Posts by Sycosys

The TFW file is only a facultative, secondary source you can write by hand if you don't have any INF...

if you pull jp2s from the USGS they already contain all this info. Just a matter of using the right tools to create the tfw for you. I am generating mine on-the-fly as I am projecting the jp2 into a lat/long coordinate system/converting it to tif. no need to mess about with inf files when you can just build it's coordinate system from scratch

The TMC coordinates only define the parameter coordinates around your project, you are reading way too much into this. Provide more information as to what you are trying to accomplish so that we can assist better.

i guess it would be helpful to say that the TFW files are where the geoconvert tool derives the tile positions from.

The tmc is a working region, defining a space in which the convert tool is working

the tfw are the exact positions and pixel sizes which are relevant to the placement of scenery tiles

Like I have said a few times now, using more than the x.xx format may cause you problems where you will run the job and find no output files. I've tested this and confirmed that this causes this; but not all of the time for some reason.

that's interesting. Haven't had that issue so far in over 300 converted images using up to and including 11decimal places, ill need to look into that. as Antoine mentions though only 2 decimals is not nearly enough precision to line up orthotiles..

Thermals are implemented but too rare. We had a similar thread a while back where we stated that we will look into this.

It's a known issue and we'll try to fix it by changing a few parameters.

My thermal experience origins from real world experience for years. Yes the thermals in Aerofly FS 2 are too rare and not good enough for cross country flying.

is mountain wave something even remotely possible in af2? I'd love to catch some.

I've noticed the same thing, Ridge lift seems pretty good but Thermals are not what I expect. Then again my thermal experience is from FSX so what do i know really?

hello Antoine,

For my programmatic solution this is the level of precision I'm pulling out of the imagery for the TMC file. After the 8th decimal place you are running into the sub centimeter resolution and there is no practical reason to go deeper (but my software gives me up to 11 decimal points so i kept them)

<[tmcolormap_region][element][0]

<[uint32] [level] [11]>

<[vector2_float64] [lonlat_min] [-105.000023181 39.6249718057]>

<[vector2_float64] [lonlat_max] [-104.937472093 39.6875151444]>

>

Does it work for both the 1m and 1feet imagery?

How can I use it? Is it necessary to install Python?

Thanks for the feeback on the workflow. :)

I wouldn't use the code i posted yesterday! I have made some changes and its better now. let me know if you want to play with it ill get you a proper copy

1 foot imagery should work exactly like the 1m imagery, since all calculations are based off the source image it should be fine... I will test when my swatch of the front range of the rockies is done processing out

for right now you need Python 2.7.13 installed and osgeo4w installed, im working on turning it into a more usable application.. but it might always require that we install osgeo4w.

once you have those items installed you can run the script from idle (python IDE). just change the paths to match where your data is coming from and going to.

It might confuse some users if it just closes when it stops running as the tool gives users notification that the job is completed. Some are seeing that when the tool crashes it also closes, that's why you have to press escape to close it manually.

Let me see if there is something else that can be done to change this, then close the tool when is finishes.

Are you going to try to automate for users of FSET as well?

Thanks for taking a look. Maybe if there were some commandline argument that could be used to flag it to auto close?

Once i have this usgs system working ill take a look at fset. I havent really looked at how it does things yet.

When running from command line it will always run from the root folder, just type 'cd test' and you will be in the correct folder to run the command.

I'm not too sure what you are trying to accomplish here.

ill delete this post but i am automating the production of everything from downloading jp2 from the usgs to publishing them in your scenery folder... almost done too.. been hacking at it agressively for the last few days.

Here in the US, that sort of stuff is often considered taxpayer property and free to use. I would be a bit surprised if it differed in this case, though I could see why it would have to remain free for distribution. (with appropriate attributions)

as i work on the tool to handle all this im thinking it'll be easier to just get that out to people and let them start building their own Naip based imagery... It would take me months to even start making a dent in the US given my datacap from crapcast.

Developing this in my time away from work so hopefully i can get it all together pretty soon.

working in the netherlands as well...

Thanks.. I got a reply from the usgs.. i need to reach out to the agriculture deptartment but they have similar rules as the usgs.

My Email:

Topic: Maps/Remote Sensing/Geospatial Data

Subject: Legal to create a free to download scenery package using NAIP imagery?

Message: Hello, I am working on a project to convert pretty much every NAIP 2015/2016 jp2 into a scenery file for the flight simulator Aerofly fs2. This will be freeware and would potentially be usable by people all over the world. Is this legal? can i use this public domain imagery as i have described? I dont want to get anyone into any trouble. Thank you

USGS Response:

Hello,

The National Agriculture Imagery Program (NAIP) imagery is actually a Dept. of Agriculture product. We help distribute it through our USGS systems. I would think that the Dept. of Agriculture has a similar policy when it come to public domain material as we do (free to use, credit source) but you may want to contact them just to make sure. Contact information is on this website: https://www.fsa.usda.gov/programs-and-s…ontact-us/index

Good day,

Ken Dixon

askusgs@usgs.gov

USGS Science Information Services - Anchorage

Disclaimer{this is not a complete application it has some place holders and hard coded elements}

All written in Python using GDAL open source

This application reads in an input folder containing jp2 downloaded from usgs

It converts the jp2 to tiff

it projects the tif into a latitude/longitude projection system

it extracts the corner coordinates NW/SE

it writes a TMC file

it writes the TFW

it writes the Bat in runs the command line geoconvert as subprocess

Current Bug: GDAL is moving the blue channel into the alpha channel for some reason making lakes and water transparent. I'm sure its a config problem, i should have it sorted by tomorrow or thereabouts

just had to specify 3 bands and it seems better

Still working on refining it and packaging into a tool but the guts are mostly there

I want to add a GUI

I want to add a usgs ftp downloader

I want to make the application run the bat file for us done

I want to clean up all extra data after each run so i dont fill up the harddrives done

I want to package it up into an exe if i can.. might require installing os4geo

Looking for any feedback.. if anyone wants to try it as it stands i can get you pointed at the software prequisites at this early stage

One Question

Is there a way to make the geoconvert window just close itself when it is done?

Attached python file as .txt

Just worked out how to snag corner coordinates for each individual image. Muahaha all opensource tools..

GeoConvert should handle arbitrary amount of input images.

If GeoConvert crashes, we either have a configuration problem or some other issue with the input images.

It might help to get an overview of your input images and your config files.

I should be more specific. It hangs. my ram usage spikes and eventually i run out and the whole system becomes unresponsive.

ill do some more testing

im going to email someone at USGS about this... I bet If we give away the scenery files I doubt there is issue, it's only when you make money off it they will get grumpy. This stuff is public domain.. Can anyone not in the USA try and connect to the usgs ftp site and download some imagery?

ftp://rockyftp.cr.usgs.gov/vdelivery/Data…/wv_2016/37079/

edit: Submitted a question the the usgs.. should know shortly what they say.

Hello, I am working on a project to convert pretty much every NAIP 2015/2016 jp2 into a scenery file for the flight simulator Aerofly fs2. This will be freeware and would potentially be usable by people all over the world. Is this legal? can i use this public domain imagery as i have described? I dont want to get anyone into any trouble.