same engine as the DC-3 just longer and more complicated. From the pilot's window the sound changes on a takeoff roll and climb out or the reduction in throttle is unmistakable. Those are very large props and when the pitch changes it can be easily heard and observed.

Regards,

Ray

Well we don't have 3D position sound yet but other than that you can do quite a bit with the tmd file and custom sound files. Just replacing the samples is probably not going to be enough here, to add more effects there is just no way around tweeking the tmd file and adding new sound triggers.

Jan,

I understand it is not time for sound updates. But, until it is time for that update, could one of the other plane's sound files be used as a replacement for the missing F4U sound file that varies the engine sounds with throttle movements? It is so unnatural not to hear some change when advancing or retarding the throttle on that big ole Corsair engine. Maybe use the B-24?

Regards,

Ray

Hmm. They didn't display. I must have screwed up something! They can be downloaded but they don't show up as images in the body of the text.

Help?

Oldar,

Why not just use the default Screenshot key, F12, and have full screen images to upload?

Regards,

Ray

One item to note. If you are expecting the F4U sounds to be fixed to vary with the throttle settings you will be disappointed. These replacement engine sounds may be somewhat better than the default sounds of the Corsair but if they remain constant and do not vary from idle to full throttle, why bother? This was the first upgrade that I checked.

Regards,

Ray

My brother has a house & plane at Breakaway. I'll send you a conversation once I start on the DFW area (maybe tonight).

What happens with FSCloudPort airports if someone creates a duplicate? Do you get to pick which version to download or is only the latest version available?

Right now, it is not possible to create a duplicate. The system will reject the second one. We have plans to be able to share or to assign a secondary owner for an airport if requested and approved by both parties, but this is not ready yet.

Looking at the groupings, you might want to make a flyover area of 3 of the Dallas airports just to see how long it takes and see how it looks. The files sizes are horrendous when you get in to the larger areas with HD. My Dallas airports area file is 4.64 GB for the dl 1- levels 9 - 14. but I have a smaller 3 ar file that is only 734 MB.

My son lives in Avery Ranch up front near Palmer so he in looking right down the runway path. Palmer curves around Breakaway, Texas did not have enough money to buy the right of way.

Regards,

Ray

Here's my initial 10 for Texas = DFW Intl, Love Field, Addison, McKinney, Wichita Falls, Paris (TX), Waco, Cedar Park (private airport near Austin), Corpus Christi, and Port Aransas.

Nothing far west or far north.

Ken

These are not very close to each other so you will need to decide how much scenery you want to build. I think I have done 7 of the 10. My son lives in the pattern for Breakaway which is only few miles from the grass strip in Cedar Park. I have all the larger ones done already in addition to a lot around Houston and all from Waco to San Antonio. I lived in Georgetown for a few years after I retired.

I would recommend you try to make one area for Dallas that covers the first four. You will need a separate area for each of the others.

I have 3 or 4 airports in my Waco group and 3 in my Corpus group.

If you like, we can start a Conversation and I can show you some of the completed areas.

Regards,

Ray

Phil, if I create an airport in Texas where there is not any hi-res scenery already in place like the US west coast or US east coast, how do I add hi-res scenery for my new Texas airport?

Ken,

You need to use FSET and GeoConverter to build the new non-DLC scenery. I usually make a fairly large “flyover” area using download level 2 - 4, processed at level 9 - 11, depending on the size, then I make high definition areas of dl 1, @ 9 -14, for each airport or sometimes a group of airports. This is usually a rectangle generally aligned with the runways to cover the approaches and departures.

Both Houston and Dallas areas have excellent quality hd scenery available.

I have built most of the scenery for Texas already, all except the far west and far north. What airports are you looking to add?

Regards,

Ray