Posts by crispy136

Have been loving FS2 and its photorealistic scenery, but the lack of Australian scenery has been a major disappointment. So the only thing to do was create some myself. I looked at all the tutorials available and gave it a go. After a very steep learning curve and some help from the forums, I managed a grid from Byron Bay in the south to Noosa in the north and Toowoomba in the west. After creating all the textures I have also used the excellent Fscloudport to create some individual airport buildings, runways and static aircraft for Toowoomba, Sunshine Coast and Redcliffe. The textures for the whole region are suitable for flying above 3000 feet and I have added higher quality textures around the airports for lower air work. The textures look great from the air but the appearance is a bit flat at ground level, so the Fscloudport detail at airports brings it back to life. Any texture colour variations are a result of the available imagery.

I still have to add airport buildings to Gold Coast, Caloundra Airport, Archerfield, Caboolture and Amberley. All airport details will be limited to that available from Fscloudport (due to my skillset and inclination). Brisbane airport itself is unlikely to have significant building details added due to the complexity of the terminal, but will do hangers etc. After that I'll start working my way north towards Cairns. The texture size is about 320MB for the main area textures for the area, between 40MB to 120MB each for the detailed textures for airports. The Fscloudport buildings etc are a quite small download with Sunshine Coast airport coming in at only 5MB The finished airports are already available for download at Fscloudport, but they don't include ground textures. Haven't thought about how I might distribute all this yet.

It really is impressive when you can pick out your own house as you fly over, so naturally my own place is in one of the high detail areas, but more by good luck than by good planning.

It is still very much a work in progress but thought I would share some screenshots for those Aussies out there hanging out for some Australian scenery for FS2.

Sunshine Coast

Maroochydore

Sunshine Coast Airport - buildings created with Fscoudport

Amberley Air Base - textures only

Gold Coast

Mount Tamborine

Brisbane from 35000 feet

'Redcliffe Airport - buildings created with Fscloudport

Toowoomba City Aerodrome - buildings created with Fscloudport

Thanks Ed. Fscloudport looks like a easy way to enhance the visually impressive scenery created using Geoconvert. 3dsmax and AC3D are a bit advanced for me at this stage, although I have viewed one of the tutorials for AC3D anyway.

Thanks Ed

That worked just great and the airport is selectable in the Location menu. It didn't create any visual runway just the option in Location so I guess that is a separate process. I see there are video tutorials on that.

I made all the Lon Lat corrections but still no luck on seeing the airport in the Location screen or when flying over the location. Corrected TSC attached. I am wondering if maybe FS2 doesn't support airports in the southern hemisphere, although the images work fine. Any help would be appreciated. yred4tsc.txt

Thanks whitav8. :)

I hadn't noticed that the program developers has swapped the usual Lat Long for Long Lat. Obviously a rookie mistake by me, but I wonder why would they did this anyway? This would also explain why my TMC file wouldn't produce any image files initially, as I caused the same problem there. It was only when I used the excellent 'Convert FSET to Aerofly TMC File' web page that I was able to get image files created for FS2. I had wondered why that worked but my original TMC didn't, but hadn't noticed anything obvious when I compared the 2 files.

I was successfully able to create some scenery for my home area of Brisbane, Australia using the scenery creation part 1 tutorial. It looks pretty amazing in FS2. Now I now want to add an airport to my scenery. I followed the airport tutorial and created a TSC file, placed it in the places folder, but the airport never shows up in FS2. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Have attached my TSC file for reference and have renamed it from tsc to txt to allow it to be attached. I have tried creating the file with both Notepad and Wordpad but nothing I have tried works.

Can anyone advise what I have done wrong?

yred2.txt

Thanks Jan, I also noticed that the reduced NP setting for the prop levers is not working. You can set the reduced NP setting for the props and it is confirmed on the centre display. When you increase power, the NP notification on the centre screen disappears as you would expect, but the props setting does not automatically increase to maximum and just stays at the reduced prop setting. I have used this feature in the past successfully on the Dash 8.

Regards, Chris

I have assigned a couple of buttons on my joystick to the Prop + and - in the controller config. While this controls the prop speed when using the Baron, it doesn't work for the Dash 8. Is there some secret to assigning the prop levers for the Dash 8? I have just had to rebuild Windows and I 'm sure it has worked in the past for the Dash 8.

Thanks, Chris