Posts by nickhod

File and folder management can get a bit unwieldy with geoconversions. You could try and handle everything for people so that it outputs to the correct My Documents folder but sometimes with repeated conversions you want to do it manually. I'd recommend that the final conversion results in a single ZIP file so that people can move it to wherever they want, tidy up old stuff then unzip.

Second request - a simple config file and perhaps command line options to go with it. This way people could show screenshots of a nice location and share config files and with a simple process anyone else could obtain the same scenery. In fact i could build autogenerated config files into http://www.fscloudport.com

Your app could well be a gamechanger! IPACS should be stuffing $$$$ in unmarked bills into a safety deposit box for you!

Spit40 Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I'll give some thought to file output management. I was considering that it should optionally move final Geoconvert output straight to the user's AeroFly FS2 directory (bit harder to do with self elevated UAC). An option to zip up output would be easy enough though.

Config file is a good idea. I'd make it a simple XML file that you can open / drag into in the UI. I'm trying to make this app as easy to use as possible.

We can probably get a cross-over going between AeroScenery and FSCloudPort if you'd like. My UI could show FSCP airports and link to the airport page on your site. Your web app could give user uploaded config files to download the best available scenery near the airport.

I wholeheartedly support the unmarked bills idea!

- Anyone know what size tiles Ortho4XP uses? What size should I use? (Not the image tiles it downloads, the whole region you click on to download in one hit).

... look at here: Image tile coordinates

Thanks for the input, that helps a lot. I see how the grid system works now.

Seems like allowing users to select a square from the AeroFly FS2 Level 9 grid would be a good compromise between number of clicks and time to download.

Hi Everyone,

I'm a software engineer and I'd thought put together a Windows GUI app that works like Ortho4XP, but hopefully with an easier to use interface. The current FS Earth Tiles process seems overly labour intensive for something that should be a few clicks.

I decided to call the app "AeroScenery" and I picked up the domain aeroscenery.com

I'm ignoring the way FS Earth Tiles and Ortho4XP do things and instead going back to the basics of what is actually required.

My plan for the app is to allow the user to:

1) Search for a place by entering into a text box or navigate with the map

2) Click to select a tile to download (same size as Ortho4XP tiles)

3) Select a orthophoto source to download from (only Bing for now)

4) Select a zoom level to download

5) Multithreaded download the images

6) Generate AID / TFW / TMC files

7) Run Geoconvert as a background task

I intend to save info on which tiles you've downloaded at which resolutions so you can slowly build up a collection.

As the SDK documentation is 'sparse', I need some help to fill in gaps in my knowledge. Maybe some of you can help me out:

- What file format are the TMC / AID files? It's kind of XML but not valid. Wondering if I can get a prebuilt parser.

- The readme in Geoconvert mentions that each downloaded image needs an AID file. The tutorial says it needs a TFW file. Which is correct? Does it need both?

- Do the downloaded files need any special names, or will each just be handed in filename order by Geoconvert

- In the AID file, [steps_per_pixel] refers to the increment in latitude and longitude for each pixel from the [top_left] lon / lat value?

- I assume that Geoconvert is handling everything regarding topography data, or that's already in the simulator?

- Anyone know what size tiles Ortho4XP uses? What size should I use? (Not the image tiles it downloads, the whole region you click on to download in one hit).

I'll no doubt have many other questions to get this done.