Posts by Sycosys

Regarding the USGS data I have a task for you:

We need a TFW file for each image, reading the pixel size and the coordinates from the related XML files

I am generating world files after I reproject the jp2s from usgs.

The jp2s are coming projected in a version of web mercator which has coordinates in meters (easting and Northing) from some defined location... im converting everything into WGS84 (lat/long). After that the world files are all in the right format and ready to go for each tif. The next bit i need to work out is either calculating or extracting the coordinate of the lower right hand corner so i can inject that along with the upper left coordinate into the TMC.

I need to dive into GDAL a bit to work out some of the raster maths that will need doing.

Thats not a bad idea about trying a single level. I have a feeling i need more Ram though..

Just FYI trying to convert 68Gb of tiffs covering roughly 150 miles by 50 miles of the Colorado Front Range (or likely anywhere) will crash Geoconvert... Working on a script to chew through my 450 tiffs one at a time, creating the tmc and batchfile and running each one piece by piece..

Also built a script to pull down the USGS 1m NAIP imagery state by state based on year... might try to merge scripts so that it downloads/processes for coordinates and converts each image in turn.

The idea would be to just create the whole united states as i have the bandwidth to pull and convert.. heck if i do it right i dont even need to store the jp2s/tifs

Thank you for your advice. That makes sense.

Will the geoconvert tool create a smooth transition between high res and low res? Is there anything special we have to pay attention to?

I am not 100% sure. But they did mention that it supports alpha channel so you cloud use a buffer area to fade from high to low res and back again. This effect can be created with GIMP or many other image editors. I think you would want to blend the higher res into the low res so you would only edit the 1m and .3m images in the above example.

It would be a waste of hard disk space to place three images on top of another?

I think you could black out the pixels of the footprint of each higher res layer reducing the storage size by removing redundant imagery in favor of a highly compressible uniform color, like black.

2m imagery is on the bottom, you can black out the footprint of the 1m imagery on the 2m layer.

.3m imagery on top of the 1m imagery, you can black out the footprint of the .3m imagery on the 1m layer.

if there are blending concerns i'd just buffer the footprint and give a little overlap between each layer.

The disclaimer posted on the Wiki is derived from legal opinion based upon American copyright law in order to protect IPACS from any user misuse. If you choose to share any sceneries made using FSET, that's fine, as IPACS has only released a tool to convert aerial imagery from ANY origin into Aerofly FS2.

USGS imagery is 100% public domain. Crediting them is all you need.. I'd imagine the geological surveys of other countries have similar usage requirements..

I see what you are getting at with the source xmls. I'm using .3m imagery. I see the lat longs on the extents.

Another question, are you importing multiple files for an area or do you mosaic them into a single large image and import that? if you had all the required files could you import a ~10gb imagery chunk (like something dozens of miles or more on a side)?

I'm afraid due to copyright issues of the satellite images it won't be possible to share the scenery legally, at least not outside of the US.

It may be ok for personal usage only, I'm not really sure.

Regards,

Jan

isnt usgs imagery paid for by the american people through our taxes and has been made public domain? NAIP for sure and probably most Regional 1foot projects are public domain as well.

Good news... I was about to go ask that question in the ORBX Forum.

It's a gamebreaker in VR.

Really? it's a "game breaker", bit dramatic don't you think? so some buildings shimmer in the background if you happen to be looking at them... Broken game. cant play, life over. Burn the Computer!!!

Could someone please be kind enough to explain the following. 'This computer is VR ready'. Technology is moving to fast for me unfortunately and the old grey matter is struggling.

The only thing I know of VR is what I have read on these sites or on the net.

I take it then that there is something within the computer that helps the VR. Does the goggle plug into a USB port?

Many thanks for any reply.

Taranakian. (Jim)

Computer graphics hardware is a point where some of the older hardware would struggle with VR. The VR ready sticker is just informing you that the system has the graphical capabilities to create a good vr experience.

VR headsets as they are today plug into a USB3 port (as part of the positional tracking) and and HDMI port (for the video display)