Posts by nickhod

Yep, I'll add level 12 in the next release, Added it to the list.

I can't reproduce the 13377(!) tiles issue when I tried tile size 14, zoom 18 and level 14 & 15.

Let me know the Google Maps link if GeoConvert does this consistently.

Also there's now an option to "shrink" the TMC tile coordinates. Check that isn't causing an issue, although I can't see how it would get to 13k tiles

Hi Nick. Yes, its on the list - quite a lengthy list it is though. For now all I can offer is if someone wants to add to an airport they can ask the author to grant them editor access. That's working now. I think before then people want things like more XREF models, better lighting options, multi-airport download, correct scale footprint of an aircraft and choice of textures including grass. Solving the cross-over runway problem would be great of course as would creating taxiways!

Maybe when / if I get through everything with AeroScenery I can give you a hand!

What's it written in, PHP?

Hi Phil,

Have you considered supporting multiple versions of an airport in the same way that the X-Plane scenery gateway does? (Or maybe you do already).

Say I want to take someone's airport and add some custom made 3D models, it may be good to show both versions and let the user decide which they want.

For example, Cardiff Airport for X-Plane, various authors have attempted it

Version 0.6 is now released

https://github.com/nickhod/aerosc…s/tag/v0.6-beta

Lots of bugs fixed in this one.

- GeoConvert no longer runs if the user stops the generation process

- Open Map toolbar item now uses decimal point irrespective of system culture

- Map toolbar items are not enabled if a grid square is not selected

- FSCloudPort airport coordinates are parsed with a decimal point irrespective of system culture

- Custom message box form for catch all exception handling

- Airport markers are now shown correctly when "Show Airports" is pressed if the map has not been moved

- Database, wokring and SDK folders are now checked for existence on app start

- UI is locked while tasks are running to prevent collection modified exceptions

- Recreate raw and ttc folders before running GeoConvert

- Fixed issue with image tile stitcher where image was cropped to the wrong width

- Option to shrink grid square coordinates in the TMC file by specified value. Defaults to 0.01. This forces GeoConvert to snap "outwards" to the nearest edge

- AID files use exponential notation

- TMC files use more accurate coordinates

The misalignment issue that crispy136 and Trespassers reported is now fixed.

This also fixes the "why is GeoConvert generating too many tiles for level 13 and level 14 tiles" issue that TomSimMuc reported

Under some conditions, the code that crops stitched images was cropping too much. This was mainly noticeable with level 13 and level 14 tiles.

If you notice any alignment issues with image scenery generated prior to version 0.6, it's probably that issue. The solution is (unfortunately) to stitch and run GeoConvert again. Downloaded tiles are fine if you have those saved.

I tried it last week-end and I got the parsing issue you just fixed on FSCloudPort aiport coordinates. I was about to send you the patch but you were quicker..

Anyway, having looked at the code, I found that the stitching process does not run (yet) in parallel when multiple stitched images are generated. I had a little free time, so I played with the idea of implementing it. I attach the patch and the resulting source files for easier review (TileStitcher.cs in particular). Feel free to incorporate this change into your code. On my not-so-fast-computer, on a level 9 area, it went from 14mn41 to 5mn36. So it looks like a worthy optimization.

That's great thanks, I'll take a look. :thumbup:

Parallel stitching has been on my list for a while.

I am a software developer for over 35 years now, and i think it should be an easy task for ipacs to add a

• command line parameter like -q(uit) / -e(xit) or
    • an option in the tmc-file like <[bool][exit_when_finished][true]> or something like that to do that.

I think your idea looks like 'crack a walnut with a sledgehammer', so why not ask ipacs, should be an intermediate task for relaxing from r22 development ;)

Yeah, I talked to IPACS and they are aware of it. I'm hopeful they'll come up with an improved version eventually.

In the meantime I like a challenge ^^

Have attached the results of the map 13 sized tile extracted

Thanks for that. There's nothing wrong with my maths in the AID files, the only difference I can spot it that FEST output is using exponential notation (e,g, "7.15255737304688E-06") whereas I'm not (e.g. "0.00000553205609321594").

It's possible that the GeoConvert parser is taking the first 16 digits after the decimal marker and so losing precision from my AID output.

I'll make that change and give this area, with that airport, a try myself.

As I said, strange that IPACS chose to read in these tiny values rather than calculating internally from lat / lon.

Looks like the higher the zoom the more accurate the placement of the tiles.

Interesting result and needs some debugging by any willing volunteers!

There a few variables here to consider:

- In the "stitched" directory, the .aero files for each image give the top left and bottom right coords. In my testing, these appear to be pixel perfect. (Testing in the Northern hemisphere anyway).

- Also in the "stitched" directory, the AID files copy that top left value and also give "steps per pixel". I'm not sure why IPACS went with this vs also taking the bottom right coordinate and calculating the value internally. It seems there there's scope for error. I'm doing a simple width (in geo-coords) / pixels and length / pixels calculation. If I should be doing anything more complex, I don't know what it is.

- The TMC file there's the lat & lon of of image tile. GeoConvert should be snapping to it's own accurate tile boundaries. The tiles are contiguous so that's not the issue.

As the issue is more pronounced at lower resolutions, the issue is likely to be the "steps per pixel" value. It seems like it may only be out in one direction.

A good test might be to do one level 13 size square with Bing in AeroScenery, and try to do exactly the same area with Bing in FSET. Then compare the coords and steps per pixel in the relevant files and see where any differences are occurring.

I think when geoconvert can be started once, writes some protocol and ends itself with a defined exit code and can then be run with the next area and so on, that would be a wonderful workflow.

I'm currently looking at the feasibility of internally taking a screenshot of the GeoConvert window every 5 seconds and testing for the presence of any green (as seen in the success message).

Slightly bonkers but would work.

GeoConvert is definitely not made for running multiple instances. It's surprising it even works given the RAM usage.

Just renamed that also. Still no luck.

I see that folder re-created after my rename. Task Manager shows the process exit after one second before any window appears.
    Thanks for trying to help. Your suggestions had potential. Mystery remains.

Hi Greg,

As others mentioned, go to the start menu, type regedit, click Yes to run as Admin

Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Right click the AeroScenery folder and click delete. (You'll need to re-set your SDK folders etc.)

Failing that go to the Documents folder on your computer, AeroScenery folder > database folder > rename aeroscenery.db to _aeroscenery.db

The next version of AeroScenery (5.1) will never fail to start and will always tell you what's wrong.

I think I've fixed most of these "failed to start" issues in the next version, but being able to copy and paste good error reports will let me fix anything that remains.

Sorry for the annoyance in the meantime!

Also, I noticed that uninstalling AeroScenery using Window's "Add/Remove Programs" doesn't delete the AeroScenery folder from "Documents". This makes me wonder if there are more files spread around Windows so I could delete to make a 100% clean installatio

I don't think my installer uninstalls registry settings yet, that's the only other thing.

The stuff in the Documents folder is user data, so it leaves that on purpose.

One or more of your configured directories are wrong and AeroScenery isn't doing a good job of checking them on startup.

Another issue on the list!

Go to Start, Type "regedit" > OK Run as Admin > On the left "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" > Software > AeroScenery >

Check "AeroSceneryDBDirectory" and "WorkingDirectory". Double click to edit them.

Is there any chance you will be integrating the option of running ScenProc on the finished tiles to extract a polygon map for structures and vegetation to generate cultivation easier?

Eventually I'd like to have AeroScenery do that itself . If I don't have time to implement that I will look grabbing the relevant OSM data and opening scenProc though.

Hey guys! I was using AeroScenery normally until I had to quit it to shut down the computer while it was working. I pressed STOP and then GeoConvert window showed up. I tried to quit it and it didn't exit. I then had to force quit it.

Anyway, I turned on the computer today and tried to load AeroScenery and the app just won't open. I see the "loading mouse cursor" for a few seconds and then nothing happens. I uninstalled AeroScenery and installed again and the same thing happens. I just can't load it anymore.

Any tips? I'm on Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

Hmm. Can you try to start it then go to Start Menu > Type "Event Viewer" > Windows Logs > Application

You'll probably see something from AeroScenery in there. Paste it in here and I'll take a look.

If you go to your Windows Documents folder > AeroScenery > database, rename areoscenery.db to _aeroscenery.db. Try starting the app again and it'll create a new database.

If that does work, could you zip the _aeroscenery.db and attach it here as it'll help me debug what's gone wrong.

Thanks.

Thanks for the bug report.

In the next version the "Install Scenery in AFS User Scenery Folder" is greyed out. I can't implement it until GeoConvert is changed so I know when its finished.

In the meantime I'll try to add a separate manual "Install Scenery" button.

I decided I'm only going to write to a user's custom scenery folder rather than the main game folder.

I hope Aeroscenery will be able to generate cultivation too when generating orthos. :saint:

That's the plan. Kind of...

It wont be part of the main interface as there are too many options for cultivation processing and it has to be related to an airport.

The separate "Scenery Editor" window in AeroScenery will (eventually) allow you to easily

Generate cultivation from OSM data (AeroScenery will get the OSM data)

Manually place cultivation items

Add other objects from the Aerofly library

Add custom objects

Add airports, runways and other airport objects

Is there anything special about this (AeroScenery) png file?

Nick. Will it be possible to download and save as bmp files in a later update?

This seems to be a common Photoshop issue, although they do work on my Photoshop CC 2015. At least you got it to work.

The free app Paint.NET can be useful for quick image editing. Re-saving as a PNG in that usually works.

They're just a standard PNG file, nothing special. PNG is the right choice here due to lossless compression and transparency support.

If you download a grid square containing shoreline, the non-available tiles from Google or Bing bits will render as transparent, not white or black as I believe FSET does.

Hello,

I followed the instructions for installing Aeroscenery but the process does not finished and I do not get all the ttc files. What can be my mistake ?

Two possibilities:

1) In settings, GeoConvert tab, you might have Write Images With Masks set to "No". If so, try it on "Yes" (There's a known bug in 0.5 where masks will be created when they don't need to be)

2) GeoConvert does this sometimes. I've experienced it myself. It just gets "stuck" and fails to generate all the files you expect. Try it again and hope for the best.

Above the AeroScenery map, click the "Open Folder" button. Take a look at the stitched images folder. Make sure everything you expect is in there. If it is, it's a GeoConvert issue.

Hi Nick,

if you download my airport design package you'll find the basic information about the TOC files.

There exist some new features already, which may be added to the docu soon, but for a first approach you'll find the requested information.

Thanks. I hadn't found that zip before and it's really helpful.

Just tried 0.5.

Got the attached exception.

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the bug report, I was able to replicate this in 0.5.

In short I need to lock every setting in the UI until the generation process is done.

If you re-run the "Generate TMC Files" and "Run GeoConvert" processes again, but don't touch the UI while it's running, it should work.

(AeroScenery shouldn't let you change anything that breaks it of course, I'm not blaming the user here :))