Posts by Raging Beard

Ive found a version and got it loaded but just seems to keep wanting me to set up Steam VR but i dont use that i use Oculus so it's not really working

Doesn't Oculus have it's own thing?

On The Glideslope uses Oculus and pulls windows in to his VR world in X-Plane, though it's an Oculus feature so I expect works in anything.

I don't have an Oculus so can't explain it, but go to 55s in this video...

I totally get the displacement thing, but would love it as an option.

For the most part it is really annoying. On the other hand, it does allow you to manipulate controls for comfort. So by grabbing the yoke and overly moving back and left the right amount, I can position my arm comfortably on my arm rest with the yoke now being centered.

Given the choice of one or the other though, I'd prefer the more realistic approach and that elastic band method sounds great.

I would love this application and it's available to buy on Steam.....only one problem for me, it only works on Windows 8 and above!!! I have 7. Anyone know if there is an old version available anywhere that i could use, that's if there was one?!

Thanks

It says "OpenVRDesktopDisplayPortal is now OVRdrop! The new version only supports Windows 8 or above".

That makes it sound like this previous version works with older versions of Windows. It's free anyway so give it a try!

Ah ok, fair enough.

I will say that is has worked perfectly for me for quite a long time, so I highly recommend it. I have even watched an in flight movie using it before in VR :)

Currently there are no supported ways to view FSWidgets from within a VR headset.

I just used FS Widgets in VR, worked perfectly using OpenVRDesktopPortal. Created a flight plan too with Quickplan and followed it.

Anyone playing in VR needs that program, you can have any window in VR, move it around, resize it, etc all with VR controllers. I have it small and transparent until I look at it, then it becomes clear and enlarges.

Co pilot. Believe it used to basically just fly the plane for you but the feature was broken by other updates a while back. Don't know if it's meant to be fixed again or not.

Hopefully someone else with more knowledge can chime in.

Haptic feedback on Vive is great now, thanks for that :)

One little nice addition if ever possible, would be a haptic response when you grab something. When I grab the throttle in the 172, I don't know if I actually have hold of it without looking at it and give it a slide. Same with anything really.

As I said before, I can't use a yoke as intended as the base unit is in the way, but there is a rather severe solution to this.

The Yoko Yoke can be supplied with different length of shaft, so long enough that you can reach a controller behind the yoke and operate things. Not cheap, but from reviews it's apparently a very nice bit of kit anyway.

It's in the same location as before; under the front panel and the yoke

Thank you!

I actually now think I maybe always thought there wasn't one lol, it really is tucked away under there. I think the image I had in my mind was from XP.

So basically for me, VR hands came with a bonus parking brake DLC lol.

Wow looks cool, I know absolutely nothing about G-seats... What are the pros and cons of one of these compared to a motion seat like Next Level Racing Motion Platform V3?

Thanks.

Well I had made a setup for VR flying where a Saitek Multi Control panel was bolted to a wood piece, which was bolted to the top of the yoke, and the throttle component also on wood lower down, all to the side.

Thanks to both AF and XP having hands, Multi Panel is now on eBay and throttle section back in the box :)

Intend to use yoke, pedals and VR hands only from now on.

***EDIT***

Cancel that plan. Even with nothing else around, the yoke itself gets in the way af flicking light switches and adjust a knob or two :(

Only solution would be to extend the reach of the yoke...

Oh but I did just manage 2 beautiful landings using the virtual yoke.

I do think a physical yoke in combo with VR hand for everything else would be the ideal mix. Achievable by having yoke stick out from desk, on a bit of clamped wood, which can just be slid back or put away when no in use.

I find with VR hand on virtual yoke it's hard to have any finesse. As I have stated on anoher post, I wish they would change it for a true 2 handed option in the same way 2 handed rifles are implement on good VR games. Or even how the VR mod for Richard Burns Rally lets you control the steering wheel with VR controllers. I believe they must use the measured angle between them or something.